Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks so much for your input. Dad pretty much insisted on the transmission “service” even though I was okay doing the drain and fill as you mentioned.
I’m feeling a lot better now.
I think I will take it to Far East for PPI. And I ordered the $8 spool valve part so hope I get it right. And start looking at doing my own repairs!
So much great advice and feedback. Appreciate it so much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Extra $200 because the tensioner wasn’t included in the $799 price. They say they only replace as needed but when I talked the tech he rolled his eyes and said, chances are you need tensioner. I was gonna do it anyway. This made the timing belt job within $25 of Far East quote.
I Will have Far East do a “PPI” on it for me. $115 for a second opinion and input on urgency is worth it.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Extra $200 because the tensioner wasn’t included in the $799 price. They say they only replace as needed but when I talked the tech he rolled his eyes and said, chances are you need tensioner. I was gonna do it anyway. This made the timing belt job within $25 of Far East quote.
I Will have Far East do a “PPI” on it for me. $115 for a second opinion and input on urgency is worth it.
That's typical - Honda does not generally replace the tensioner unless they see them leaking. I disagree given they will never make it to the next TB change without failing (tensioner racket) or leaking. Paying $1000 at Honda the for full TB+tensioner+water pump is not bad. I have seen a lot worse.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Yea the fronts are getting close to needing replacement...

Also I find it real annoying dealers don't include the tensioner in their price, it's a must replace item IMO given their failure rate. And truly they are a wear item, I can name plenty of vehicles that have a timing chain but the tensioner goes up and causes issues.

·
Registered
521 Posts
I have no idea what these numbers mean btw
They are measuring tire tread depth. The numbers are how many 32nds of an inch are left. New tires typically come with 9/32-11/32. If you have 5/32 or more, then the tread remaining is good assuming no other issues. About 4/32 they will start advising to plan to replace the tires. The wear bars are at 2/32 which is considered the minimum, must replace mark.

They are note the measurement on the inside, middle and outside to show if there is a pattern of uneven wear. It is common for middle to have a little more left than the inside and outside.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
A girl needs a basic set of mechanics tools. I don’t have any socket wrenches.
I have household tools. Lots of them.
Suggestions? I see Lowe’s has a big selection of Kobalt socket wrenches from $20-100. And I also have all the usual auto parts chains within a half mile. And of Course, amazon and other internets...

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Welp, I took it to my local dealership (Curry Honda in Atlanta) to do the timing belt and tell me what else....
Not including the timing belt, they gave me a list of about $10k (ten!) worth of repairs needed.
I’ll post the list and prices tonight.
Anyway...
Kicking myself now for succumbing to impulse and not doing the PPI.
Okay. here goes...

First, a quick background. This is my 5th Honda. First was a 78 civic beater that I drove in college. Briefly had a 95 civic coupe but ended up working out of the country.; 2001 Accord EX purchased new and drove for 15 years. Maintained it perfectly, so I could have kept it. Only 259k miles but I decided I wanted something new and cute. So, I have a 2016 Civic Touring that I love! And now I have this beast.

I have usually avoided "stealerships" and I was married to an aircraft mechanic when I had the Accord so he did a lot of the repairs and maintenance with the exception of big items like the timing belts. Since moving to Atlanta, I have been happy with Curry service but only needed oil changes, a battery, and a warranty repair on the air conditioning. I did change my own cabin and engine air filters on the Civic because I am trying to learn to do small things myself. I may be looking to drastically improve those skills very soon!
We also have a very well-regarded Honda specific shop right up the street (Far East Motorworks).
One more thing, although I am 50 yrs old, my dad still likes to worry about me so he really pushed me to go to Honda for the timing belt, and the price was similar to Far East.

What I asked for when I walked in: timing belt including tensioner which they quoted at the coupon price, a transmission service, an oil change, unlock the glove box because it was stuck, check play in steering, and do a multi-point. I already knew the front tires need replacing.

And now the list:

(Much of this was very well explained by Boom and influenced my decision of what to prioritize thus far).
  • Steering: lower control arm bushings are broken and compliance bushing is broken. Can only replace control arms. $1570 w/alignment.
  • Broken right engine mount $207 ** I drove my Accord with broken engine mounts for at least 10 years, we kept putting it off and when I traded it in, still had never fixed, so how important is this?
  • Spool valve leak $676
  • Oil pan $150 because aftermarket plug stripped threads
  • Oil change $50
  • Transmission service $210
  • Timing belt with tensioner (coupon applied) $1000
  • Needs a new battery $128
  • Rear shocks leaking $782
  • Passenger CV axle leak $569
  • Oil pump seal $400 if done with timing belt--$1466 if not
  • Power steering rack starting to leak $1836
  • Power steering flush $160
  • Valve adjustment $775
  • Tie rod and boots cracked, have some play $246
  • Rear brakes at 1mm $190
  • Engine air and cabin filters --I can definitely do these myself
  • Front brakes at 3mm $550 because aftermarket rotors
  • Rear crankshaft seal starting to leak but is minor and probably will be fine for at least a year, per the tech $1950
  • Broken taillight (somehow I did not notice this both times I watched the guy drive in front of me) $35
  • Both front tires due to odd wear $270
What I agreed to:
  • The timing belt (just messaged the tech to ask about pulley bolts, etc. per comment above)
  • Battery
  • Taillight
  • Rear brakes
  • Oil change with new oil pan
  • Transmission service
  • He fixed the glove box
I am going to take it to Discount to do tires, probably all of them if I can...my Civic is also due for rotate and balance, I alway use Discount.

Next question: Spool valve? Can I do it myself?
What else can I do myself with minimal experience? (I've used to YouTube to repair most of my house so I am happy to learn new stuff). I don't have car tools but sounds like I am going to need some!

Thank you everyone, especially Boom for that amazing list.

Now what??
Wow! I'm freaked out for you. If it were me, I'm driving it out of the Steelership leaving them with a big Zero. If you have any inclination of doing maintainance on your own vehicle, you can find a YouTube video on just about anything. With all the money you save, you can buy the tools you need. If the video on the job looks beyond your capability then ya, you gotta pay. I wouldn't let Honda do it for those prices.

·
Registered
602 Posts
A girl needs a basic set of mechanics tools. I don’t have any socket wrenches.
I have household tools. Lots of them.
Suggestions? I see Lowe’s has a big selection of Kobalt socket wrenches from $20-100. And I also have all the usual auto parts chains within a half mile. And of Course, amazon and other internets...
This kit has a lot of value for the money. It is not a $500 complete set of everything, but really good for a basic automotive tool set and the one I give as gifts for people with no tools. For $72.60 its a really good deal. The price fluctuates, it's usually closer to $100. I like this set because you get channel locks, needle nose, and decent screwdriver and bit set, wrenches, allens, and a suprisingly complete socket set with all three drive sizes plus extensions.

This set at lowest is not bad, not as complete and well rounded as above, but a good starter:

For filling in special tools, visit your local Harbor Freight (several in Atlanta), you can usually beat the Husky/Kobalt stuff on price and while their stuff isnt everyday mechanic grade, it's fine for the shadetree mechanic, and the people are very helpful. I have a mix of craftsman, gear wrench, Tekton (amazon), Crescent, kobalt (Lowes), husky (home depot), pittsburgh (harbor freight) tools.

Reactions: Eviemae

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Hey, y’all! Just wanted to say thanks! I took it to my local trusted mechanic who did most of the dealer list (and told me to ignore the rest for now) and it was a third of Honda’s quotes. Today I have a catalytic converter code AND CV axles failed totally while driving. Joys of an older vehicle. I learned a ton from all your replies and suggestions so just wanted to say thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Wow great list of 15 items. That should be a sticky. I have one comment on "2. Spark plugs. Who knows what's in there now."

You could pull a plug from the front bank and inspect it to get a feel for their age (a mechanic or experienced car guy/gal could tell). The iridium plugs in there can last a long, long time. At 145k I checked mine and they were original, so I replaced them, however they were not fouled or causing any issues and the engine was running fine. But with the potential oil consumption issue these Pilots have, its defiantly good to check them. On the other hand, if its running strong and smooth (and I'm guessing it is since you bought it with no PPI), then you have the option of putting this off for now.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts