Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I'm finished changing out front brakes I believe that I've reversed position of the locking pin with slide pin on the driver's. Looking at the diagrams locking pin (with bushing) should be on the top for front brakes and on bottom for rear (btw, I think I've got my rears reversed as well and driven like that for 15k or so). So the question is, how actually important the position of the pins is? Does it make a huge difference if reversed and can it cause damage?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I'm with 126 of those who read this post have no idea on what's the difference. good to know I'm not the one that doesn't know

·
Registered
153 Posts
Found this by searching “Honda slide pins” in about 10 secs. Google is your friend.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found this by searching “Honda slide pins” in about 10 secs. Google is your friend.
have you actually watched the video you posted? The guy mumbles for 7 minutes playing the captain obvious without giving any answers. I appreciate you chiming in but would be nice to if it was of any help

·
Registered
160 Posts
One of the main purposes of a forum is to ask questions and responses like yours add no value. The video in no way answers the question.

·
Registered
153 Posts
OP. I apologize.That wasn’t nice or helpful. According to the service manual it is important to keep the pins in their proper location.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OP. I apologize.That wasn’t nice or helpful. According to the service manual it is important to keep the pins in their proper location.
View attachment 140036
Thank you for posting this, this is an interesting extract. I've tried hard to spot any major difference between the pins (with and without sleeve) but really had a hard time finding it. same length, same OD with exception of slightly larger sleeve OD, no grooves on the pin itself so I just can't figure out what difference would it make to have them reversed. BTW, rear calipers, pin with the sleeve goes down which is also a little confusing lol

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Wow. How do you tell? I’ll bet mine aren’t on properly for the last 40,000 miles. I’ll bet my shop just randomly put both bushings the same way front and rear. Either on the top or bottom.

Would be interesting for a Honda tech to shed some light here.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. How do you tell? I’ll bet mine aren’t on properly for the last 40,000 miles. I’ll bet my shop just randomly put both bushings the same way front and rear. Either on the top or bottom.

Would be interesting for a Honda tech to shed some light here.
I've looked up the diagrams for front and rear brakes and you can see where the pin with the sleeve goes to. Being an engineer myself, I just don't see how would they make any difference if placed "incorrectly"

·
Registered
16 Posts
learned something new today. I just put them back the way I found them and they are different front to rear. My guess it's a leading vs. trailing pin deal, with a particular pin having to be at the front (start?) of the pad/ caliper and the other one being at the back. As the front calipers are in front of the axle and the rear ones behind (upside down essentially, relative to the front) then the pins would appear to be in different places, but are actually in the same place relative to disk rotation/ front of the pad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts