Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm new to owning leather seats and although I believe maintenance is minimal, any suggestions on keeping the leather clean and supple? I want to avoid cracking and the like. . .Also, I understand the leather is fairly thin, is that an issue when applying conditioners or cleaners?

·
Registered
919 Posts
Lexol makes two great products for leather care. They have a cleaner and a conditioner. You can pick them up at Pep Boys. Hyde-Food is also another great product but is a bit harder to find sometimes. I use Lexol because it works great and it's easy to find.

Meguiars and a few others are also now making leather wipes that are basically like wipies, but for cleaning leather. I'm not sure if these also condition as they clean because I haven't tried them.

Chris

·
Registered
919 Posts
Lexol says to clean and condition every 6-8 weeks (they don't ever mention a time to just clean without conditioning). Of course, they are selling you the consumables here. For me it will probably be more like 6-8 months. I'm just being realistic here. Besides, the climate my vehicle sees isn't all that harsh. On a typical day my Pilot is out in the sun for about 30 minutes per day. My drive to/from work is 30 minutes each way and it's dark when I go in. I park in a garage at work and at home. YMMV.

Chris

·
Registered
31 Posts
Zaino also has a great leather caring product....cleaner and conditioner. I have been using them on my Lexus with tan leather. I am very happy with the result.

·
Registered
509 Posts
xyzzy said:
Meguiars and a few others are also now making leather wipes that are basically like wipies, but for cleaning leather. I'm not sure if these also condition as they clean because I haven't tried them.

Chris
Hey Chris,

Holding a can of Meguiar's wipes right here, and yes, they do "clean, condition, and protect". One step to easily wipe on. If you want a dull finish, just buff off with a towel. Used these the last time I cleaned the seats in my Accord and was very pleased with the ease and results. I would recommend them. Nice for a quick cleaning when you're on the run.

I also have some of their creamy stuff in the small bottle that you apply and then buff off. I've also got the stuff in the spray bottle that you spray on and buff off. Both also work great.

Then I also have picked up a Zymol gift set - one cleaner and one conditioner, but I haven't used them yet. Probably will be a while before I get to them.

I noticed the Lexol stuff at Pep Boys the other day. If I didn't have all these other bottles of leather cleaners, I probably would have given them a try. Never heard of it until recently.

Anyone elses garage full of way too much car care stuff like my closet is?!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Thanks for the info, SoapPlant! I've been using Lexol and it's very highly regarded by the pros. The only complaint is that the scent isn't all that great. It's not horrible, but certainly doesn't smell like new leather or anything. For this reason, I may give the Zaino stuff a shot. Not sure yet. I still have a lot of Lexol left and don't want to add to the heap 'o car care products in the garage.

Chris

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the info. . .

can anyone describe the smell of the zaino stuff? I really don't want the car to smell like shoe leather coming from the cobbler . . .

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oooh. . .I like coconut. Maybe I'll check that out. Any negatives?

·
Registered
149 Posts
No negatives on Mothers. After application, it is not slippery and oily like others I tried. I apply it on my Accord, Mercedes, and now the Pilot. The only negative is that no store sells it around Wash DC areas.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Zaino does make your leather smell like a new car with leather.
I use that on my Lexus once a month. Whenever people get into my car, they always say that my car still has the new leather smell to it......hehee

If you do go with Zaino, make sure that you pick up the cleaner and the conditioner. They are Z9 and Z10

1 - 12 of 12 Posts