Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my first long road trip to Colorado from New Mexico, outside of Walsenburg CO. I started to notice a strange smell, when I slowed down my front end shook, right away I thought BRAKES. I stopped and sure enough my left front brake rotor was smoking hot, it was hot enough to warp the brake rotor, that's why my front end shook during braking.

I stopped and thought this is great, I just bought this car in March and I'm already having problems.

I decided to try and make it to Walsenburg, then maybe find a dealer in Pueblo CO. I slammed the brakes a couple of times and hoped this would jar the caliper open. Sure enough as I was driving the caliper must have opened and returned to normal because the rotor cooled down and braking returned to normal.

I decided to try and make my destination Fort Collins. Between Walsenburg and Fort Collins I stopped several times to check the brakes and everything seemed normal.

On my return trip home the Pilot drove flawlessly, I have set up an appointment with my dealer this week and I'll let you know if they find the problem.

:3:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Holy cow, that's kinda scary!

strujillo, sorry to hear about your problem there. This is the first hearing about a brake lock up on a Pilot. I'd hate to think that it can happen to me someday, particularly when we usually make our way to the Canadian Rockies during the holidays and drive through those meandering and steep mountain roads. Let us know what your dealer finds out for you. This is not good.

·
Registered
305 Posts
hmmmmm

I hope this is complete coincidence, but my sister had this same thing happen on her Civic just recently. hope its not a honda habit. the pilot is my first honda purchase.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Bad news!

I hope this does not become the norm for the Pilot. I ditched a chevy suburban because of that same brake lock-up problem.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Bad news!

Jiaronnis said:
I hope this does not become the norm for the Pilot. I ditched a chevy suburban because of that same brake lock-up problem.
Based on an informal sampling of issues on this board, I would say it happens less than the dredded Weak Lights, or Hard starting.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry for the late update..out of town on business

Met with the dealer explained my problem with the caliper locking up. They checked the proportioning valve, all the brake lines and the caliper itself, of course no problem was found.

The dealer offered to replace the caliper and the rotor to ensure I would have no problems in the future. So everything ended well, I still love my Pilot and life goes on.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
strujillo said:

I decided to try and make my destination Fort Collins. Between Walsenburg and Fort Collins I stopped several times to check the brakes and everything seemed normal.
Sorry to read of the problems with the caliper. I wonder if you had a very small spec of dirt on the piston or one of the pins?

It's good the dealer elected to replace both the caliper and rotor in any case! :)

So, why didn't you wave :18: as you came through on your way to Ft. Collins? :8:

:2:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Colorider

Next time I'm in your area I'll wave as I go by:18:

The truth is after the first part of that trip I could hardly wait to drink a cold one at the Coopersmiths, and I did as soon as I arrived in Fort Collins:7:

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
strujillo said:
Colorider

Next time I'm in your area I'll wave as I go by:18:

The truth is after the first part of that trip I could hardly wait to drink a cold one at the Coopersmiths, and I did as soon as I arrived in Fort Collins:7:
Sounds like a plan!!!! Maybe I'll go raid the fridge and grab one myself!

:7:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts