Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I removed the original strut/spring unit from the passenger (right) side and compared to the new KYB SR4168, which is supposed to be an OEM replacemt for 2003 pilot. The KYB is about 1" shorter than the original, which was never removed since 2002 when I bought the pilot.

Ant idea why the new strut is shorter by 1"? I would have thought it should be a bit longer.

Any insight is appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
86 Posts
2WD vs 4WD pilot? Don’t know much about 1st Gen pilots...

·
Registered
653 Posts
The 16 years old gas strut may no longer have the same compression force as the new one!!!!!!!!!. Isn't that why you replace it?

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the response from KYB Tech Support:

Even though the assembly appears shorter, when installed on the vehicle, it will maintain the factory ride height because of the new springs.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
That's odd ..if you take a look in the picture it is indeed shorter look at the strut itself .. it's compressed more than the old one.. ...
The old one should be shorter than the new one hense that is WHY they are being replaced?

·
Registered
17 Posts
FWIW I installed KYB for years in pilots and Odyssey’s. They always leak after about a year. If that. If it’s not too late, spend a couple extra bucks and get loaded Monroe. You won’t be sorry.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
You can see more bolt threads on the top of the KYB assembly compared to the OEM. I’m thinking the KYB springs are compressed more than the OEM. I believe that nut at the top of the assembly is the one that you don’t mess with unless the springs are in a compressor device so I am NOT suggesting that you adjust the nut.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
FWIW I installed KYB for years in pilots and Odyssey’s. They always leak after about a year. If that. If it’s not too late, spend a couple extra bucks and get loaded Monroe. You won’t be sorry.
Agreed I have been running Monroe quick strucks ..no issues reported from the daily driver peanut gallery :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts