Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Everyone,

I noticed while driving my wife Pilot 2019 EX-L that I hear a knocking sound that appears to come from the front axel when I step on the gas and let go of it, so the car drives idle. I'm not sure if this normal for a truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
Should not be any knocking sounds from the axle. Inspect or have CV axle inspected as well as some suspension parts that may be damaged or worn.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,042 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I noticed while driving my wife Pilot 2019 EX-L that I hear a knocking sound that appears to come from the front axel when I step on the gas and let go of it, so the car drives idle. I'm not sure if this normal for a truck.

More information needed.

A single knock? In a straight line only? Or only when turning? A continuing knock????

Please fill in the details. Even if you have to go out and test drive it again!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Hello Everyone,

I noticed while driving my wife Pilot 2019 EX-L that I hear a knocking sound that appears to come from the front axel when I step on the gas and let go of it, so the car drives idle. I'm not sure if this normal for a SUV

Fixed it for you LOL

Reactions: djorn2k

·
Registered
301 Posts
do you have a lot of salt use in your area for winter? I had a knock that was bad when coasting and it ended up being a siezed U-Joint from rust on the drive shaft. It made the noise sound like it was coming from the front but ended up being the u-joint at the rear diff. Mine was knock-knock-knock-knock. Is yours constant as you coast? or just a let off the gas and a single knock, then on the gas let of, single knock? if so that sounds like a mount for the engine or a strut or sway bar etc.

·
Registered
301 Posts
OK just as an observation. We went to the in-laws for easter 2.5 hr drive normally, trip down in FWD with LTX tires was fine. Mother nature decided to throw a snow storm at us on Sunday. Driving home in 4-6" of snow in FWD with the LTX was not fun. It took 4 hours with many a but pucker moment when the truck would break traction in the heavy wet snow and slide. Only time the VTM-4 light came on was to get up the drive I had to shut off VSA and spin the bejeesus out of the tires to make it up so it blinked a few times as it obviously couldn't work. Moral of the story. I am so glad I have the 4wd Pilot vs the FWD and I would never try and run it in winter without good winter tires! I'll be ordering the drive shaft later this month and installing before camping season.

Sorry, meant to post that in one of my threads.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
A bad U-joint in a 3rd gen. 🤔 I guess it's plausible.

Reactions: Maritime

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,042 Posts
Choice of problems.

1: Loose wheel nuts
2: Last work done on car wasn't tightened properly
3: Change in torque as you go on or off power likely causing the noise and is caused by wear and tear.

·
Registered
9,437 Posts
Choice of problems.

1: Loose wheel nuts
Definitely check the lug nuts. Was a similar problem over on the Accord forum not long ago.
Does it sound anything like this?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts