Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When we purchased our Honda EX, we decided to upgrade from cloth to leather interior. Our salesman said the Honda leather was thin, and had a tendency to crack. He, therefore, recommended that we upgrade to a better leather, and even discounted the cost of installation by $300. We chose this "better" option, and have been having problems ever since. First, when the leather was installed (by a leather company, NOT the dealership), some of the door moldings were put back poorly, or scratched in the re-installation. Second, several of the door and seat moldings repeatedly come loose. We think the leather is too thick. It took us three visits back to the dealer to get the initial issues fixed, and now some of the moldings are loose, again. BUT, more importantly, when we called Honda, they told us that this "modification" was not approved, and that it voided our warranty. It is also possible that this upgrade has compromised our side air bags. Has anyone else had this situation????

There have also been issues with our third seat not folding down properly, and in general, the plastic interior molding seems cheap.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't really know what to say. Honda is right in that they have no reason to warranty a leather interior that is not factory. The problems you're having are obviously related to the upholstered modification, so you have to deal with the company that did the leather. If the third seat was also upholstered in the same leather, then that very well could be causing the problem and will be the same reason Honda needs not honor the warranty.

As far as the airbags, i don't know if they have been compromised. But, if you have a side airbag failure, it is very possible that Honda will claim that the use of non-factory materials caused the failure.

·
Registered
991 Posts
that truly sucks.. There is always lessons to be learned, My first rule is I always make sure Honda is responsible for there vehicles, always Honda parts,

Sorry to hear about the leather issue, but I do not understand why the Airbags are an issue, get that cleared up though Honda for sure..

rob

·
Registered
408 Posts
thick leather reduce the reading accuracy of the sensors on the side air bags so they can deploy on a kid and injure him.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
DId you pay the dealer or the leather shop?

If you paid the dealer, then the leather is probably the responsibilitry of the dealer.

Play dumb, and tell the dealer you assumed he would honor all warrenty issues, unless he specifically said he would not.

You bought a new car from him, make him address the issues!

·
Registered
920 Posts
Way to fall for the old bait and switch routine. Did you ever stop to ask WHY your salesperson would knock their own product???

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
gopilot said:
...Sorry to hear about the leather issue, but I do not understand why the Airbags are an issue, get that cleared up though Honda for sure..
Since the airbags deploy from the side of the seat, incorrectly altering the outside seam and material may prevent or alter deployment of the side airbag.

·
Registered
991 Posts
ahh yes, totally makes sense...

thanks

·
Registered
415 Posts
I say have the dealer give you your money back and they can have back the upholstery they call leather. The shop probably wrapped the leather over the cloth seats, anyway.

·
Registered
47 Posts
What is the name of the aftermarket leathers and where was it installed? There are companies out there that specialize after market leather seat covers and some car company (not dealer) use to leather upgrade.

agw1

·
Registered
8 Posts
Aftermarket leather

I bought a LX and had the dealership outsource leather
being installed. They arranged the deal and added the leather to
the final price. A week later, my 2nd row seat back cover snapped off when I put the seats down and back up. The cover is interior carpet over thin partical board. It had plastic rivits which popped into the back of the seat. The aftermarket leather is thicker than factory leather. I talked to the dealer who passed me off to the leather installer. The leather installer said the dealer had ok'd the installation and would have to order new 2nd row seat back panels.
Four months later, the dealership installed new back covers at no cost. I noticed however that when I put the 2nd row seat up and down, the back panel catches on the 3rd row seat (which is down).
I guess I just have to be careful when I play with the 2nd row seat.
At least the dealership repaired the seat back cover at no cost. If I had it to do over again, I would have just bought an EX-L.
brad

1 - 11 of 11 Posts