Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No alignment issue. Car drives nice and straight with LKAS off. Original windshield. Clean and no cracks.

When LKAS is on, my car tends to hug left side of the lane. I meant, it's still within the lane but a bit more toward the left. Is it my imagination, or is it per design?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Not sure about the design, mine is the exact opposite, it really pingpongs quite a bit between the lines but generally perfers to be closer to the right side.

In general I think the programming of the LKAS really sucks, especially it's (lack of) integration with the Lane Departure Mitigaion (LDM). With LKAS off and the LDM on, when I get too close to either side of the lane, as you would expect the display flashes at me and the steering wheel vibrates. Good, that's what it's supposed to do...

But with LKAS on, you would expect the 2 systems to 'talk' to each other, and if I get too close to the edge, the LKAS should just steer me back into the lane. Wrong. Generally after a few seconds, it gives up, and the LDM starts vibrating the wheel and flashing the display.

I mean, WTF is that??? The LKAS has only one job to do. The LDM knows it's not doing its job and warns me.

Would it not have been simpler if the programmers had integrated the 2 subroutines better with a simple 'if' statement, that says:

IF LDM on, and LKAS off
Then shake steeriing wheel
If LDM on and LKAS on
Then steer the bloody car back into the lane and don't shake the wheel instead

Not rocket science IMO, just really badly programmed/implemented

Cheers

·
Registered
268 Posts
Mine tends to hug the right side of the lane. I’m sure it’s within specification but I like to move to the left of centerline when passing a semi and I fight the LKAS to move left. The LDW is more sensitive on the left side too. It will alert when within a ~1 foot of the left lane marker but won’t alert until the tires are over the right side marker. Good thing is it’s easy to turn off when I get too annoyed with it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
LDW is more like a hand massager. It complains about my driving all the time.

It's quite scary to lean toward left when there is oncoming traffic. I'd prefer LKAS hugs right side of the lane.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,857 Posts
Mine tends to hug the right side of the lane. I’m sure it’s within specification but I like to move to the left of centerline when passing a semi and I fight the LKAS to move left. The LDW is more sensitive on the left side too. It will alert when within a ~1 foot of the left lane marker but won’t alert until the tires are over the right side marker. Good thing is it’s easy to turn off when I get too annoyed with it.
There is this little thing sticking out on the left side of the steering column. Many people think it is just the location of their headlight switch, but it has another function. If you pull it down the left turn signals will operate. If you push it up the right turn signal will operate. When the LKAS is on and you want to pass, if you use the turn signal then it temporarily deactivates the system, meaning it will not try to keep you in your own lane when passing.

·
Registered
303 Posts
There is this little thing sticking out on the left side of the steering column. Many people think it is just the location of their headlight switch, but it has another function. If you pull it down the left turn signals will operate. If you push it up the right turn signal will operate. When the LKAS is on and you want to pass, if you use the turn signal then it temporarily deactivates the system, meaning it will not try to keep you in your own lane when passing.
So much this. I have noticed on other Honda forums that much of the complaining about Honda Sensing is that it works best when people use blinkers.

A good bit of the complaining also comes from people that expected the system to be an autopilot, which it isn't (and isn't intended to be).

I've had two Hondas, and haven't had a problem with the system in either one of them. I guess I've just been lucky. That said, mine favors the right side of the lane. It sounds like the OP's car thinks it's in England.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure everyone knows about LKAS shuts off during signaling. The issue is LKAS not really centering. On poor marking pavements, LMD gets activated so often, it's almost like a little B.

·
Registered
Honda Pilot EXL 2020
13 Posts
Well i had this one time experience with it since it is new to me.. when i was following a lead car on a road construction and we moved to the middle of the road it is showing me that i am leaving the lane and vibrating and after a few second brake! Is on my screen and suddenly braking by itself, luckily the car behind me is far.. now everytime I am leaving the lane i always use my 3 blink signal light..

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh no, not that crazy. It's kindda like this (copy/paste from Google). Around here, the old and new markings are not aligned. Some sections have old markings on the left of new, and vice versa.

·
Registered
268 Posts
@Daltongang Thanks so much for that helpful information. Pulling that little stick down solved my problem! Now can you tell me how to get rid of the annoying clicking sound? Only happens with that little stick in the down position. (Maybe the up position too, haven’t tried it yet)

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
93 Posts
LKAS on Pilot need a lot of programming work to be 100% useful. It's annoying to me so I just turn mine off all the time.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
I wonder how many Piloteers just turn this tech off. The only time mine is on is when I am cruising the freeway.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I wonder how many Piloteers just turn this tech off. The only time mine is on is when I am cruising the freeway.
Mine is always off unless I'm unwrapping a granola bar. In my other car I'm forced to use my knee which seems to work just as well.

·
Administrator
4,857 Posts
@Daltongang Thanks so much for that helpful information. Pulling that little stick down solved my problem! Now can you tell me how to get rid of the annoying clicking sound? Only happens with that little stick in the down position. (Maybe the up position too, haven’t tried it yet)
Sorry no can do. Seem that Honda has an unrealistic dream that the people that drive their vehicles do so in a safe and proper manner. They like the little clicks sound so people don't do this.............

·
Registered
145 Posts
Sorry no can do. Seem that Honda has an unrealistic dream that the people that drive their vehicles do so in a safe and proper manner. They like the little clicks sound so people don't do this.............
I had a late 90's pontiac grand prix years ago. If you left the blinker on for something like 40 seconds, it would start beeping loudly from some kind of electronic beeper under the dash. That was a great idea/feature.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
At least turn signal is a standard equipment on vehicles in GB. Here in TX, seems many cars aren't even equipped with such feature.

·
Administrator
4,857 Posts
At least turn signal is a standard equipment on vehicles in GB. Here in TX, seems many cars aren't even equipped with such feature.
Nah that’s not true, it’s just that in Texas R.T.F.M. is fighting words, so most Texans never learned about them and how they work. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
7 Posts
No alignment issue. Car drives nice and straight with LKAS off. Original windshield. Clean and no cracks.

When LKAS is on, my car tends to hug left side of the lane. I meant, it's still within the lane but a bit more toward I ration the left. Is it my imagination, or is it per design?
I suspect it’s the calibration of cameras in the windshield. A 3” rock on highway hit my windshield. Replaced with OEM acoustic for my 2019 Pilot EX-L. Before replacement, mine didn’t lean to left or right. It seemed in the middle. Now after calibration with new glass, it lights up flashing orange on the left side.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts