Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Honda Pilot Touring

60k Miles

Leaky roof wet all inside nothing related to the sunroof dealership quoted $600 repairs on a 6 year old car thats 100 $ a year and in my opinion a complete failure from Honda. Also called america honda to give them my 2 cents instead of key board warrior on the subject just like a real male karen should. Honda your trash mic drop

Attachments

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Too bad about the leak. Roof rack leakage separate from any sunroof issues don't seem to be a common issue. How was the $600 quote determined and what sealant will be used? Any visible rust or damage from roof rack?
No implications of any damage from water on head liner that cant dry out or rust or anything with the gasket other than it failed. Maybe the roof rack has a weight limit? Ive had camping gear up there through mountain passes , I would suggest Honda does a write up on limitations with the head rack

· Super Moderator
5,231 Posts
Maybe the roof rack has a weight limit? Ive had camping gear up there through mountain passes , I would suggest Honda does a write up on limitations with the head rack
Check your owners manual for max capacity of the roof rack. Its probably rated for 75kg or 165 lb. Static versus dynamic loads are usually overlooked and may exceed this load capacity. My guess is you should be able to lift the roof rack trim and apply some silicone sealant as the factory seam sealer may have been damaged or cracked.

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,917 Posts
I'd look for a DIY fix for this if there is no rust. If rust, might consider a body shop. Have you checked with insurance? May be covered that way.

· Registered
898 Posts
Maybe the roof rack has a weight limit? Ive had camping gear up there through mountain passes , I would suggest Honda does a write up on limitations with the head rack
As unlikely as this might sound, typing "weight limit factory rack honda pilot" into Google provides links to multiple Honda-sourced answers.

Spoiler alert: 165 lbs, as already noted. I think that's optimistic, given the design, but multiple forum threads have discussed this issue over the years.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update,

I shouldn’t of posted before the repair was finished. Turns out it’s worse than I expected. It was leaking not from any rack gasket or seal. There actually is no seal or gasket. What there is instead is two pin holes in the body for the rack to mount to that point. There is no fix for this other than what they did which is sealant and labor ….. totallying $800 with tax. Already have an open case with America Honda for in the end of all this they can pay for it not me. Unfortunately the dealership made this not much easier putting the wires for rear dome light backwards left the trim for the seat belt in the third row hanging and also 20 grease finger prints all over my tan head liner which used to look new. Needless to say it’s going back to be re fixed again. These are the idiots I am dealing with anyone think a Porsche dealership would leave mechanic grease prints all over the head liner ? No they wouldn’t because this is a sub par product with sub par laborers. I’m sure the sealant job isn’t going to work either considering the problems around their repairs the left me. Also in that if the stock vehicle needs sealant it should of been there from thr assembly line. This is a hands down win in my opinion I will update you all when I get a check payable to me for 800

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Could you maybe bring it to an automotive glass installer. They have some fantastic sealers.
Sounds like you know bit more than me I had no clue it even needed a sealer I thought at first a gasket was maybe bad. It did end up needing sealer not sure what grade sealer it was all I envision is cheap lowes caulking even though I’m sure it’s something better

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
As unlikely as this might sound, typing "weight limit factory rack honda pilot" into Google provides links to multiple Honda-sourced answers.

Spoiler alert: 165 lbs, as already noted. I think that's optimistic, given the design, but multiple forum threads have discussed this issue over the years.
If …. And a big if I keep this vehicle what would you suggest I do to load the stock Honda cargo box. Weigh items ?

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Too bad about the leak. Roof rack leakage separate from any sunroof issues don't seem to be a common issue. How was the $600 quote determined and what sealant will be used? Any visible rust or damage from roof rack?
I don’t know the sealant brand yet till I get back with them when I return the vehicle for them to re do their fails and I posted in the update. I should actually ask if it’s rusted from it doing this for 5-6 years in these stock pin holes if their is rust I may just Hunt down a bigger check from American Honda to make this right. I wouldn’t I’d even thought to ask about rust so thanks for that

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Check your owners manual for max capacity of the roof rack. Its probably rated for 75kg or 165 lb. Static versus dynamic loads are usually overlooked and may exceed this load capacity. My guess is you should be able to lift the roof rack trim and apply some silicone sealant as the factory seam sealer may have been damaged or cracked.
Do you think they even lay a bead of factory sealer I guess they must ? Wonder what brand they used for the factory vs what the dealership used to re seal. I’m just diving deeper into this now if the factory sealer was 5 years I’m just not confident owning this for another 5 if you know what I mean that’s the only reason I’m selling it after I return it to stock I’m not going to burn anyone on a sale not when a car is this expensive maybe a 6k car I have kinda brushed off stuff in car sales

· Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
605 Posts
Update,

I shouldn’t of posted before the repair was finished. Turns out it’s worse than I expected. It was leaking not from any rack gasket or seal. There actually is no seal or gasket. What there is instead is two pin holes in the body for the rack to mount to that point. There is no fix for this other than what they did which is sealant and labor ….. totallying $800 with tax. Already have an open case with America Honda for in the end of all this they can pay for it not me. Unfortunately the dealership made this not much easier putting the wires for rear dome light backwards left the trim for the seat belt in the third row hanging and also 20 grease finger prints all over my tan head liner which used to look new. Needless to say it’s going back to be re fixed again. These are the idiots I am dealing with anyone think a Porsche dealership would leave mechanic grease prints all over the head liner ? No they wouldn’t because this is a sub par product with sub par laborers. I’m sure the sealant job isn’t going to work either considering the problems around their repairs the left me. Also in that if the stock vehicle needs sealant it should of been there from thr assembly line. This is a hands down win in my opinion I will update you all when I get a check payable to me for 800
Wow, that is not good work. Really sucks with cars costing more than our houses did.
My Son builds Toyota and Lexus . He is not impressed with the build quality. Seems all cars suck now.

· Registered
5,795 Posts
If …. And a big if I keep this vehicle what would you suggest I do to load the stock Honda cargo box. Weigh items ?
I have an 18 CF cargo box that is generally loaded to the gills with stuff. But I do know my vehicles all have rooftop weight limits and I try to put items that are larger size but not that heavy (for instance - strollers, pack and plays, portable cots, etc.). Personally I'd rather load really heavy things in and out of the cargo area than the roof box.

RE: Porsche dealership - Not quite a fair comparison in terms of... well... practically any aspect but I expect there are better and worse dealers for Porsche as well.

I wish you luck, I understand your frustrations and wanting to lash out but. Definitely vent to your favorite internet friends (us) but keep a calm and cool demeanor with the dealer. Keep records of everything said and done, at this point the facts will get you farther than an emotional response.

· Registered
898 Posts
That's not a terrible idea, but could be a little cumbersome.

Whatever vehicle you wind up with, having some sense of how much weight you've put on the roof is always your responsibility. Losing your load into oncoming traffic because you're over capacity would make the leaks you've got seem pretty minor.

Hope you get to a better resolution.

· Super Moderator
5,231 Posts
Yes! Each vehicle has specific load limits for the roof rack and some overlanders are now recognizing that dynamic loads can stress the roof rack limits to the point of failure. Stick to the recommended load limits and keep heavier items in the vehicle. My first gen Pilot had some seam sealer cracks due to age which I coated with an exterior grade silicone sealant to prevent any issues.

· Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Little update for everyone. I wanted to say I am currently having a case manager at American Honda view my situation regarding the roof leak. I am after compensation for this has been a costly problem. What I know to date is, it was no gasket like the post heading states. That was early on when I admit I was fresh to this problem. Since the start of this thread I have made my car return to almost its original state it was in before the damages. The dealership sealed what they called tiny pin holes in the vehicles body under the head liner in the rear. It’s unrelated to anything that has to do with a part that would fail. It’s a hole that Honda pit there. This is why I am even after collecting for these damages. Head liner $1500. Aftermarket amp, tune knob labor $1000 and the repair at Honda for the sealing is $800. $3300 total cost on a car that depreciated 15k in 6 years. Putting a car that values 30k needing this extensive work is beyond ok. Especially considering it’s not a moving part or something that breaks down. Now look I scrubbed the water stain it’s still to be determined if it will be back to normal or not ever. I did not have them replace the head liner I will post the latest stain picture below. I am also not trying to collect for my damages amp. Because I cannot justify why I even put amps in the cargo hold or my own wiring through the head liner which fried my amp. I’m just after the 800 for the sealing and 100$ or so for a detailing of head liner. Yesterday my engine check light came on for emissions problem as well. I’m really over this POS pilot. This is what you get when you spend 45k on a Honda. Then you could imagine a lower trim level sedan or any type Honda that is newer but has a less price point or lesser trim level. I am selling this car when I am done doing all the repairs and getting a 2020 Lincoln aviator and never looking back at this drama this car causes. I will update you all when I can say if American Honda stands behind their product or not

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.