Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came across a few web sites that sell LED tail lights which fit in the incandescent sockets. Has anyone tried these?

This morning I drove to work behind a Cadillac which had them. I like how they illuminate quicker than normal tail lights, plus they look cool.

..Alpha

·
Registered
173 Posts
AlphaPepper said:
I came across a few web sites that sell LED tail lights which fit in the incandescent sockets. Has anyone tried these?

There was a brief discussion of LED lights on this reflector many moons ago. As I recall, it was felt that the design of the Pilot tailights relied heavily on the typically wider beamwidth of the incandescent lamps to function properly.

Does anyone have any more detailed information??

·
Registered
46 Posts
AlphaPepper said:

This morning I drove to work behind a Cadillac which had them. I like how they illuminate quicker than normal tail lights, plus they look cool.

..Alpha
He's right. There was a thread on this. More or less, I agree that the incandescent is probably better. There are a couple of companies that make really good LED's, but not the Autozone variety.

Do the search, I'm pretty sure it'll answer your questions.

Ted

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
wmquan on the MDX board did some test fitting and usability of LEDs. They weren't effective in the "reflector-optimized" sockets on the MDX. Basically, the light straight back was OK, but at any angle he felt it inadequate due to the reflector design. Of course, the Pilot might be different. Or not.

You might check www.acuramdx.org and search for LED posts by him. Several months old.

·
Registered
50 Posts
It looks to me like the reflector in the taillight depends on the light coming from the bulb in all directions. LED's are directional out the tip of the LED itself which might hurt the performance quite a bit.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Netdisty has wedge based LED lamps which emit from the sides as well as the front. Since they fit a 3157 based they would have to be modfied to fit the Pilot tail light. They're pricey, but they should work. Netdisty also has an LED replacement for the high mount brakelight which is reasonably priced. I plan to buy both eventually.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Folks,

I was thinking replace the 3rd brake light with with LED bulb but I found several problems:

1. The high mount brake light bulb is inserted in to the bulb housing from the side (check your Pilot owner manual), so LED bulb will work poorly at a 90 degree angle.

2. The lower brake light housing already is designed with a multi-flector and it sure got the LED "look" already. LED brake light will not work well with the reflector.

3. The LED bulbs burn so little power so it might trigger the "brake light" warning light of the Pilot (car thinks the brake light is burned out). You need to buy another module to waste the same amount of energy to work around the problem created by the LED bulb (I saw the module sold on ebay).

I am thinking about adding a day time running light to the front using the LED bulbs. I can wire it so It will be on all the time with the engine/key at the "ON" position.

Tat
2003 EXL-RES
Electrical Engineer

·
Registered
196 Posts
tatng said:
Folks,

I was thinking replace the 3rd brake light with with LED bulb but I found several problems:

1. The high mount brake light bulb is inserted in to the bulb housing from the side (check your Pilot owner manual), so LED bulb will work poorly at a 90 degree angle.

2. The lower brake light housing already is designed with a multi-flector and it sure got the LED "look" already. LED brake light will not work well with the reflector.

3. The LED bulbs burn so little power so it might trigger the "brake light" warning light of the Pilot (car thinks the brake light is burned out). You need to buy another module to waste the same amount of energy to work around the problem created by the LED bulb (I saw the module sold on ebay).

I am thinking about adding a day time running light to the front using the LED bulbs. I can wire it so It will be on all the time with the engine/key at the "ON" position.

Tat
2003 EXL-RES
Electrical Engineer
I found out about the center brakelight myself, AFTER I bought a std wedge mount bulb. I still have it in place, no "Brake Light" warning light yet. The 194 LED bulb sold on Netdisty is a 90 degree mount, and will address the angle issue. Here's another bulb that should work in the center position.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts