Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I test drove the 2003 Disco over the weekend. I know, I know, very inconsistent driving records, etc. I think this is a car you either love or hate. I love the outside, especially the front lights and grill. The inside was a bit odd in terms of the dash, etc. Very non-American and non-Japanese, duh its British. It is a very HEAVY car to drive. Totally different than anything I have driven before. It was raining when I drove it so I was really able to test out the brakes and all that. It apparently has some computer system that can sense when one wheel is doing one thing and adjust everything else blah, blah, blah (sales-guy talk). The engine in the Disco is the same one that is in the new Range Rover. I compared some of the specs with the Pilot and the headroom/legroom and all that are pretty much the same, but I felt the back seat to be a bit cramped. Then came the bomb....12 mpg!

·
Registered
767 Posts
I looked at a Discovery also. Mostly just out of curiosity though, since every mechanic I know told me to stay away from Land Rovers. There were other vehicles that I liked but either my wife or I couldn't find a comfortable driving position, but the Discovery was in a whole different class in this respect. Not only was the driving position very weird, but the whole thing just felt... strange.

Believe me, I don't mind "different" - I've owned cars from France, for goodness sake! But in the Discovery, I felt like I was driving a school bus standing up.

·
Registered
305 Posts
i also tried the disco. My wife had driven one without me and she said she liked it alot. So I eventually caved and went to check one out. My first issue was that I couldn't get very comfortable in it. But it is a bit better than my mom's Trooper. I thought it had decent power, but the ride was very rough (as can be expected of such a good off-roader, but not what I expect of a luxury vehicle - something that makes the Land Rover an oddity in the first place). The part that bothered me most about the test drive was at the very end when I tried to pull it back into its parking space at the dealer. I was not prepared for the horrible turning radius and had to stop, back up, and take another shot at it to get it in there.

But the real clincher was a 2-fold situation. I searched for an aftermarket extended warranty since we'd be buying a 2-year old model. Nobody will warranty this thing! I found one company that would do it, but they wanted double the price for the Disco that they did for any other SUV we were researching. PLUS I took a look at the service schedule at the dealer. $450 every 3 month service!!!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that service amount blows. The dealership that I went to now offers free scheduled maintentance.

·
Registered
207 Posts
We too were looking at the Disco. Was really impressed when the sales guy took us "off road" on their rocky demo mountain. While transversing the ~45 degree hill, he stopped so we'd get the full effect. I couldn't believe we weren't tipping over, of course that's what everyone says, he said.

We thought the back seat was a little more cramped than the MDX we were comparing, but I preferred the two jump seats in the third row of the Disco a little more than the X.

The final thing(s) that convinced us to switch from LR to Honda or Acura was the combination of 12mpg and requiring Premium Unleaded as well!

The Premium fuel is actually the only thing that got me to switch to the Pilot at the last minute and not buy the MDX, just didn't want to spend anymore on fuel than was necessary.

·
Registered
305 Posts
service

that dealership was also offering 4 years of free service. That's a great incentive when you look at that cost!

But it still didn't offset the $20K difference between new and 2-year old. They can climb rocks, but their value also drops like one!

come to think of it, maybe i'm remembering wrong. $450 seems more than excessive. Maybe it was $150?? Either way, its way too much.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I too have always been enticed by the Discovery's 'come check me out' looks, but have heard way too many people and reports say 'stay away' due to maintenance and repair costs.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agree about the drop in value. I was looking at a 2003 that was purchased at an auction w/ 7,000 miles on it. The price was $27,850! Brand new it would be almost $34,000. Can you believe the base model doesn't come w/ a CD player. I laughed so hard at the guy. I told him I could go get a Chevy Cavalier for $13,000 and get a 6changer but not one in a $33,000 car? Nuts! I still like the way it looks though....

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
:) I would prefer the montero limited for the disco at half the price, durable , reliable and totally capable for 4x4 trails. forget about the tipping over, it doesn't happen unless you drive it like an evo:D I love my pilot though my second choice.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts