Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone help me regarding what my legal rights are regarding a vehicle purchase?I was going to pick up my Pilot on Wednesday when I received a call 1 hour before I was ready to leave for my Dealer Stating that the vehicle I was picking up had a towing package installed on it. The cost would be $1100 but he could give it to me for $895. I had a signed sales contract with a VIN# and worksheet (with specific pickup info on it) that did not include a towing package. I didn’t order it! I would have taken the Vehicle if he didn’t charge me for it. I lost a day of work, returned my other leased vehicle so I have no car. What recourse do I have against the dealer? Seems like Bait and Switch!

PS dealer said they would maybe have another vehicle for me next week. They didn’t know the towing package was on the car until it was prepped. That info wasn’t on their inventory records. Is that my error?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Sounds like you have a free tow package

I would go in with your paperwork and a lawer (hopfully a friend or familiy member) and drive home with your Pilot at the agreed price.

As for what your legal rights are, that depends on 1) the State, and 2) what all the paperwork says (contract implied or explicit).

But they may just drop their shorts if you look scarry enough.

Best luck, its worth a try.

:2:

·
Registered
191 Posts
IMHO, If you do have a signed sales contract, they can't "force" you to pay for anything extra that does not appear on that contract. Sounds to me like that they screwed up and are testing the water to see if you'll help dig them out.
DON'T PAY FOR ANYTHING THAT YOU DIDN'T SPECIFICALLY ASK FOR! That is the whole purpose of signing the contract in the first place.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I think they are lying to you.

The towing packages are all installed by the dealer. They do not come from the factory that way. There is no way the dealer couldn't know it was installed. I guess it is possible the sales person didn't know; but someone in the dealership had to install it. Since someone in the dealership installed it and the sales person is an agent of the dealership they had constructive notice of its installation. Since you have the VIN and (based upon what you posted) a signed contract with that VIN on it, I think you have a VERY strong argument that Pilot belongs to you. If they don't want to Give you the towing package, have them remove it at their cost. I suspect it is more practical to give it to you. STAND FAST.:29:

·
Registered
241 Posts
$895

As exasperating as this is:

You can't get a lawyer for 895, you'll lose weeks of sleep, 25 lbs, your marriage, your job, and probably your dog will leave you too.

You may get the AG's office involved but then see above; and it will now be August '03

Pay the man get the vehicle, post the dealer here, and never go back.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
You don't need a lawer

Just a friend who is a lawer.

:)

Its a tactic, just they are doing to you.

Try this trick. Walk in with teh check made out for the amount you want to pay, or better yet, the cash.
Lay it on thetable, and they will have a hard time saying no , and letting you walk out.

At least take in a printout of the on-line price from HandA and lay it on the table.
Tell them you will not pay a cent more.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Oh, one more thing.

When the deal is done, tell the General Manager, not the sales manager, how disapointed you are at being lied to.

·
Registered
29 Posts
you did the right thing

You did the right thing in rejecting the car with the b.s. extra. Legal options aside, I would contact the manager at the dealership, explain the trouble they put you through, and ask for something that you want as a show of good faith by the dealership -- maybe the all-weather floor mats or something like that. If they say no, just tell them that you are disappointed and that you will make your disappointment clear on the Honda survey and this website. Then ask them (politely) to reconsider. Walk through their mistake and the imposition they caused again. Just be persuasive, friendly, and firm.

Good luck.

schmoop

·
Registered
168 Posts
It amazes me the $#!t that some of the dealers listed on this forum try to get away with. Here is my uneducated lowly salesperson opinion. You have a signed contract with a VIN # and delivery price! That is all you need. There is a few points I would like to reiterate from this thread.

1. Signed contract = done deal......go get your Pilot.
2. Their mistake, not yours..............go back to 1.
3. SoapPlant (I think) bought (signed contract) for a DVD Pilot a DVD Odyssey price!......................go back to 2.
4. Most dealers won't uninstall something, make an offer for them to take it off at their expense, or don't...............but either way, "I am walking out of here with MY Pilot that I signed for on YOUR paperwork"......................go back to step 3.

My take is this, you don't need a lawyer, you don't need to have mats thrown in, you need the vehicle that you and the dealer agreed to on a legal document. If nothing else works, threaten Attorney General, Better Business, and to picket the store on your off days! If nothing else, you will give them alot of heartache! :9:

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
A dealer near me advertised on the radio a couple years back for Accord LX automatics for $15,900 and SE's for $16,900. A guy where I worked went to get an LX auto for the radio advertised price, but the dealer said they didn't have any at that price, only these with all these dealer added options... :rolleyes: He called the attorney general and the BBB. He got his car at that price, no accessories, but he didn't want any. It was the same with the SE's. Five, I repeat, five friends of his that worked with him went and got the same deal. They would just mention his name, and the dealer would cough up a car at the advertised price.

I haven't heard any ads like that since....:12:

This was a classic bait and switch.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts