Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Quick Physics Lesson: If you're locking tires (or engaging anti lock braking) your brakes have done all they can.

Without changing anything on the car, all you could have done as a driver was apply the brakes earlier. Technically, if your brakes lack bite, you're not getting maximum braking, but we're talking about a short period of time, under a second of braking lost, and 1 second is exceptionally generous. If you were almost stopped, and 1 more second of braking would have prevented the crash, you would understandably feel justified in improving the feel and engagement of your brakes.

A far better investment however, would be new tires.

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
If you are hell bent on getting drilled/slotted rotors, please get quality ones. They include the appropriate chamfers, material and treatment processes to prevent things like this from happening. I've seen some pretty impressive failure pictures from the Ebay and cheapo versions.

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
If you are hell bent on getting drilled/slotted rotors, please get quality ones. They include the appropriate chamfers, material and treatment processes to prevent things like this from happening. I've seen some pretty impressive failure pictures from the Ebay and cheapo versions.

View attachment 150771
For extra credit, for what is Ernst Gustav Kirsch primarily known?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Are these the factory tires? If so, you will see a huge improvement when you replace them. They are known to get hard and provide terrible performance and noise (but good MPG because of low friction). I would recommend looking at them sooner than later.
they're not the originals, but the previous owner replaced them with the same factory tires before trading it in, so they have ~15k on them. I think you're right though, better to replace them, enjoy the benefits and forget the cost. I've been looking through alot of reviews on Tirerack and there are 3 or 4 good choices at the top.

I haven't checked to see if anyone makes braided lines for the Pilot. You could definitely get them custom for a cost but also might help firm up some. I did some slotted and drilled rotors on the Sequoia with either Hawk or Porterfield brakes. Friction coefficient was definitely more confidence inspiring. The noise of the "whirrr" drove my wife crazy so they had to come off. I had also done just slotted on my Sonata which the biggest thing there also was it helped eliminate my brake fade after many stop signs on the way to firehouse.

One emergency stop really shouldn't hit brake fade for you though because you were more on full clamp not repeated heat, off gassing. The slots and holes allow those gasses somewhere to go so the pads stay in contact with rotor so might help a bit.

Sometimes you can't help the conditions or others. Check Tire Rack for some of the other tire choices that may provide better grip for braking/handling. You would need to decide based on where you live and your needs (snow/ice, mud, all road). Performance versions will have better grip normally in dry/wet but will probably wear out faster.

Should be too early but also keep up on brake fluid flush with good fluid. Look for one with a higher dry/wet boiling point.
it was definitely wrong place wrong time. With hindsight I could have stayed out of the wrong place, but that's easy to say in retrospect. Definitely a set of conditions I'll keep my eyes open for in future.

I think pads with a bit more bite and better tires should get me where I want to be. Brake fluid will be flushed again either this year or the next, usually use DOT4 as it's not much extra. I try and do it every two years. The extras (slotted rotors, braided lines) wouldn't hurt, but I don't think they'll be necessary for the kind of driving I do. First accident in 24 years, so did a lot of self-criticism afterwards.

Quick Physics Lesson: If you're locking tires (or engaging anti lock braking) your brakes have done all they can.

Without changing anything on the car, all you could have done as a driver was apply the brakes earlier. Technically, if your brakes lack bite, you're not getting maximum braking, but we're talking about a short period of time, under a second of braking lost, and 1 second is exceptionally generous. If you were almost stopped, and 1 more second of braking would have prevented the crash, you would understandably feel justified in improving the feel and engagement of your brakes.

A far better investment however, would be new tires.
I agree. Braking a little harder a little earlier, which I would have done if I knew the traffic was stopped over the rise, would have avoided the crash entirely. It's possible that might have gotten me rear ended, but there's no way of knowing. Again, I'm not really sure better brakes would have made a difference, but I think it will improve my confidence a little bit, especially as I tailor my braking style to the drivers around me. I have to brake a little harder a little earlier, even if that screws with flow, instead of using the gap ahead to coast/ brake a little until traffic picks up speed again. And stay out of fast moving dense traffic with poor sight lines..

Better tires are definitely on the list though..

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
602 Posts
I had done the SP Performance Rotors with drilled/slotted. They never cracked on me that I recall, but they did wear down and got thin, they also wore the pads faster. I did another set of just slotted that also worked well and on Sonata, the extra little "whirr" didn't bother me. They also worked well for eliminating my brake fade going to firehouse (12 stop signs in just over 1 mile)

I did have a cracked rotor once. My wife is NOT gentle on brakes. She had a '94 Ford Explorer and one day calls and says something is wrong with the brakes. She said it keeps making a bump noise and steering wheel moves each time. She got them hot enough and worn where the front rotor had a crack full through on outside of disc. Part of the problem was that the rear self adjusters had frozen which I found out afterward so they were not adding much extra.

·
Registered
10,326 Posts

View attachment 150771
Drilled rotors on a Pilot is just silly. I've never seen a Pilot racing in a Watkins Glen road course. As far as I'm concerned, it removes braking surface.
Seriously, if anyone wants better brake pads and rotors, I'm a huge fan of Raybestos Element 3 coated rotors and Element 3 pads with Hybrid Technology.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
602 Posts
Drilled rotors on a Pilot is just silly. I've never seen a Pilot racing in a Watkins Glen road course. As far as I'm concerned, it removes braking surface.
Seriously, if anyone wants better brake pads and rotors, I'm a huge fan of Raybestos Element 3 coated rotors and Element 3 pads with Hybrid Technology.
Have you ever experienced serious brake fade where no matter how hard you push the pedal your car does not slow down? When the pads get that hot they create a gas layer that puts a gas/air cushion between pad and rotor. Slots and holes allow that somewhere to go. Yes, it does remove some braking surface and metal that acts as a heat sink. Trade off based on what you experience and prefer (like performance vs. all terrain tires)

Normal need, probably not. I think places like Pike's Peak and some other mountain tourist places actually take temperatures of brakes coming down so you can pull over and wait until they cool.

Yes, proper driving, conservative etc. is the way to go. When you are the ambulance driver and need to get to the firehouse ASAP for a cardiac arrest, CPR in progress to get the ambulance on road some things change. Never be unsafe and jeopardize yourself or others. When Dispatch/Chiefs/Medic are calling "forthwith" things get pushed a bit.

I'm sure DaltonGang had a couple officer needs assistance/shot fired calls that resulted in an expedited response.

Raybestos Element 3 coated rotors, Element 3 Callipers and Element 3 pads with Hybrid Technology are working well on my daughters CRV. I might do those pads on Pilot when it's needed. After a NY winter the calipers are also still shiny silver.

·
Registered
91 Posts

View attachment 150771
WARNING, THE BELOW IS A JOKE:

This is why I plan to DIY:

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Reactions: bzwyatt

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
Have you ever experienced serious brake fade where no matter how hard you push the pedal your car does not slow down? When the pads get that hot they create a gas layer that puts a gas/air cushion between pad and rotor. Slots and holes allow that somewhere to go. Yes, it does remove some braking surface and metal that acts as a heat sink. Trade off based on what you experience and prefer (like performance vs. all terrain tires)

Normal need, probably not. I think places like Pike's Peak and some other mountain tourist places actually take temperatures of brakes coming down so you can pull over and wait until they cool.

Yes, proper driving, conservative etc. is the way to go. When you are the ambulance driver and need to get to the firehouse ASAP for a cardiac arrest, CPR in progress to get the ambulance on road some things change. Never be unsafe and jeopardize yourself or others. When Dispatch/Chiefs/Medic are calling "forthwith" things get pushed a bit.

I'm sure DaltonGang had a couple officer needs assistance/shot fired calls that resulted in an expedited response.

Raybestos Element 3 coated rotors, Element 3 Callipers and Element 3 pads with Hybrid Technology are working well on my daughters CRV. I might do those pads on Pilot when it's needed. After a NY winter the calipers are also still shiny silver.
I am a high speed highway driver (75 mph). Just never had hot brake issues.

Reactions: bzwyatt

·
Registered
602 Posts
I am a high speed highway driver (75 mph). Just never had hot brake issues.
Rush hour by me does that, then stops dead, than 75, then dead like a big slinky. I hate rush hour by me. $uck$ trying to get off the island for anything. $uck$ trying to drive anywhere almost all the time around me and getting worse.

Give it a shot, pretend you got the "Nailgrease, I'm having a heart attack, help me phone call and call drops, no answer when you call back" full throttle that Pilot for about 1/8-1/4 mile then slam on the brakes for stop sign intersection because somebody is coming from side crossing in front of you. You might not have to fully stop if no cars, repeat 10-12 times....THEN actually try and stop. Report back with results.

·
Registered
10,326 Posts

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
Rush hour by me does that, then stops dead, than 75, then dead like a big slinky. I hate rush hour by me. $uck$ trying to get off the island for anything. $uck$ trying to drive anywhere almost all the time around me and getting worse.

Give it a shot, pretend you got the "Nailgrease, I'm having a heart attack, help me phone call and call drops, no answer when you call back" full throttle that Pilot for about 1/8-1/4 mile then slam on the brakes for stop sign intersection because somebody is coming from side crossing in front of you. You might not have to fully stop if no cars, repeat 10-12 times....THEN actually try and stop. Report back with results.
Lol.
No, haven't had to drive like that in a long time now. I like being the vehicle maintenance man instead of being the one behind the wheel all day with time constraints. Been there done that. Easily drove over a million miles in all those salesman years.

·
Registered
9,258 Posts
Rush hour by me does that, then stops dead, than 75, then dead like a big slinky. I hate rush hour by me.
We called that 'rubberbanding'.
When I commuted in those driving conditions, a set of brake pads would last about a year and rotors about two.

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
75mph is high speed? I thought that was only what you dive into corners at???
Now I know why 3rd Gens with 18in rims are having issues. Its thos Bridgestone Dueler HP Sport AS tires that roll over in the corners. You can't help but ride the brakes whe cornering. My High Performance Sumitomo HTR A/S P02s solved this.
《Serious Comment - No Joke》​

Reactions: Highspeedbail
21 - 40 of 41 Posts