Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

Just received an 08 Pilot and I want to swap out both the low beam and high beam bulbs for either LED or HID bulbs as the night vision is a bit weak...

I like the idea of LED's because there is no extra ballast that needs to be mounted. I've also heard cons like LED's flicker? Has anyone had any good experiences with theirs and would recommend? What brands/models are you running? Links to any products or pages on the forum would help greatly.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I switched our G2 Ridgeline from halogens to LEDs, both high and low beams.....simple plug-n-play. Low beam difference is amazing.....high beam difference is incredible. I bought Fahrens brand at Amazon $38/pr, 2 yr warranty. Don’t know much about LED headlights or that Fahren brand. I do know the chip alignment is very important but the alignment adjustment is easy. I also noticed the 12K+ reviews at 4.5 stars overall.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I switched our G2 Ridgeline from halogens to LEDs, both high and low beams.....simple plug-n-play. Low beam difference is amazing.....high beam difference is incredible. I bought Fahrens brand at Amazon $38/pr, 2 yr warranty. Don’t know much about LED headlights or that Fahren brand. I do know the chip alignment is very important but the alignment adjustment is easy. I also noticed the 12K+ reviews at 4.5 stars overall.
My ‘04 Pilot headlights have an OEM rubber cover behind the halogen bulb. Did your G2 Ridge have the rubber covers?

·
Registered
841 Posts
Negative, nothing around the bulb backside. 1/4 turn counterclockwise to remove old, 1/4 turn clockwise to install new, looking at backside of the bulbs.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Super Moderator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,260 Posts
Speaking as the other guy on the road I would suggest the HID, not LED. Yes they are brighter, yes they put out a lot of light, i know, my 2020 Passport Touring is full led.

With that said, LED headlights are not just about the bulb, They are also built with projector housing to focus the light. HIDs will be brighter but not as bright as the LED. A while back on another forum an individual did what you are contemplating complete with photos. A couple of weeks later the person was back complaining about people flashing their lights at him on low. Long story short, it was pointed out that even though the headlights had been properly aimed the photos showed the LED's lighting up the tops of the trees in the comparison photo.

Too much light spillage in standard fixtures for LED's. But that is just my opinion as one of the people you may blinded while I'm coming at you on road.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,402 Posts
Speaking as the other guy on the road I would suggest the HID, not LED. Yes they are brighter, yes they put out a lot of light, i know, my 2020 Passport Touring is full led.

With that said, LED headlights are not just about the bulb, They are also built with projector housing to focus the light. HIDs will be brighter but not as bright as the LED. A while back on another forum an individual did what you are contemplating complete with photos. A couple of weeks later the person was back complaining about people flashing their lights at him on low. Long story short, it was pointed out that even though the headlights had been properly aimed the photos showed the LED's lighting up the tops of the trees in the comparison photo.

Too much light spillage in standard fixtures for LED's. But that is just my opinion as one of the people you may blinded while I'm coming at you on road.
The brand Fahren seems to include tools that allow you to adjust the lights. Pairing that with the fact that you can adjust the aim of your headlights there should be no issues with using LED lights. Its just trial and error, but if you take your time you can figure it out.

·
Super Moderator
4,260 Posts
The brand Fahren seems to include tools that allow you to adjust the lights. Pairing that with the fact that you can adjust the aim of your headlights there should be no issues with using LED lights. Its just trial and error, but if you take your time you can figure it out.
Light is light, it will scatter where ever it can. Turning the bulb may do a minor adjustment to what axis it scatters most from. The housing is the problem in the mix when installing significantly brighter light emitters, be it LED's or super bright bulbs of another kind. I have a 1.5 million candle power spot light. The light will easily illuminate at ground level everything in its path for 2 + miles. It's a 12V bulb. I could jury rig a couple of those bulb into a standard housings. The light would still be overpowering as well as scattered.

That is the reason LED headlight fixtures are projector fixtures, with projector lenses to focus the light in a narrow beam, something that a standard headlight fixture will not do.

I'm all for LED headlights, I have them on my vehicle, but they need to b,e for the good of others on the road, in the proper projector fixture to concentrate the brighter light.

Just my 2¢ on the matter.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I started out with just the low beam as I had a burned out halogen. Amazon has a great return policy so I thought, what the heck and placed an order. Both LED bulbs needed to be aligned to vertical, easy to do, only takes a minute. I placed a mark on the backside, using a Sharpie, to indicate vertical. So satisfied with the Fahren low beams, I ordered the Fahren high beams.

To me, 12K+, mostly favorable reviews says something.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,249 Posts
A couple of weeks later the person was back complaining about people flashing their lights at him on low.
That would be me, and everybody who's more annoyed by the unsafe glare than frightened by the infamous urban myth.

Maybe In a perfect world of conscientious and considerate humans; however, in the real world...

·
Super Moderator
4,260 Posts
That would be me, and everybody who's more annoyed by the unsafe glare than frightened by the infamous urban myth.

Maybe In a perfect world of conscientious and considerate humans; however, in the real world...

View attachment 141218
Thing is, the guy properly aimed them. He had photos of the OEM and the new LED's aimed at 25' as they should be, but the light scatter was so much greater with the brighter lights. This was the procedure he used. How to Aim and Align your Headlights Correctly

·
Registered
1,402 Posts

View attachment 141218
Well I'd assume people who took the time to ask on here would be willing to put a little more effort into ensuring they don't blind oncoming traffic. I'm planning to convert my low beams and fog lights to LED after I replace the headlight assemblies. I'll make the effort to adjust them.

Its funny the other day I passed a new Pilot on the road at night with LED headlights. They were (in my opinion) unnecessarily bright and did mess with my eyes for a minute.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Light is light, it will scatter where ever it can. Turning the bulb may do a minor adjustment to what axis it scatters most from. The housing is the problem in the mix when installing significantly brighter light emitters, be it LED's or super bright bulbs of another kind. I have a 1.5 million candle power spot light. The light will easily illuminate at ground level everything in its path for 2 + miles. It's a 12V bulb. I could jury rig a couple of those bulb into a standard housings. The light would still be overpowering as well as scattered.

That is the reason LED headlight fixtures are projector fixtures, with projector lenses to focus the light in a narrow beam, something that a standard headlight fixture will not do.

I'm all for LED headlights, I have them on my vehicle, but they need to b,e for the good of others on the road, in the proper projector fixture to concentrate the brighter light.

Just my 2¢ on the matter.
My low beams are projectors so does that mean using LEDs in those are ok? And with the fog lights, they are so low to the ground they won't affect much?

·
Super Moderator
4,260 Posts
Well I'd assume people who took the time to ask on here would be willing to put a little more effort into ensuring they don't blind oncoming traffic. I'm planning to convert my low beams and fog lights to LED after I replace the headlight assemblies. I'll make the effort to adjust them.

Its funny the other day I passed a new Pilot on the road at night with LED headlights. They were (in my opinion) unnecessarily bright and did mess with my eyes for a minute.
Could you tell what gen it was? Would be interesting to know if had OEM's or aftermarket bulbs. I have learned to dim my brights a little bit sooner on the highway these days as they vastly exceeds the 500 ' range that the state statue requires. I also dim them sooner now when coming up behind a vehicle at night.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
Still love my stock halogens. Just maintain your housing to keep it from fading and it'll do you fine.

·
Super Moderator
4,260 Posts
My low beams are projectors so does that mean using LEDs in those are ok? And with the fog lights, they are so low to the ground they won't affect much?
Projector housing should focus the light in a tighter beam so I suspect that you should be good. Some HID fixtures were projector for the same reason. My fogs are LED's as well, but they are not as bright as I put Lamin-X yellow fog light film on them. Much better in fog than extra white light.

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Could you tell what gen it was? Would be interesting to know if had OEM's or aftermarket bulbs. I have learned to dim my brights a little bit sooner on the highway these days as the vastly exceeds the 500 ' range that the state statue requires. I also dim them sooner now when coming up behind a vehicle at night.
It was 3rd gen. Looked like the 3rd gen with the updated grille.

·
Super Moderator
4,260 Posts
It was 3rd gen. Looked like the 3rd gen with the updated grille.
Interesting. I believe that it is a HID bulb for some of the 3rd gens, depending on the model. Wonder if they replaced the bulb with something brighter or if the aim was just off. Hard to tell. What ever it was however you got first hand experience with the problems of messing with headlights can be.

·
Registered
9,249 Posts
1 - 20 of 41 Posts