Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to have cross bars installed at my 2nd service (oil change) at the dealership...I have asked 3 different dealers for their installation charge and have gotten 3 different answers (2-3 hours or 3 or 3-4 hour range)...The one constant was that all 3 service managers frowned when I asked the question (obviously not thrilled to install these as prevous treads have addressed installation issues).....Does anyone know what the exact labor time it should take a Honda service dept to install the cross bars? ---any feedback is appreciate ---waxpilot in Long Is

·
Registered
316 Posts
Installing the crossbars is not the problem. It's getting the plastic cover on the ends of the crossbars off that is an issue. If done incorrectly you could really chew up the plastic pieces and even crack the plastic covers themselves. I think the issue w/ the dealers is that they do'nt want to damage the plastic covers. Do a search on crossbar install. There are a bunch of different techniques that will help emmensely. Once the covres are off it's just a matter of sliding the crossbars in "facing the right direction" and tightening them down.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Typical Attitude!

Obviously Honda dealers on LI are charging an excessive amt on the x-bar install...With 80.00/hr Labor charge I would have to pay at least 160.00-240.00 for the installation of the cross bars(excluding cost of bars)...For that amount I have nothing to lose by trying the install myself and dive into the install with the helpful instructions previously noted on this site......Wish me luck!!! ---waxpilot on LI

·
Registered
199 Posts
The cross bars are an easy install if you have the instructions. One trick is that the plastic covers on the front supports slide forward once you release the Torx bolt. Make sure you install the bars with the front facing forward. Took me about 45 minutes.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts