Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About two years ago I had to replace my map light switches. At the same time I replaced all my interior stock bulbs with LEDs. The bulbs in the handles can easily be turned off by motion of the vehicle. I'm not sure why, because it seems like as soon as I touch the bulb ends to the clips it comes on immediately, so the electrical connection is made. However, once I get the bulb in the clips, it frequently shuts off when there's motion like grabbing the handle or just shutting the door. I can't figure out how the connection is being interrupted because the clips seem to be contacting the bulb ends. I've tried stuffing metal in the clips to ensure a continuous connection without success.

Is there something else I should consider that might be causing the bulbs to shut off when the door slams or the car hits a bump? As far as I remember, the stock bulbs never had this problem. I started today with a different LED set off Amazon, and I'm having the same trouble. They light up great as soon as contact is made, but once I snap them in they turn off and on intermittently.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,042 Posts
Is the LED bulb the same size as the OEM bulb? I’m specifically interested in the position and diameter of the leads on the LED vs OEM.

Have you tried replacing the LED bulb with OEM to see if that makes a difference?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
3,042 Posts
And welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Poor quality made in China stuff acting up. What else is new?

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had the exact same problem, I used some needle nose pliers to tighten the clamps so the light is held in tighter. I’m assuming that the LED lights you used have slightly smaller contact points than OEM, just squeeze the little pins that hold the lights in. Don’t forget to turn the lights off so you don’t blow a fuse, it happened to me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Funny that I've been a lurker for 10 years and finally had to post to find my answer. Normally someone here has already posted the answer :).

Anyway, I will try bending the clips with pliers. I don't have the OEM lights but have been told to buy some new ones if I can't get these LEDs working soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got around to trying the needle nose pliers on the offending lights. Unfortunately I'm not able to squeeze the clamps enough to maintain firm contact. If I squeeze as hard as I think I should, the bulb is still very loose and flickers. If I squeeze for all I can, the metal head crushes, but it still wiggles around freely in the clamp. I think the years of trying to make this fit has warped the truck clamps to where they just won't ever make good contact with the LED. I've finally given up and will try an OEM incandescent to see if I can at least get a constant light instead of bright LED flickering.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts