Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are other threads on prices... but wanted to get a current view of the environment...

The heavy snows in the NE and mid-Atlantic played into the mix, along with war fears, economic woes, etc... SO...

What are current shoppers finding in their areas? I will travel, if needed, to get significantly better pricing. In the greater DC area (MD, NOVA, DC), there were some on the lots for the past couple of weeks, but from what I can tell, the inventory is gone again. Pricing is from $1,000 off MSRP on up. What's going on elsewhere?

Like Floriday_Guy, am also struggling with the buy now/hold off for 2nd gen Navi question... and other possible tweaks in the '04. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Bigrob said:
I know there are other threads on prices... but wanted to get a current view of the environment...

The heavy snows in the NE and mid-Atlantic played into the mix, along with war fears, economic woes, etc... SO...

What are current shoppers finding in their areas? I will travel, if needed, to get significantly better pricing. In the greater DC area (MD, NOVA, DC), there were some on the lots for the past couple of weeks, but from what I can tell, the inventory is gone again. Pricing is from $1,000 off MSRP on up. What's going on elsewhere?

Like Floriday_Guy, am also struggling with the buy now/hold off for 2nd gen Navi question... and other possible tweaks in the '04. Thoughts?
Maybe this has been covered elsewhere recently, but when are the '04 Pilots coming out? June?

This is just what I would do...if I really wanted to get a great deal, I'd wait until the '04's came out and drive a real bargain on an '03 Pilot. But then again, the Navi question wouldn't be an important one for me.

·
Registered
964 Posts
San Diego

Dealers say they want MSRP or higher but I was offered a deal on 3/5 for MSRP -$1150. I originally got that quote from a dealership in Pasadena and the dealer here said he would match. We didn't end up buying because they didn't have the color I was looking for (Sage). I then got an email from the dealer in Pasadena who said that they had one Pilot with a $5000 discount. Haven't gotten any more info from him but I may be driving up there this weekend to buy it if it's not too good to be true.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Re: San Diego

smurray said:
Dealers say they want MSRP or higher but I was offered a deal on 3/5 for MSRP -$1150. I originally got that quote from a dealership in Pasadena and the dealer here said he would match. We didn't end up buying because they didn't have the color I was looking for (Sage). I then got an email from the dealer in Pasadena who said that they had one Pilot with a $5000 discount. Haven't gotten any more info from him but I may be driving up there this weekend to buy it if it's not too good to be true.
A $5000 discount? Unbelievable!!! I wonder if it might be an LX that had been a little slow to sell. Even so, a discount like that would be nothing to wink at.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
That $5K discount is pretty incredible!!! Did they (Pasadena dealer) really mean a $500 discount and made a typo in their e-mail??? :8: If it is truly five grand off MSRP, then that's quite a good deal!! :4:

·
Registered
964 Posts
They claim to be overstocked. He says $5000 but I haven't gotten him to reply to my request for more info. You're right, if that is true I probably should buy it, LX or EX.
Here's more info if someone cares to call on it:
Colonial Honda
144 S. Glendale Ave.
Glendale, CA 91204
818 549 0030

(Sorry, said Pasadena, really Glendale, same neck of the woods anyway).

Guys name is Lawrence Long.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
for a $5K discount, I'd definitely figure a way to make the baby travel cross-country... though I suspect there may be more to it than meets the eye... maybe it's tarted up with outrageously priced DIOs or something.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spoke with a dealer today who said it was unlikely the 04's would be out before fall. Honda is also very secretive about changes in advance... so it's a bit of a guessing game.

Just wanted to hear what was going on out there in terms of inventory...

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
The Colonial Honda website lists 5 Pilots in their inventory. I guess that might be considered "overstocked" for the Pilot.

2003 Honda Pilot EXL--GPS Wagon Black
2003 Honda Pilot EXL Wagon Gray
2003 Honda Pilot EXL--DVD Wagon Silver
2003 Honda Pilot EX Wagon Silver
2003 Honda Pilot EX Wagon Silver

Make sure you take hard copies of your e-mail messages from the salesman. I'd hate for you to traveler there and get a "he's not here today, I don't know nuttin' about no discount".

Also get them to send send you a copy of the window sticker and a list of the dealer add-ons they've already installed and expect you to pay for above the "MSRP minus discount" price.

Call me a skeptic, call me careful, or call me "learned the hard way".

By the way, I agree with the "wait for the '04s and then buy a discounted '03" plan (if you can wait). That's how I got my last (non-Honda) SUV with a true $5k discount and 0% interest.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used honda.com to find a number of dealers' websites and from there checked their listed inventory. Almost all dealers listed at least some inventory, and a couple of dealers showed stockes of 10 or more... complete with VINs.

So... anyone know whether a dealer can list a "pre-sold" or ordered Pilot as "inventory" from the time it arrives at the lot until the new owner actually takes possession? Or is this "real" unsold inventory? If it is, it flies in the face of what a couple of dealers in the greater DC area have been telling me (no inventory, orders are 60-90 days out, etc.) Inquiring minds want to know.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Bigrob said:
for a $5K discount, I'd definitely figure a way to make the baby travel cross-country... though I suspect there may be more to it than meets the eye... maybe it's tarted up with outrageously priced DIOs or something.
I agree that it sounds like a great deal Bigrob, and it's good to see you do due diligence in finding out how 'real' the discount is.

My guess is that the amount that they are discounting from is inflated, either by
a) Dealer Installed Options, or
b) the 'regular' selling price of their Pilots (i.e. MSRP + $3000, for example), or
c) some other accounting trick.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
actually I bought my pilot at $2200 of the MSRP from a newspaper ad.
Last week the same daler had a ad for a pilot with all sorts of accessories at $4000 off. Only thing was it was a demo...so could be a similar case here too:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yesterdays Sunday Boston Globe lists the following;
Herb Chambers - Boston + Burlington + Seekonk - 83 Pilots available from $25K
Boch Honda - Norwood - 72 Pilots available

Is this possible? Are people still waiting for delivery of their Pilot? And are some dealers still getting a premium price?

Just wondering!

My Ex has 8,000 miles on it now, and no problems!
:)

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
hhayward said:
Yesterdays Sunday Boston Globe lists the following;
Herb Chambers - Boston + Burlington + Seekonk - 83 Pilots available from $25K
Boch Honda - Norwood - 72 Pilots available

Is this possible? Are people still waiting for delivery of their Pilot? And are some dealers still getting a premium price?

Just wondering!

My Ex has 8,000 miles on it now, and no problems!
:)
I have seen a lot of such ads. here in the chicago area too. These include all the pilots the dealer has on order from Honda. Not just the ones on the lot. :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting... it's a real tap dance... dealers want to encourage buyers to come out and look (buy/order) by listing inventory... but don't want people to think they have lots of inventory to move and might be willing to deal...

Sounds like North Texas/Oklahoma area is offering some real deals. Are there other "hot spots"?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Great Price on an LX

just bought a New 2003 Honda Pilot LX at Bob Howard Honda in Oklahoma City, Ok.
http://www.bobhowardhonda.com/

Honda LX
$25,119 (Thats $2241 off of MSRP)and
456 over envoice
I added these assessories
Leather $850 (dealer aftermarket) (all seats and door panels)
Tinted windows $119 (dealer aftermarket)
Roof rack $313
Splash guards $50
and a $149 Processing fee
Grand total of $26,600 Out the door (Tax and title excluded)
The salesmen name was Mat Brown and he said he could sell them all day at that price. If you buy one from him give him my name. They can also ship or drive them to you for a fee.

There is a leather installation company in OKC that all the Oklahoma city auto dealers use. They guarantee the leather also. The Honda EX L cars come with leather from the Honda factory. However if you want leather the dealer can have it installed. I have talked to several dealers that use this leather company and they say its leather is much better than what comes with a factory car. Also all the dealers in OKC can tint the windows in house
Kevin Brierton

1 - 16 of 16 Posts