Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 with 71,000 miles. I did brakes/rotors in early 2019 and I have been hearing squeals for a while. I had the rotors cut down about a year ago and still hear a knocking sound when slowly braking. The same thing happened before I had the rotors cut last time so it's time to look for some new rotors.

The last time I did pads/rotors I went with Hawk HPS 5.0 along with centric premium rotors (black hat) for both front and rear.

Pads:

Front: Hawk HB856B.667
Rear: Hawk HB863B.605

For Centric Premium Rotors the part numbers were:

Front rotor: 120.40092
Rear rotor: 120.40091

I don't worry about my pads/rotors really lasting but I prefer to be able to stop on a dime. It's my wife's DD and my kids in the car are more important than dust (black wheels anyway so dust isn't an issue).

I'm thinking of trying out the Hawk LTS pads this time around and they have more bite at lower temperatures. I'm curious what your experiences are for what you've been using and why you swapped out your OEM pads/rotors to go this route.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
I got the "standard" Centric axle pack which includes uncoated rotors and "low noise" pads. I feel they performed similarly to the OEM brakes. At the time, funds were tight so I didn't spring for the coated rotors and higher level pads on the higher level axle pack. I've always stuck with Centric because the quality and longevity has always been good so I didn't see a reason to mix and match parts from various manufacturers.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
416 Posts
I've always used Centric premium blanks for rotors and been happy with them.

Haven't done pads on the Pilot yet, but the Akebono ProACT pad has a great following over on the Ody forums. Supposedly very good for our larger heavier vehicles.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I just bought a set of Powerstop Z23 pads for the front. We just got our Pilot back from a front end repair job after hitting the back of a car a month ago, just could not stop in time even with a large gap and already braking when the car in front started slowing down. I don't think it's just the brakes, but after coming off the rental (Nissan Versa!) they feel soft and I don't have as much confidence in them anymore. Rotors are still fine or I'd replace them with Centrics.

I had good results with Centric Posi-quiet ceramics on our '12 Outback, much better than the stock Akebonos.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,461 Posts
If you want to go local, NAPA ultra premium brake pads and rotors are great. You can get 20% off if you’re a AAA member.

Otherwise, the general consensus seems to be Centric is the way to go.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
We just got our Pilot back from a front end repair job after hitting the back of a car a month ago, just could not stop in time even with a large gap and already braking when the car in front started slowing down. I don't think it's just the brakes, but after coming off the rental (Nissan Versa!) they feel soft and I don't have as much confidence in them anymore.
Did you apply the brakes hard enough to trigger the anti-lock system?
How long has it been since the brake fluid was last changed?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,461 Posts
I think Pilots have spongier brakes compared to smaller cars. Every time a drive somebody else’s car and then go back to my pilot I feel like I have to stomp in the pedal to get it to stop.

However, it has always stopped me when I needed it to so I guess the brakes are fine. They just feel weird.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I've used powersrop z23 in my other cars and will keep using them. Used pbr and ebc on other cars in the past and they work great also. For the z23 price , they are hard to beat. Make sure you regrease the caliper pins and bleed the brakes.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
My buddy is getting me an employee deal for Duralast gold rotors and Duralast elite brake pads $187 out the door for both front and rear brakes and rotors. Tough to pass it up at this price. Think I’m going to give them a shot. Not sure if I’ll be happy yet but at this price it’s tough to say no.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you apply the brakes hard enough to trigger the anti-lock system?
How long has it been since the brake fluid was last changed?
hell yes, you could see rubber on the road for the 10ft behind the car. Probably 60mph down to 10-15mph, though I couldn't tell you in what distance, I was focussing on other things. Brakes were serviced by me about a year ago, new DOT4 fluid, caliper pins regreased, everything else checked.

I'm not putting this 100% on the brakes - lack of info was a big part of it, 4 lanes of traffic was stopped over the other side of a rise, car I hit had just gone over the top and I was on the rising slope. I saw brake lights come on started braking to adjust speed down then had to slam them on. Also, had a bit more weight than normal (extra 2 teens and beach gear), road appeared a bit greasy and tires were ~10% over inflated (not doing that anymore).

Either way, I've lost alot of confidence in the brakes, hence the new pads. Tires are next on the list (current Bridgestone Duelers) but they have alot of tread life left and it's hard to replace tires with only 10k on them..

·
Registered
267 Posts
hell yes, you could see rubber on the road for the 10ft behind the car. Probably 60mph down to 10-15mph, though I couldn't tell you in what distance, I was focussing on other things. Brakes were serviced by me about a year ago, new DOT4 fluid, caliper pins regreased, everything else checked.

I'm not putting this 100% on the brakes - lack of info was a big part of it, 4 lanes of traffic was stopped over the other side of a rise, car I hit had just gone over the top and I was on the rising slope. I saw brake lights come on started braking to adjust speed down then had to slam them on. Also, had a bit more weight than normal (extra 2 teens and beach gear), road appeared a bit greasy and tires were ~10% over inflated (not doing that anymore).

Either way, I've lost alot of confidence in the brakes, hence the new pads. Tires are next on the list (current Bridgestone Duelers) but they have alot of tread life left and it's hard to replace tires with only 10k on them..
Are you really scrutinizing the braking performance of a modern production vehicle and taking into account all the different variables and factors of weight, road greasiness, tire pressure, etc. If yes, I suspect that it's your driving skills and/or thought process that might need improvement and not your vehicle. It is isn't a race track. And you're never going to be able to overcome all situations with aftermarket or modified equipment. I've driven a 2017 Pilot both loaded and unloaded and under normal street driving conditions, the vehicles is not handicapped in any way. You're entering into an area of diminishing returns.

·
Registered
43 Posts
thank you for the reminder why being honest and open on the internet only invites criticism and second guessing. You don't know me, the road conditions at the time or really anything else, yet you seem to feel the need to say this isn't a race track and that my driving skills and thought processes are what need improvement.

Oh and to add to all of that, we were one of 4 separate accidents in the space of a few hundred yards. 3 crashed cars in front of us, 2 or 3 crashed cars behind us and 2 crashed cars in the next lane. Only the car I hit and our car were able to drive off of the highway, and no one in our car suffered any injuries. Even the police officer who took our details had been in the exact same type of accident on that exact same stretch of road a year previously.

You also seem to suffer from reading incomprehension. I stated that I was previously happy with the brakes on our Pilot and that the accident was due to many factors, some out of my control, yet after driving our rental for 5 weeks the Pilots brakes feel soft and lacking in response, hence the desire to improve matters with aftermarket pads. If you care to read any other of the many threads on this subject on this forum you will see that I am not alone. I and only I will be the judge of the merits or otherwise of these brake pads.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
More bite will certainly inspire more confidence, but it sounds like those pads were capable of activating ABS and even locking up the tires at slow enough speeds. Hard to improve beyond that for at-the-limit braking but for anything up to that better pads may help.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
More bite will certainly inspire more confidence, but it sounds like those pads were capable of activating ABS and even locking up the tires at slow enough speeds. Hard to improve beyond that for at-the-limit braking but for anything up to that better pads may help.
Tires that perform better under braking would then be necessary.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Tires that perform better under braking would then be necessary.
Agreed, find out where the mechanism is failing and modify as necessary. In this case, higher friction between the road and tire. Do I smell a Sumitomo recommendation coming on? I know you love those.

·
Registered
43 Posts
that's all very true. Lots of factors at play and I wouldn't dream of suggesting that different brake pads would have made the difference between having an accident or not. It's more of a confidence thing than anything else. New tires are also on the list, partly for all the above reasons but also because they're pretty loud (Bridgestone Duelers). They still have a lot of life on them though...

edit - pads arrived today so when I get a spare moment I'll put them on and report back.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
that's all very true. Lots of factors at play and I wouldn't dream of suggesting that different brake pads would have made the difference between having an accident or not. It's more of a confidence thing than anything else. New tires are also on the list, partly for all the above reasons but also because they're pretty loud (Bridgestone Duelers). They still have a lot of life on them though...

edit - pads arrived today so when I get a spare moment I'll put them on and report back.
Are these the factory tires? If so, you will see a huge improvement when you replace them. They are known to get hard and provide terrible performance and noise (but good MPG because of low friction). I would recommend looking at them sooner than later.

Confused with someone else you must have me.
Nope, you two are basically one person at this point...

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
591 Posts

I haven't checked to see if anyone makes braided lines for the Pilot. You could definitely get them custom for a cost but also might help firm up some. I did some slotted and drilled rotors on the Sequoia with either Hawk or Porterfield brakes. Friction coefficient was definitely more confidence inspiring. The noise of the "whirrr" drove my wife crazy so they had to come off. I had also done just slotted on my Sonata which the biggest thing there also was it helped eliminate my brake fade after many stop signs on the way to firehouse.

One emergency stop really shouldn't hit brake fade for you though because you were more on full clamp not repeated heat, off gassing. The slots and holes allow those gasses somewhere to go so the pads stay in contact with rotor so might help a bit.

Sometimes you can't help the conditions or others. Check Tire Rack for some of the other tire choices that may provide better grip for braking/handling. You would need to decide based on where you live and your needs (snow/ice, mud, all road). Performance versions will have better grip normally in dry/wet but will probably wear out faster.

Should be too early but also keep up on brake fluid flush with good fluid. Look for one with a higher dry/wet boiling point.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts