Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As paranoid as I would be to have a child with an ice cream cone in my new PILOT, this is not quite what this is about. :)

I installed the base for our infant's car seat last week and moved it to a different location yesterday. I noticed that the baby seat corners (although rounded), dug in to the leather and stretched it out some. Now that the seat is in a different location, you can clearly see the marks on the leather where it used to be. I don't think leather stretches back into shape...

Just a word of warning to those with car seats and a wish to keep their PILOT in mint condition. I'd still recommend keeping your infant in a car seat though ;)

- Ben

·
Registered
900 Posts
However, it's much easier to get ice cream, bubble gum, and worse things out of leather (just wipe off) as opposed to their getting into the fabric of non-leather seats. This is precisely why we DID get leather. Our kids are past the car-seat phase, though. Good point. Maybe you could sit the car seat on one of those rubber sheets that protect the seat and keep it from slipping? It would probably 'dull' the points that stretched out the leather, too.

·
Registered
30 Posts
You can buy a special rubber mat at ToysRUs, The Right Start, etc. that protects the base and back of your seats. They work very well. I don't remember the exact price - around $20. They work well for baby and booster car seats.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I keep a gray (same color as my leather) hand towel under the car seat.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Same here. We keep a towel underneath as well.

But I need to remove the carseat and check though. Just to make sure.

·
Registered
698 Posts
bjdurand said:
As paranoid as I would be to have a child with an ice cream cone in my new PILOT, this is not quite what this is about. :)

I installed the base for our infant's car seat last week and moved it to a different location yesterday. I noticed that the baby seat corners (although rounded), dug in to the leather and stretched it out some. Now that the seat is in a different location, you can clearly see the marks on the leather where it used to be. I don't think leather stretches back into shape...

Just a word of warning to those with car seats and a wish to keep their PILOT in mint condition. I'd still recommend keeping your infant in a car seat though ;)

- Ben
I wonder if you warmed the area with a blow dryer, if that might help it move back into shape. Perhaps it will just take a few days and it will spring back on its own. If not, that is a terrible blow for people with car seats. I would hate to think that the Pilot was not infant-friendly.

Let us know what you find out, ok?

·
Registered
290 Posts
havasu said:
However, it's much easier to get ice cream, bubble gum, and worse things out of leather (just wipe off) as opposed to their getting into the fabric of non-leather seats. This is precisely why we DID get leather. Our kids are past the car-seat phase, though. Good point. Maybe you could sit the car seat on one of those rubber sheets that protect the seat and keep it from slipping? It would probably 'dull' the points that stretched out the leather, too.
Obviously, you have never heard of Scotchguard. It's not just a gimmick folks, this stuff really does work. You can clean-up spills of soda, juices, oil, ketchup, mustard, etc, etc, with a simple wipe with a cloth. No I do not work for or have stock in 3M.

Gum would be a ***** on either leather or cloth if it was ground in. And the best way I have found to remove gum is to freeze it and scrape it out with a dull knife. I wouldn't try that that with leather, it would ruin it. But it shouldn't do any damage to cloth if you are careful.

·
Registered
664 Posts
It's any car

Perhaps it will just take a few days and it will spring back on its own. If not, that is a terrible blow for people with car seats. I would hate to think that the Pilot was not infant-friendly.
Rest easy about the marks...in fact the Pilot is as car seat friendly as just about any car. The marks happen in just about any car, especially with a car seat. Think about it, this thing is tied in with however many pounds of pressure for months at a time. Of course the seat is going to stretch. Even a booster seat that is only sat in once in a while is still putting pressue on the seat all the time. I have two booster seats and had gotten a terrible mark in a Taurus back in '96. Since then I ALWAYS put a towel (usually a BIG bath towel doubled up or two individual towels) to offset some of the effects of the seats. I also switch sides on a regular basis every other month or so to limit the effects.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts