Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I picked up my first Honda (All previous cars were either GM or Chrysler and one Mazda) which happened to be 2016 Pilot EX-L w/53000 miles on it last Saturday from a Toyota dealer to where it been traded in by its original owner. The truck has a very good service history on carfax.

During the test drive everything was very smooth and I did not noticed anything. But after driving if for a while on freeway (40 min to one hour) on the parking lot I noticed a knocking sound from the bottom part of the engine. I would be very certain it might be a worn rod bearing (at 53K?). But the mystery is this sound goes away after a 3-5 minutes idling and never comes back until the next long drive. Asked my wife to hold 2-2.5 rpm - sound goes away immediately.

I will try to make a video tonight, but wanted to ask if this might be something common on pilots?
I live in Long Island, New York and last couple weeks it was very hot and humid here. Prior this Honda I used to drive Jeep Cherokee w 3.2L V6. Which was pinging and knocking badly on recommended 87 octane fuel during the same hot and humid days. Problem was solved by switching to premium. Honda is still on its "free" fuel tank from the dealer so I believe they put in 87 as well.

I have a few questions to the community:

Is it something common?
Can pinging due to low quality fuel be sound like a light (but very noticeable) knocking?
Toyota dealer put fresh oil in. Nobody knows what oil they used. Should i change it to Honda OE or Motul?

I called to the dealer Honda was serviced by its original owner and asked if there were any recommendations last couple service appointments. There were very helpful to check and said that at last service they discovered AFT leak from the transmission line and customer paid to fix it. No any notes about engine issues.

Thank you!

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
500 Posts
I've had a knocking like that the past couple weeks when driving more than a couple hours on days when it's above 90 degrees. It only makes the noise when going up a hill and pressing the accelerator. Letting off on the gas makes it stop immediately, and I don't hear it when accelerating on level ground, even at the same RPM (around 3k rpm). I thought it might have been the timing belt tensioner or something else related to the belts, but the noise is still there after my timing belt replacement a couple weeks ago, where I also replaced the accessory belt and tensioner and PS belt. I'm running 87 octane also, and am thinking of trying a higher grade gas next time I'm on a trip, since it doesn't make the sound on trips less than 90 minutes.

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
I had a knocking too on my 2017. Had me scared because of all the info was leading to a rod bearing. It turned out to be my rear or front engine mount. I replaced both and the knocking was gone.
Yes, engine mount failure was common on 2016s.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
500 Posts
I had a knocking too on my 2017. Had me scared because of all the info was leading to a rod bearing. It turned out to be my rear or front engine mount. I replaced both and the knocking was gone.
I just replaced my front and right mounts a couple months ago, and the noise didn't start until about a month ago. The rear mount looks okay, but I guess maybe I'll have to pull it out and check it. I'm really hoping it's not something more serious since I've done all this other work on the Pilot.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My knocking is only at idle when parked and just for minutes after load. No noticeable sound on uphill (tested it specifically after noticed sound)

·
Registered
9,383 Posts
My knocking is only at idle when parked and just for minutes after load. No noticeable sound on uphill (tested it specifically after noticed sound)
Yep, sounds like a rear or front engine mount.
To test.., place your left foot on the brake firmly (do not release), shift into drive, then raise the rpms up slowly with your right foot. The knock knock knock..., will become more prevalent. Shift into reverse to test as well. Have somone observe the engine, if one side is raising up further than the other, that is also another sign.

Reactions: Malv

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, sounds like a rear or front engine mount.
To test.., place your left foot on the brake firmly (do not release), shift into drive, then raise the rpms up slowly with your right foot. The knock knock knock..., will become more prevalent. Shift into reverse to test as well. Have somone observe the engine, if one side is raising up further than the other, that is also another sign.
Will test tonight and post the result. Thank you for the advice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Okay I did a bit of investigation. The knocking (or tapping) sound appearing only when AC is on. So i believe this might be a ac compressor clutch or bearing or something related so shouldn’t be a problem.

However tried the engine mount test - all good.

Also tested short uphill in different modes ( slow and steady, accelerating, gas release after accelerating) no sound at all.

Will check the AC clutch during the upcoming oil change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts