Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea's why Honda decided to NOT to install LATCH anchors in the center of the second row? Most carseat manufacterers prefer mounting to be in the center. My mother's '03 TL has all three in the rear, as well as my buddy's '03 Evo.

What's up Honda?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
We have used the 2 center-most LATCH anchors and placed the car seat in the center of the second row. Seems to hold quite well and I know many others on this board have done the same.

Not sure why Honda chose not to put anchors in the center, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
920 Posts
11psiGSR said:
Any idea's why Honda decided to NOT to install LATCH anchors in the center of the second row? Most carseat manufacterers prefer mounting to be in the center. My mother's '03 TL has all three in the rear, as well as my buddy's '03 Evo.

What's up Honda?
Are you telling me that the cars you are describing above have six seperate latch points???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
11psiGSR said:
Any idea's why Honda decided to NOT to install LATCH anchors in the center of the second row?...
Um, we are currently using the LATCH anchors in the center of the second row.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
Re: Re: LATCH Users....

tim.s said:
Um, we are currently using the LATCH anchors in the center of the second row.
hey tim,
how has this setup been for access to the third row seat? do you have to remove the latch connection when you want to fold the seat forward (for back access)?

also, do you (or anyone) know of a link that states it is safe to use the 2 inner latch points for a middle child seat?

thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,117 Posts
Re: Re: Re: LATCH Users....

rock said:


hey tim,
how has this setup been for access to the third row seat? do you have to remove the latch connection when you want to fold the seat forward (for back access)?

also, do you (or anyone) know of a link that states it is safe to use the 2 inner latch points for a middle child seat?

thanks
Scroll down to "Safety" under this link.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Hey rock!

We have had no problem accessing the 3rd row while the car seat is in place in the center of the 2nd row. The 40 side of the 60-40 2nd row folds nicely around the car seat. We are (were) using the Graco Travel system. The car seat will move a little if you need to slide the seat forward (which most people would need to do, I assume), but it returns to its snug position when the seat is pushed back. I would only say that you would want to let anyone going to the 3rd row in BEFORE putting the baby in the car seat.

Nice find regarding the safety issue, Steve!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
center seat latch

Hey steve,
thanks a bunch! great link...exactly what I was looking for!

thanks for the experience with the seat access to kompers...great stuff to know as I will be putting this seat in within the next week (or so they say...:D )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Re: Re: LATCH Users....

MG Pilot said:


Are you telling me that the cars you are describing above have six seperate latch points???
Yes... that is correct. If you look at the seat back there are a total of six dot's, or six anchor points. The Pilot only has four.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Bad Idea

Folks:

if you look elsewhere on this site, as well as the Acura site, you will see a lot of discussion on this. Basically, it comes down to this:

The Pilot does <b>not</b> have a middle LATCH point. What people are doing is using the inside LATCH anchors from both outside seats and making them <b>seem</b> like there is a center LATCH position. If you measure the spread between the 2 LATCH anchors in the outboard seat, and then measure the spread between the two inside anchors (the one you would use if you put it in the middle position), you'll see that the distance for using the middle position is over twice the normal distance (in one of the outboard positions).

So, havign said all of that, the NHTSA says that you should only use the middle anchors if both the car manufacturer <b>and</b> the car sear manufacturer agree. The Honda manual does not say this is OK, and I am not inclined to believe that a quote of a Honda rep implies Honda's approval. In any event, the car seat manufacturer, which in my case is Century, says clearly on their web site that it is <b>not</b> OK to use the inner anchors. I do remember someone saying on another thread that one manufacturer stated that they allowed a longer spread between the latch points, but I am not sure about others.

So, we went from using them in the middle of the second row to now using the seatbelt in the middle of the second row.

--Bret
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Re: Re: Re: LATCH Users....

rock said:
also, do you (or anyone) know of a link that states it is safe to use the 2 inner latch points for a middle child seat?
It depends on the carseat model. The <a href="http://www.gracobaby.com/customerservice/faq_category.aspx?catID=1#118" target="_blank">Graco website</a> says that the SnugRide (infant model) "supports" a distance of 11.02 in. - the official LATCH standard. Unfortunately, the distance between the 2 center anchors is longer than that. The straps appear to have enough length to reach the 2 inner anchors, but not worth compromising the safety of this system.

So, I chose to use center position with the seatbelt... thinking that it is safer to be in the middle than on the sides. After a small amount of trial and error, I got it mounted securely.

I'm with ya'll that Honda should have had the snap to design for center LATCH mounts. :8:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,351 Posts
This issue was discussed pretty thoroughly on this thread. I'm surprised you'd say "most" cars have a center set of LATCH anchors. Most vehicles I'm aware of only have two outboard sets, not a set in the center.

As bret11 and rtresco said, using the outboard anchors to install a seat in the center is okay as long as both the auto maker and carseat maker approve. I've not seen anything in writing from Honda, but I know someone who has. Unfortunately, it's probably a moot point - since the Pilot's inner anchors are so far apart, the possibility of finding a carseat maker that allows you to install it there is unlikely. To be on the safe side, use the seat belt if you want to install a seat in the center.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
Re: Bad Idea

bret11 said:
...So, we went from using them in the middle of the second row to now using the seatbelt in the middle of the second row...
You are still using the "top-tether" LATCH point in the center position, correct?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Re: Bad Idea

tim.s said:
You are still using the "top-tether" LATCH point in the center position, correct?
Tim:

The top tether is actually not part of the LATCH system. The LATCH is only the bottom anchors. I think you should use the top tether regardless of whether you use LATCH or the seatbelt.

We do use the seatbelt and the top tether in the middle seat. Thanks to Honda, the seatbelt in the middle really does not impact my ability to see out the back window.

--Bret
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,351 Posts
Re: Re: Bad Idea

bret11 said:
The top tether is actually not part of the LATCH system. The LATCH is only the bottom anchors. I think you should use the top tether regardless of whether you use LATCH or the seatbelt.
Technically, the top tether anchor is part of the LATCH system. It's the "T" in LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren). You cannot use the lower LATCH anchors without using that top tether anchor as well. Unlike the lower anchors, the top tether anchor can also be used with a seatbelt installation. And, as bret11 said, it's a good thing to do. :29:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Bad Idea

tracy said:

You cannot use the lower LATCH anchors without using that top tether anchor as well. :29:
Isn't the top tether only used for forward-facing seats? My little one is still in the rear-facing mode and we have never used the top tether.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,351 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Re: Bad Idea

kompers said:

Isn't the top tether only used for forward-facing seats? My little one is still in the rear-facing mode and we have never used the top tether.
You're right; my bad. What I said applies to forward-facing use. Most seats are not tethered rear-facing. Some seats can be tethered rear-facing (in the US, this is limited to Britax and some Sit N Stroll models), but you don't necessarily use the top tether anchor for that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
145 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Bad Idea

tracy said:

Technically, the top tether anchor is part of the LATCH system. It's the "T" in LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren).
Tracy:

Thanks for the correction on LATCH. And also for reminding people that when you use the lower LATCH anchors, you <b>must</b> use the tether.

As an aside: I was very happy when we got our first car seat and it came with the top tether strap. Unfortunately, our cars at the time (a 1995 Subaru Legacy and a 1999 Mazda Protege) did not have top tether points....however, both cars had predrilled holes under the rear sill to screw them into. The Subaru dealer gave us the part to install ourselves at no charge. The Mazda dealer told us that they had no such part available. Thankfully, I had read somewhere that top tethers points have been required in canada for a while, and someone suggested calling a Canadian dealer to get the part number. I did, and no tonly did thye give me the part number, they also sent me the part for free!

--Bret
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top