Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. I'm in the market for a Pilot and was wondering if anyone out there who had bought recently could post info on how the buying process went and how much they ended up paying. I live in the SF Bay area and it appears that Pilots here are in short supply.
TIA

·
Registered
276 Posts
pbn2au said:
Hi. I'm in the market for a Pilot and was wondering if anyone out there who had bought recently could post info on how the buying process went and how much they ended up paying. I live in the SF Bay area and it appears that Pilots here are in short supply.
TIA

They're in short supply everywhere. Expect to pay sticker price for one, a lucky few here I think have gone below MSRP. I paid sticker price for mine.

Good luck in your search!

·
Registered
204 Posts
Paid 1800 below MSRP. Used autobytel.com, the dealer who offered 500 off directly offered 1800 off just by going through autobytel.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Hi pbn2ua, congrats on deciding to purchase a Pilot. Now the fun begins. I found a lot of Honda dealers in the SF Bay Area difficult. They just laughed at me:( when I asked for the fleet manager/internet dept for a price on a Pilot. They acted like they were doing me some huge favor just talking to me. Many didn't even return my calls.
I found Jim Doten Berkley Honda was very helpful and customer oriented:29: They didn't have the Pilot I wanted, white ex-l. They looked for it, then ordered it, kept in constant contact with me and called the second the truck pulled up with my Pilot on 12/20. I paid MSRP+. Search the forums for 'NorCal buying' and you'll find some creative solutions to avoid paying MSRP. I think someone on this site purchased from Stockton Honda for 1800? less than MSRP. You can search the forums for 'Stockton' too. Regardless if you pay MSRP or less, I love my Pilot and think it is a great bargain for the price. Good Luck! Please let us know how your buying experience turns out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Ordered ours on 10/28, delivered at dealer on 12/27, paid MSRP but got 3.49%. All in all a good deal...except for the trade in which they wanted to buy for 40% less than blue book value...which we'rte going to sell ourselves.

·
Registered
54 Posts
pdn2au,

It depends largely on where you live.. it looks like some people on the east and west coast pretty much get screwed with MSRP (+/- a few hundred dollars).. and everyone in between seems to be able to get a much better price..

Personally, I paid $500 under MSRP in So Cal.. its an "ok" deal by my estimates.. but nothing to brag about.. good thing was that I didnt have to wait either.. went in on 12/30 at 8:00pm, drove home at 11:30pm in a new Pilot.. well, my wife drove.. I just rode home..

·
Registered
85 Posts
I am looking for a Pilot too and everyone is coming back at MSRP. I am in the Mpls area and have contacted most of the dealers in MN, WI, SD, a few in IA, NE, and even TX. Not a penny below MSRP, and surprisingly, none above MSRP. So far they are all working off of their allocation sheets from Honda and selling them on paper.

I am still waffeling between the Highlander and Pilot. Leaning a bit more towards the Pilot due to the configuration of the back end for getting large items such as Home Improvement stuff (4 ft wide) to lay flat. Can't quite do that in the Highlander. The wheel wells come in to far. The extra 5.5 inches in overall width of the Pilot is a welcome site.

I also like that the cargo area is a little bit bigger than the Highlander. I have 3 golden retrievers that love to go everywhere and they will appreciate the extra room. I currently have an 1989 Jeep Cherokee that I have owned since day one and it has paid for itself many times over. Sadly, their quality has suffered in recent years.

I like the ride in both vehicles and wish the Pilot had Skid Control. That would make the decision easy.:) But a comparably equipped Highlander with cloth seats for the same features as the Pilot would be a special order and 6-7 month ordering time. Is that worth purchasing a Highlander at $100 over invoice (so all said and done, approximately $1800 less expensive than the Pilot.)? I am thinking not.

Good luck on your search. It is always nice to get a good deal and not have to pay retail, but if this truely the vehicle that will meet your needs and you can ENJOY driving at MSRP and not have buyer's remorse, then go for it! I hope to place my order this week.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ordered Mine today

I just ordered my Pilot EX today with wood grain on dash and interior. I paid MSRP and negotiated on the wood. I got the wood for aftermarket price of $346 plus $59 to install. And they waived the Doc Fee of $49.

I did all of this on the internet and purchased from Vern Eide in Souix Falls, SD. The person I dealt with was reasonable and not pushy.

I also received an email quote today from Honda Cars of McKinney, TX for $500 under MSRP if anyone is looking in that area. But in the upper Midwest, only MSRP was too be found.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yet another Quote

Recieved an email quote last night from John Eagle Honda in Texas for $1500 below MSRP in case someone is shopping down there. Was for an EX

·
Registered
176 Posts
BigBarkingDog -- emails???

I am kinda curious if the "MSRP Only" responses you got were in reply to faxes, phone calls or emails?

My hunch is that only the MOST savy dealers would be comfortable with email. None will SAY anything definative over the phone. A very FEW will fax back a response to a fax request, but since they had to WRITE something down, the FAX tends to be the most "trustable".

Curious if I'm correct.

·
Registered
85 Posts
All of my requests were made via email. I only talked to some on the phone after the first few email responses and we were getting down to details. My requests were very initially basic asking only for base price and destination fees so I could compare apples-to-apples.

Some only wanted to give me the bottom line once we started talking options, but after I pressed, I got each of the options quoted separately as well, both for cost of the part and the labor.

I figure I had nothing to loose since I am the one spending the money. Any dealers that do not want to supply me with the specific information I am requesting will not be receiving my business.

All in all, most of the dealers seemed to be fairly upfront and willing to provide the information I asked for. That is quite a bit different from what I was experiencing when out test driving and having to deal with the sales people from various dealerships. :3:

After reading a bunch on edmunds.com, I learned that dealing with the fleet managers/internet managers is more straightforward as they are compensated on quantity sold, not necessarily on jacking up the price on any one sale.

But like everything else, the more information you have going in, the better you do since then you are not as likely to buy on emotion.

Overall, I was satisfied with purchasing my Pilot over the internet and would do it again.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Re: Ordered Mine today

BigBarkingDog said:
I just ordered my Pilot EX today

Good choice. Your 3 Goldens will be most appreciative. Squishing them in the back of a Highlander may have attracted the wrath of PETA or the SPCA.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Pilot EX-L from Detroit, MI

Picked up our Havasau Blue Pilot EX with leather on Dec. 30th in Detroit, MI. Having done everything via emails and faxes, I spent about 27 minutes in the dealership signing the paperwork, and I was on my way.. It was the most pleasureable car buying experience I've ever had! No BS, no run around, no hassles... My out the door price was $33063 broken down as follows:
Havasu Blue Pilot EX-L............29416.00
fog lights..................................451.00
trailer hitch w/ tow pkg............751.00
auto day/night mirror...............313.00
rear splash guards...................51.00
roof rail crossbar set..............160.00
all-season floor mats.............included
Document Prep........................40.00
Michigan transit tag.................10.00
Michigan sales tax.................1871.00
I paid an additional $923 in California fees and taxes when I registered the Pilot here in So Cal. The actual tax part of the $923 was the difference between MI taxes and CA taxes. The rest was all the lovely fees they slap on you here. I put $5000 down and financed the rest through Honda at 3.49% for 60 months. The accessory prices aren't the absolute best, but after pricing the parts on the internet and adding in my time and frustration, I decided these were reasonable prices for letting the professionals deal with it. I looked into having it shipped back, but having family in Georgia, I decided to pick up the Pilot and drive down to see everyone. Then I enjoyed a leisurely drive home in the comfort of my new Honda Pilot.

·
Registered
152 Posts
So. Cal. Price

Has anybody gotten a Pilot EX-L w/ Entertainment under MSRP in So. Cal.? If you've gotten one, can you refer me to a same deal? My old car is about to break down any moment now and I need a new car desparately. E-mail me [email protected]

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just placed an order in Central Texas...

I ordered a Red Rock Pearl EX-L from a dealer in Central Texas today for $1800 below MSRP. It's scheduled to be built the week of the 27th; and is slated for delivery around Valentine's day.

I spoke via phone and email with a lot of dealers within 2.5 hrs of Austin. Many here still sell at MSRP, but I found that dealers in Houston and San Antonio were willing to deal. Some for $700-$1000 and others for a little bit more. In fact, I ran across two Pilots in San Antonio that I could have purchased for $3k or more below MSRP if I had been willing to live with the color.

·
Registered
85 Posts
RClark

rclarke - which dealer did you go through? John Eagle in Houston is offering $1800 off right off the bat without any negotiations. I am considering ordering from another dealer and jumping a plane with frequent flyer miles if the price is good enough.

EArnette - which dealer in Detroit did you go through? Did your price listed above for the base include the destination fee? If so, sounds like 1564 off MSRP was fantasic. Would you mind sharing the name of who you dealt with?

Thanks

·
Registered
3 Posts
I ordered through Cleo Bay Honda. I spoke with John Eagle in Houston...they were willing to negotiate, but they didn't have the vehicle I wanted. I also got some pretty good pricing from Gunn in San Antonio.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Thanks RClarke

Thanks for the quick response. It's nice to have alternatives.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Detroit Honda Dealer

I went through Friendly Honda in Clinton Township, a northern Detroit suburb. They were at $1000 over invoice in November, went to $1500 over invoice in December. Now that the economy is not recovering as fast as everyone thought, they may be back to $1000 over invoice. Good luck with the Pilot shopping. It seems that prices are starting to come down everywhere as the economy slows and auto sales figures drop.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Paid Sticker Price?

Northern CaliforniaHonda are making lotsa money and hanging pretty tight on MSRP +. That's because Bay Area people pay $500K+ for houses that would sell for 150K anywhere else. Obviously, Bay Area folks can afford to pay Sticker +. And apparently do so regularly.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts