Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just started noticing a ticking sound coming from the engine that increases with RPM. I know these engines have DI, but I've never had an engine with that so I don't know the sound.

I also just changed the oil and used Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage. I had Valvoline in it before. But I'm not sure if I just wasn't noticing it then. Could the High Mileage solution be causing this?

Here's the sound:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm going to do another oil change with a different filter and see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Just to clear up something in your post, these are NOT DI engines.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Solved. Purge control valve is ticking like crazy. Not sure if it's supposed to do that.

Tip: buy an automotive stethoscope. It's the best tool I have in my troubleshooting arsenal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What filter is on there now?
I had the orange can of death (FRAM). I read too many bad thing about these so it had me worried that it was causing low oil pressure thus causing valve train issues.

See my latest response though. I solved the source of the noise. Purge control valve...

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just to clear up something in your post, these are NOT DI engines.
Interesting... From the location of the fuel injectors, I would have thought so. I guess that's a good thing. DIs have issues with valve buildup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts