Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the pilot used, 2013, fluid is all under the car. Don't know if it is PS fluid from the rake or tranny leak or an oil leak.
Looking for ideas to check or what others have found.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Standard instruction starts with cleaning everything thoroughly. Drive a short distance. Leaking yet? Drive a liittle more. Leaking yet? As son as you see traces of fluid on somthing, it's pretty easy to find the source. Once a leak gets serious, wind and radiator fan wind, gravity and inertia play a part in the search. Get there early and your chances improve.

On the driver's side of the car, the transmission fill and drain plugs offer a red fluid. Check transmission fluid level as a hint. The spool valve for the power steering is on the driver's side. Look at the steering rack behind the transmission. Coolalnt is pretty far forward, with a hose passing across behind the radiator towards the passenger side. By the time you see a brake fluid leak, it's pretty late. The front axle drive and CV joints sling grease when the boots fail.

What does the fluid look like and maybe a better description and ictures of where you see it would help us help you.

"my car is aking a noise" is similarly hard to pinpoint a cause on the first go.

Welcome to Piloteers!

Reactions: aloogatr

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Pictures would help.
Use a paper towel. What color?

·
Registered
129 Posts
I've had a PS pressure line going into the rack leak in that area.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will be under the pilot tomorrow, so I will take some pictures. The oil, don't know what it is, doesn't drop on the driveway. It has coated the underside, from the axle back. The cover for the end of the rake and pinion, appears to be leaking. My old odyssey leaked here and finally blow out the cover and created a similar mess.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was under the pilot changing the rotors and pads. We have only had the pilot about 4 months and had to replace the right front half shaft, due to the outer boot was bad. It appears the left front was changed, ad there is still grease under the pilot where the damaged boot would have slung it. I
IMG_20201222_153218389.jpg
cleaned it up the best I could. The boot on the rack and pinion had oil all over it. I tried to clean it up, but did not feel any holes or broken places.
IMG_20201222_153225862_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
I have a fetish about car and mechanical cleanliness, which may or may not help you. I used to buy spray engine cleaner by the case, and use it wherever there was any grease or oil gathered in the mechanical bits. That includes the chassis and running gear. Favorite is Gunk Foamy Engine Brite, which you can get at most local parts places and certainly online. Downside is that it leaves a particular fragrance unless you do a follow-up wash with a good detergent. I'd try and do most of that work at the local spray car wash, where they were better equipped to manage the runoff.

Keeping everything lickin' clean makes things much easier to work on. Telltale leaks and deposits are a lot easier to identify early, before things get damaged by the loss of fluids. Keeping all that stuff clean is amazingly easy compared to getting it clean, as you can even use dish detergent in the power washer. There are dedicated detergents that do a better job, but none quite as handy or inexpensive as the bottle of Dawn Platinum.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts