Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had purchased a set of older style Sealight LED bulbs for my truck a while back. The company reached out to me and asked if I wanted to review some for them, so I decided to put them in the Pilot and see how they did. For standard reflector housings, the light cutoff line was decent. And the output was very good. Fantastic road coverage and good down road throw.

Just tossing these out as an option if you are looking for some upgraded output. I ended up disabling the DRL function by removing the #37 7.5 amp fuse on the interior fuse panel. The issue was that the high beams now come on full brightness and I mean BRIGHT with these LED's. So even in the daytime I felt it was a bit much and decided to just disable it.

H11: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BJMKDD5

9005: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BJTNPK1

Before:

After:

Here is the cutoff up against a building. You can see some amount of bleed above the line, but this is pretty typical of a reflector lens.

The lenses really showed how nasty they were with the new bulbs in there. So I did some work polishing them. Did ok...but you can still see some surface issues and they keep hazing up some on the top edges. Not real interested in new housings but that may come down the road.

I did not like the LED's in the fogs. The light was a bit too intense and too much bleed up toward oncoming drivers eyes. So I switched to some amber (more gold colored) H11's and like them much better.

Fog amber H11: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GTC42CL

·
Registered
176 Posts
Nice. Thank you for sharing this information. It is helpful and I will have to check these out when its time for me to replace some of my bulbs.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
LED's have come a long way. They now are thinking right and creating the chip location to mimic the halogen light source location to correctly utilize the reflector as designed. And I have had sets that had horrible throw and were worse than the original halogen bulbs. But now days, they are far better. Just still not as ideal in a reflector housing as with a projector which will create much better cutoff and light control.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had purchased a set of older style Sealight LED bulbs for my truck a while back. The company reached out to me and asked if I wanted to review some for them, so I decided to put them in the Pilot and see how they did. For standard reflector housings, the light cutoff line was decent. And the output was very good. Fantastic road coverage and good down road throw.

Just tossing these out as an option if you are looking for some upgraded output. I ended up disabling the DRL function by removing the #37 7.5 amp fuse on the interior fuse panel. The issue was that the high beams now come on full brightness and I mean BRIGHT with these LED's. So even in the daytime I felt it was a bit much and decided to just disable it.

H11: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BJMKDD5

9005: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08BJTNPK1

View attachment 139381

View attachment 139382

View attachment 139383

Before:
View attachment 139384

After:
View attachment 139385

View attachment 139386

Here is the cutoff up against a building. You can see some amount of bleed above the line, but this is pretty typical of a reflector lens.

View attachment 139389

The lenses really showed how nasty they were with the new bulbs in there. So I did some work polishing them. Did ok...but you can still see some surface issues and they keep hazing up some on the top edges. Not real interested in new housings but that may come down the road.

I did not like the LED's in the fogs. The light was a bit too intense and too much bleed up toward oncoming drivers eyes. So I switched to some amber (more gold colored) H11's and like them much better.

Fog amber H11: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GTC42CL

View attachment 139387

View attachment 139388
I"m really interested in these LED upgrades people are showing on the site, I've got a 2016 and although the lights are pretty decent, we do live in a dark area. I'm curious how much work it is to install these bulbs? I'm assuming you are tying up a wiring harness somewhere outside the lens housing and drilling holes through the housing to run the leads to the bulbs?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,594 Posts
I just looked on Amazon and there's a $30 off coupon for the H11's. So your total would be $45. I bought regular low beam headlights at NAPA a couple weeks ago for about $35. Big upgrade for not a big price difference.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I"m really interested in these LED upgrades people are showing on the site, I've got a 2016 and although the lights are pretty decent, we do live in a dark area. I'm curious how much work it is to install these bulbs? I'm assuming you are tying up a wiring harness somewhere outside the lens housing and drilling holes through the housing to run the leads to the bulbs?
No cutting or anything. These plug right into stock bulb plugs. Outside of the housing you have an inline driver that supplies a step up current/voltage for powering the lights. The bulb goes into the stock housing opening just like a standard halogen bulb does. No modifications at all. On my 2012, things are a bit tight but it can be done to swap them out with the housings in place. I did pull the air inlet loose on mine since it is just two clips and it can be removed.

From a quick search...looks like the 2016 still uses the same H11 low and 9005 high bulb types.

So again....nothing is modified at all.

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I did not really make it clear in the initial post, but the company actually reimbursed me fully for these after I purchased them on Amazon. They wanted a review....good or bad. Amazon frowns on this and so the refund comes via Paypal. I have no issue with someone wanting to give me free stuff to try and want my opinion on it. So if anyone has interest, they may still be running this deal. I can give you an email to inquire about the review program if you send me a PM.

I actually ended up getting 4 sets. Initially all three for my Pilot, then decided I did not want them in the fogs...but my truck uses the same H11 bulbs for low. And I asked them and they said i could get another set of the 9005 for the highs. I ended up using the coupon when I purchased (after contacting them about the purchase and the refund). but they did not make it clear not to use the coupon. So Amazon does not allow reviews on heavily discounted items either. So using the $30 off...i could not provide them with my review on Amazon. I did however send it to them via email as requested after. They still sent me a full refund anyway. So two sets of H11's and two sets of 9005's all for free.

These are similar in design to the previous generation ones...but the LED chip set is different. Looks like they change things a lot. These are the X2 versions...and the box that they came in have spots to indicate if it is an X3 or X4. So I told them to let me know when those came out and I would test them also!

·
Registered
118 Posts
I did not really make it clear in the initial post, but the company actually reimbursed me fully for these after I purchased them on Amazon. They wanted a review....good or bad. Amazon frowns on this and so the refund comes via Paypal. I have no issue with someone wanting to give me free stuff to try and want my opinion on it. So if anyone has interest, they may still be running this deal. I can give you an email to inquire about the review program if you send me a PM.

I actually ended up getting 4 sets. Initially all three for my Pilot, then decided I did not want them in the fogs...but my truck uses the same H11 bulbs for low. And I asked them and they said i could get another set of the 9005 for the highs. I ended up using the coupon when I purchased (after contacting them about the purchase and the refund). but they did not make it clear not to use the coupon. So Amazon does not allow reviews on heavily discounted items either. So using the $30 off...i could not provide them with my review on Amazon. I did however send it to them via email as requested after. They still sent me a full refund anyway. So two sets of H11's and two sets of 9005's all for free.

These are similar in design to the previous generation ones...but the LED chip set is different. Looks like they change things a lot. These are the X2 versions...and the box that they came in have spots to indicate if it is an X3 or X4. So I told them to let me know when those came out and I would test them also!
I see that there are newer options available on the Sealight site, that look even simpler to install - this is amazing! It looks almost like a regular bulb, no wires or fans or anything externally located everything is built into the standard size envelope of a halogen bulb - I didn't realize they are coming along that far with LEDs! I'm looking at the Scoparc S2 with those features by the way. I'm curious since they aren't making the X2 anymore - what version do you think you would go with now with the more current options on the market?

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The X2 just came out and is new and still being sold. No clue about those you mention. Liiked up the site and they show $400. No way would I ever pay that!!

There are different model lines and a range of prices, but only the x2 are part of the program. Look at the links above that I posted. Those are the latest product.

And the do have a built in fan, but it is very compact. They need this to dissipate heat

Reactions: KMC-1

·
Registered
126 Posts
From my research in the past, most low-cost LED's are initially bright but then drastically dim over time. I'm curious to how they will be a few months/a year from now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts