Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else got a problem with the driver seat leather? Mine will make a popping noise as my left shoulder leans in and out of the seat - usually with acceleration or decceleraton. Not too big of a deal except for the slight anoyance when it is quiet. Took me a bit to find that it was that and not something major. Since it is quirk no different than a squeek in the dashboard (which I don't have yet), I am very happy with my Pilot.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I have the pop as well. I'll be bringing it up with the dealer as mine is pretty loud. Pretty much any "shuffling" around in my seat will cause it to pop. I've pushed on it while standing outside of the vehicle and think its coming from where the side airbag or padding attaches to the seat frame. My guess is that it will be as easy as popping the seat back off and eliminating the friction point with some rubber or something similar. It could be something as stupid as a zip tie end that is rubbing up against the frame.

Chris

·
Registered
18 Posts
Scrunches

Yes mine pops / scrunches. Very annoying. I have not had to dealer yet. Let me know if anyone knows the fix.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Noises here too

My EX-L has the same noise coming from the left, like its within the seat side shoulder area....above post may be right about the side airbag..My passenger seat does not make the same sound, however. At first I thought it was annoying, that the leather/seat needed to be broken in or something....Lately, I've just tuned out the noise.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Noise

I noticed a "clicking" or "popping" noise during the first 1,000 miles on the drivers side more toward the bottom of the seat.

However, it has since gone away. I still plan on making a note of it at the first oil change just for the record.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Yup, it pops. Waiting to see if it will work itself out. If not, just compiling a list for my dealer to handle all at once.

So far:

popping, saggy leather
window scrunch
driver seat shifting on rails

·
Registered
9 Posts
Seat Noise

I think my driver's seat makes the same noise. I notice it on sharp corners and off-ramps. It sounds like the seat moves on the rails, kind of like it isn't locked into position correctly for a seat with manual adjustment, except this one is electric.

Back to the dealer for repair under warranty . . .

·
Registered
99 Posts
Look under your seats and you'll see what is making the popping noise. It's the sheet metal the seat cushions rest on. There seems to be a big enough area on the back of the seat for the sheet metal to pop in and out around the shoulder blade area. I'm not sure what the dealer can do... but it does get annoying. :3:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Seat Pop

I also have the Seat Pop from the left shoulder blade area. I have an EX-Cloth model. I am very interested if someone gets this fixed.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Fixed!

Well, the leather popping sounds coming from my drivers seat (left shoulder area) was driving me nuts and I really hate leaving my baby with the dealer, so... I decided to fix the problem myself. Here is what I did:

The seat back is held into place by a set of downward hooking plastic pieces at the top, and by plastic tabs attached to the seatback at the bottom. If you push up (i.e.- move entire seatback vertically) on the plastic from the bottom edge, you can then gently pry one of the top corners away to reveal the top plastic hooks. If you then angle the seatback such that you push the left side up even higher, you can get the hook up high enough to pull it completely away from the rest of the seat. Then repeat to release the right upper hook (much easier once the left one is free).

This picture shows the top left plastic hook.

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
The bottom of the seat is held in place by two white plastic clips. The top of the clip is pushed through part of the steel frame and the back end (flat part) is hooked by the bottom of the seatback. Note that both of the open parts of the bottom of the seatback are towards the middle of the seat (the bottom arrow in the photo shows this). You will need to move the seatback to the right to release the right white clip from the seatback and then move the seatback to the left to remove the left clip.

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
The popping sounds were coming from wire retaining clips that hold the leather tight against the foam. You can see one of these wire clips next to the lower arrow in the photo. More specifically the sound is coming from where the wire wraps around the frame on the outside and also where the wire wraps around a thin steel rod that is visible through the foam and runs vertically right behind the leather that makes up the front part of the seat. I noticed that a few of these wires had white lithium grease on them, but that others were bone dry. I greased up the remaining wire ends and now the seat is totally quiet!

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
Reassembly

Remove the white clips from the bottom of the seat by squeezing the pointed end together with a pair of needle nose pliers and pushing it back through the hole.

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
Slide the white clips into the slot on the lower tabs of the seatback. You need to use the lower slot on the white tabs (indicated by the arrow). Note my big old greasy finger in the picture. I'm a workin' man now, momma!

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
Here is the lower part of the seatback with clips installed and ready to go.

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
To reinstall the seatback, you need to slide the top hooks back down into position first. It's not a great pic, but you will see the cloth covered steel tab (see arrow) that the hook will slide down over. Pull out on the seatback a bit to make sure that you caught both the right and left tabs.

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
Now just line the white clips up with the holes at the bottom and push the bottom of the seatback firmly into place. All done and no more pops!

Please let me know if any part of my instructions are not clear. The biggest thing is to be easy when pulling and tugging on the plastic components. You don't want to bend things so far as to discolor the plastic or even break something.

Chris

Attachments

·
Registered
316 Posts
xyzzy,

D A N G!!! You are a brave man, to be dismantling your seats that way. Do you also do your own stiches when you have deep lacerations like Rambo did? Got to give you a standing O for pulling that one off. Congrats!!!

P.S. You should have tucked the leather in tighter before you put the seat back together to get rid of some of the "sag" that everyone is writing about. Could've killed 2 birds w/ one stone.:4:

·
Registered
919 Posts
I am going to make a revision to my instructions. I found another pop this morning and found that it was caused by the wire & spring assembly that holds the leather to the seat frame. The foam was rubbing up against the wire and popped when it finally slid over the end of the wire. I'll update the appropriate step in my instructions.

It's actually not that difficult of an operation. I am a firm believer in the "if you want it done right, do it yourself" concept.

2k3_nbp, good idea but I'm not sure if it will work. The stretching also occurs from side to side, between the two solid leather panels. I'll give it a try though and let you know how it goes. Oh, and no Rambo tricks for me. My bravery stops at needles!

Chris

1 - 20 of 22 Posts