Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

Registered
2005 Honda Pilot
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have noticed this leak of transmission fluid probably?, here is a photo of it, it is on the driver side middle area, it is the spot to the right in the photo the other spot was there when I parked in this parking lot. car runs fine. 2005 Honda Pilot. anyone experience this?? I am gonna get under there and find the leak at some point just curious of any one else having this and hoping it's not toooooo expensive 馃ゴ
and possibly something I can do myself. I am a newbie so some of my questions and terminology is off

I have had the flashing D light 2 times in the last 2 or 3 months, added tranny fluid both times and the light went off. losing a bit of fluid daily.

updated to add some photos of the under side of vehicle, this is right at the front under the fan radiator

Update: I removed the shroud to get a better look (had to wait til I was home) the transmission line is loose and there was a bit of a drip from it the car has been off for a while though. Also noticed other drips as well.
here is a link to a video as well

Registered
Recommend getting under the Pilot and inspecting the rubber hoses, metal lines, bottom of the radiator and trans sooner than later. The Pilot is providing plenty of warning of impending doom especially when the trans responds to fluid replacement. For on-the-road repairs, nearly any trans fluid may do but DW-1 or equivalent fluids are preferred.

Registered
If it is transmission fluid, which it sounds like it is, it is going to be much cheaper to fix the leak than to keep buying transmission fluid. I can鈥檛 think of anything related to the transmission on that side that would be terrible expensive to fix.

Registered
I have noticed this leak of transmission fluid probably?, here is a photo of it, it is on the driver side middle area, it is the spot to the right in the photo the other spot was there when I parked in this parking lot. car runs fine. 2005 Honda Pilot. anyone experience this?? I am gonna get under there and find the leak at some point just curious of any one else having this and hoping it's not toooooo expensive 馃ゴ
and possibly something I can do myself. View attachment 138532
I have had the flashing D light 2 times in the last 2 or 3 months, added tranny fluid both times and the light went off. losing a bit of fluid daily.
Those head lights are begging for a lense refresh. There are many kits on the market and only takes like 20min. to have them looking like new again. .

Registered
I was an airline pilot and if we found a leak somewhere the mechanics would only address it if there were more than 7 or so drops a minute. If it's at that rate get it fixed otherwise just keep an eye on your fluid levels and add as needed.

Administrator
The Early 2005 production had trouble with radiators failing internally resulting in ATF and engine coolant mixing. If yours is a later in the model year vehicle you are perhaps looking at corrosion at the joint between the ATF pipes and radiators.

Registered
Hopfully the drain plug just needs tightening up a bit.
I believe it should be torqued to 36 foot pounds.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Registered
2005 Honda Pilot
Discussion Starter #12
This is under the vehicle front just below the fan, seems to be fluid pooled up on top of there on the side I could not photograph but got a massive amount on my hands. now I'm not sure if it is transmission fluid or oil. I wiped everything down and turned the Pilot on watching to see what happens

Registered
2005 Honda Pilot
Discussion Starter #14
Recommend getting under the Pilot and inspecting the rubber hoses, metal lines, bottom of the radiator and trans sooner than later. The Pilot is providing plenty of warning of impending doom especially when the trans responds to fluid replacement. For on-the-road repairs, nearly any trans fluid may do but DW-1 or equivalent fluids are preferred.

thank you! I added a few pictures below

Registered
ATF, most likely coming from the cooler lines attached to the radiator. You may have a split line or perhaps one of the clamps slipped/sliced a small hole in a line.

Regardless - I'd get that fixed ASAP. If the ATF isn't flowing properly to the radiator then you're slowing cooking your ATF and tranny...

And I'm saying ATF because I can't imagine how you would get oil there. I think the only real way would be if oil got spilled the last time you did an oil change, the oil fill neck is almost directly above that spot.

Registered
2005 Honda Pilot
Discussion Starter #16
ATF, most likely coming from the cooler lines attached to the radiator. You may have a split line or perhaps one of the clamps slipped/sliced a small hole in a line.

Regardless - I'd get that fixed ASAP. If the ATF isn't flowing properly to the radiator then you're slowing cooking your ATF and tranny...

And I'm saying ATF because I can't imagine how you would get oil there. I think the only real way would be if oil got spilled the last time you did an oil change, the oil fill neck is almost directly above that spot.

thanks I am going to look under there now, is it something I can probably fix myself?

Registered

Registered
2005 Pilot LX
Hopfully the drain plug just needs tightening up a bit.
I believe it should be torqued to 36 foot pounds.
Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
I have a hard time believing it鈥檚 the tranny fluid drain plug, unless he鈥檚 driving in reverse at 60 mph.馃榿 Too much fluid dripping onto the bottom of the front bumper. My money is on the tranny line fittings to the radiator starting to go, especially since it鈥檚 a 2005, or a crack in one of those hoses.

Reactions: Nail Grease

Registered
2005 Honda Pilot
Discussion Starter #19
I have a hard time believing it鈥檚 the tranny fluid drain plug, unless he鈥檚 driving in reverse at 60 mph.馃榿 Too much fluid dripping onto the bottom of the front bumper. My money is on the tranny line fittings to the radiator starting to go, especially since it鈥檚 a 2005, or a crack in one of those hoses.

yes good point lol, I added the pics from under the car later. gonna check the hoses and lines

Registered
2005 Honda Pilot
Discussion Starter #20
Here is a link to video I think the atf pooling near those screws under bumper is from spilling when adding to dipstick resovoir. The last bolt in the video had a drip too, this was after wiping everything down. The transmission line is loose and clamped to nothing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts