Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m hoping it’s not a lower end rod knock, but when I hold the Pilot in Drive, and give it a little gas(750-1000rpm), it has a knocking sound. I recorded it but can’t add videos. 2018 with 36k. I’m bringing it to Honda tomorrow where my brother is service manager so he can have someone find out what’s going on. It literally sounds like it would be a 200k motor.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
If your holding your left foot on the brake, slip into drive, then accelerate, putting the engine under a load and you hear a knock, its likely an engine mount. But yes, we'd be intrested to know what the service dept says. Hopefully not a piston rod.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Yeah my thoughts were it could be a motor mount hopefully.

Any manufacturer can have a defective component at low miles so hopefully it doesn't taint the Pilot ownership experience. Reminds me of the time we had to push in a brand new 2007 S-Class into the dealer parking lot, literally blew the motor right when they pulled out of the driveway for a test drive. Ended up being an injector got stuck open and flooded the cylinder which ventilated the block....there later became a bulletin on it (or recall cant remember).

So, worst case something is wrong, if the dealer handles it well, chalk it up to bad luck.

·
Registered
439 Posts
If it is in fact a bad motor mount, chalk another failure to "normal" VCM operation.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Piston rod.... Glad my brother is a service manager at Honda, he had 3 master techs look at it, they all said it was no bueno. So I am exchanging the Pilot for another Pilot(same year, 35k EX-L) at Carmax where I got this one. I was ok with getting a new block at the dealership he works at, but then they wanted me to drop it off there to bring to some other "Honda service place", red flag. I don't want a 70k motor put in, or a can of snake oil. So I told them I will use the 30 day return or exchange policy. They were good with that. I liked this Obsidian blue one, but oh well. Crystal black Pearl still looks good.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Thanks for coming back with the resolution. Good catch! Glad CarMax is honoring their 30 day warranty. I know some people don't like paying their prices, but that warranty paid for itself many times over in your case!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE....

I went to Carmax and returned the blue 2018 Pilot, spent 9 entire hours at the dealership, no way to leave, didn't eat for 12 hours, got the back and forth runaround, only to drive another Pilot same year, that had a droning sound coming from underneath, and I was told may be tire feathering but they wouldn't replace the tires because they were "within their tolerances". It was the rear diff, I know it was. So I told them I saw another Pilot(2018 EX), not in as great condition as the other 2, but it ran and drove excellent. I took it home. BACKSTORY.... I had a good APR on the first pilot, then Carmax all of a sudden couldn't get approvals for me and used the Carmax in house finance at 4% higher APR. I was so tired after sitting there for an entire day I took the POS home. I called Capital One the next morning and asked why they would not finance the 3rd choice pilot? They said it didn't qualify because it had prior damage!!! I was like WTF?? They sent me a Carfax. It had damage from the front to back at one point. So I ended up taking it back 3/10. I went to where my brother works as a Honda service manager. They just got a MINT, and I mean NEW condition 2018 EX, with 29k. Needless to say I took it home tonight and my payments with gap insurance, wheel/tire road hazard, extended warranty are $150 less!!!!! So a big F U to CrapMax and your junk cars....

PS. THEY PUT THE BLUE ONE WITH ROD KNOCK BACK ON THE LOT!!! AND THE BLACK ONE... SO, what I thought was a dealer standing behind their product is a dirt bag, hack, national dealer(embarrassment). End of rant.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Wow, that's terrible. Guess the CarMax warranty was worth it for you, but not for the poor sucker who buys it the next time!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Wow, that's terrible. Guess the CarMax warranty was worth it for you, but not for the poor sucker who buys it the next time!
Thank God they have a good return policy. And there should be a way to alert people as to what they are about to buy. Like a red flag system LOL.
It worked out best for me in the end. They are probably hoping someone who doesn’t know what’s what about cars will buy it. Sad actually.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts