Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love this vehicle, but I do have one major complaint about the RES. It works great, but I sometimes have a hard time controlling it from the driver's seat. I understand the stereo controls (front/rear & rear on/off). They are fine.

My problem is controlling the DVD functions. My children are young - too young to use the remote control or the ceiling controls. If they want a DVD, I have to insert it up front and then start it without being able to see the screen to tell if I'm selecting the right options. For some DVD's, I can insert the disk and let it start, and then push the play button on the stereo and everything's fine.

For others, it's not so easy. If the default option on the initial DVD on screen menu is not "play movie", I end up God knows where with my kids upset. More then once, I've had to pull over and recline my seat so I can see the menu options to choose the correct one to start the movie.

My question is - why didn't Honda put more function controls on the actual DVD player - start, stop, etc.? The controls on the stereo are spotty at best. I haven't figured out how to STOP and restart a disk so far - just play, pause and skip forward/skip backwards.

Does anyone have any tricks they have found? I'm hoping I'm missing something. I read the manual (last resort) but I didn't see anything new.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Excellent question. I too have done the "Sesame Street recline" into the back seat to figure out what is on the DVD screen.

I hope someone has a crafty solution.

fitzkorn

·
Registered
55 Posts
As my kids are old enough to work the controls themselves I must admit I hadn't given this much thought. I'm interested to hear the creative solutions some of you have come up with.:)

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Agree - Pain in the Rump

I wholeheartedly agree that not being able to "see" which controls I need to press to get the DVD to play is a ROYAL PAIN. My son is too young to know how to operate the remote so my wife has to sit in the second row with him to "run" the DVD system... bummer!!! A lot of times, I feel like a taxi driver...

·
Registered
465 Posts
I'm short, but I have learned how to reach the "enter" and "play" buttons from the driver's seat, while driving. Just memorize how many times you have to push each one to get the movie going.

Of course, for some strange reason, my son likes to watch the "Coming Attractions" trailers which usually takes him right to the point where all I have to push is "play" when he tells me they are over.

·
Registered
408 Posts
The idea is not to give the driver an other distraction (radio or CD) and also controls on the DVD even do you honda place controls on it you need to look at screen sometimes to select, so this extra feature you asking for, can cost Honda headache.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Remote Control

:mad: I have a 3yo every time she wanted to match monster inc., she wanted to watched now from the beginning not to wait for ½hrs for commercial to end. There's no MENU in front of driver to control DVD only on the Remote and the remote will not work in front only from 2nd row seat. Very PAIN.

But my 3yo smart enough to rise her handheld mirror when I ask her to rise because when I used the remote control send a signal to the DVD console in the back via reflecting mirror to control the DVD MENU & ENT.

SS EX-L RES #35211

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, haknuman59! If you can bounce the remote signal off a hand mirror held by a 3 year old in the back seat while driving to make the DVD play, you should get a job working with the Mission Impossible team! :2: :2: :2:

I'm glad to hear I didn't miss something on the front controls, but I still think Honda should have added a few simple DVD operating controls in the front.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
... or at least the MacGyver Award for ingenuity and creativity!!! (For those of you who remember the 80's TV show starring Richard Dean Anderson...)

·
Registered
465 Posts
there are radio controls...

The + and - round buttons on the right side of the radio will take you forward and back tracks on the DVD. Handy if you want to rewind the DVD to play over and over.
The "2" button works as PLAY. Actually, it will only make about half of my son's DVDs play. The others you have to push the ENTER button on the head unit.
The "6" button pauses the DVD.

These are all pretty handy, but I find myself using the buttons on the head unit most of the time. I can't wait for my son to learn to use the remote!

·
Registered
465 Posts

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
:eek: Looks like kruzo added a new video screen and IR remote receiver. Guess he didn't run the DVD to the Navi.

Wonder if he can watch DVDs while driving into the sun? ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts