Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2018 EX-L from a non-honda dealer with 20,600 miles. During a rain storm -- the first day -- I got in to move the car into the garage and noticed water dripping from the area close to the rear view mirror / map light area, and pooling in the tray right in front of the gear shift. When I drove the car into the garage a steady stream of water poured out from the map light area. I had not even opened the sunroof since I purchased.

A friend suggested the sunroof tubes may be clogged (it shows signs that the car may have been sitting for a while (gunk on door edges) and also sustained some hail damage. I just wonder how water would start pouring in when the sunroof is closed just because it is raining unless there was an exterior area where water was getting in. I was also worried it may cause some electrical issues.

Any other thoughts?

I called the dealer back and was told it should be covered under the Honda warranty. Has anyone had this issue? I hope the car is covered under the original 36k warranty)! I'll find out tomorrow. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I just bought a 2018 EX-L from a non-honda dealer with 20,600 miles. During a rain storm -- the first day -- I got in to move the car into the garage and noticed water dripping from the area close to the rear view mirror / map light area, and pooling in the tray right in front of the gear shift. When I drove the car into the garage a steady stream of water poured out from the map light area. I had not even opened the sunroof since I purchased.

A friend suggested the sunroof tubes may be clogged (it shows signs that the car may have been sitting for a while (gunk on door edges) and also sustained some hail damage. I just wonder how water would start pouring in when the sunroof is closed just because it is raining unless there was an exterior area where water was getting in. I was also worried it may cause some electrical issues.

Any other thoughts?

I called the dealer back and was told it should be covered under the Honda warranty. Has anyone had this issue? I hope the car is covered under the original 36k warranty)! I'll find out tomorrow. Thanks for any advice!
Sounds like your on the right track. Just test with a water hose when you get it back after the repair. Since it's covered, I'd think they owe you a headliner too. The concern would be mold developing in it and the dome light.

Reactions: JulieM

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,871 Posts
Yep, sounds like a sunroof issue. if it moves it's just that much easier for it to develop a leak. Good luck with the dealer, hopefully they will get it fixed with no issue.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Good luck with any warranty coverage. Usually if there had been previous damages (you said evidence of hail damage) then the warranty may be void. Was the sunroof replaced due to the hail?

Hopefully the Honda dealer resolves the problem at no cost to you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good luck with any warranty coverage. Usually if there had been previous damages (you said evidence of hail damage) then the warranty may be void. Was the sunroof replaced due to the hail?

Hopefully the Honda dealer resolves the problem at no cost to you.
Thank you - I don't know if the sunroof was replaced. It wasn't disclosed to me - neither was it disclosed about hail damage (we only assume after seeing dents in roof and evidence of repair on the rest of the car (plugs in the doors). I'm not sure how to find out.

·
Registered
268 Posts
A common source of water leaks are the roof rail seams underneath the roof rail trim pieces. During the rain storm, was the car sitting at an attitude that would have allowed a leak at the roof rail to flow into the roof console?

·
Administrator
4,871 Posts
Don't think the 2018 EX-L has roof rails does it, unless they are an add on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A common source of water leaks are the roof rail seams underneath the roof rail trim pieces. During the rain storm, was the car sitting at an attitude that would have allowed a leak at the roof rail to flow into the roof console?
Thanks. No rails but it does have trim pieces on each side that seem to snap in where the rails would be. And yes, it was at an incline with the front of the car facing slightly downhill.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Don't think the 2018 EX-L has roof rails does it, unless they are an add on.
No roof rails on my 2017 EX-L. The plastic strips run in down the groves. They can be removed to expose the bolts to add rails if you want.

·
Administrator
4,871 Posts
No roof rails on my 2017 EX-L. The plastic strips run in down the groves. They can be removed to expose the bolts to add rails if you want.
Yeah, I was thinking that it was the Touing and above that came with factory installed roof rails. Not quite sure how they would leak into the vehicle after seeing some videos on roof rail installation. Believe the mounting bolts are welded to the roof so there is no opening that I am aware of for water to enter. However since my Pilot was a Touring and the Passport is a Touring I have never actually pulled the trim and seen the mounting first hand. Could be wrong.

I suppose it could be a conduit to a leaking windshield.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. No rails but it does have trim pieces on each side that seem to snap in where the rails would be. And yes, it was at an incline with the front of the car facing slightly downhill.
Is this area a common source of leaks even without hail damage? That is now my concern that the hail damage may void the warranty. But if it is a common source of leaks then maybe they'll cover it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Its most likely either clogged sun roof drain,which is easy to check by pouring water in the sunroof drain pan, or the “high side” (driver or passenger side when its was in the rain) roof seam is leaking. Sometimes leaks from the roof seam allows water to run down the A pillar and pool on the driver or passenger floor board. Check for wet carpeting. Also look for old water stains on the headliner near the A pillars.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Yeah, I was thinking that it was the Touing and above that came with factory installed roof rails. Not quite sure how they would leak into the vehicle after seeing some videos on roof rail installation. Believe the mounting bolts are welded to the roof so there is no opening that I am aware of for water to enter. However since my Pilot was a Touring and the Passport is a Touring I have never actually pulled the trim and seen the mounting first hand. Could be wrong.

I suppose it could be a conduit to a leaking windshield.
The entire roof panel is spot welded to the structural door frame members at a seam hidden by those trim pieces. Seam sealer is applied along the entire length of the seams to prevent water intrusion. Very common for these seams to leak in older vehicles as the sealant ages.
The ALA plant seems (no pun intended) to have problems with this seam sealing process.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX-L
145 Posts
Also check whether the windshield has been replaced.
I've had one replaced by crafty oompa-loompas who didn't do that good of a job at spreading the adhesive evenly and ended up with a 1/4 gap up top. During the next storm, water got in exactly around the map light assembly, dripped down, and fried my entertainment unit.
If it's been replaced, just check by blowing air from the inside out and listen/watch for signs of an air leak outside (or spray soapy water around the exterior trim of the windshield, blow air from the inside and look for bubbles.
No issues with the sunroof (knock on wood) on our 2011 since new, not sure how people even get theirs clogged unless they like to park their cars under trees all the time.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts