Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm out of town so i need to rely on what i'm being told and what i need to tell the mechanic to look for .. the boss is experiencing a knocking feeling when she's starting to move the 2015 Pilot. also a vibration is experienced when at higher that 50mph speeds .. any suggestions ?

tie rods ... ball joints ...

·
Registered
8,906 Posts
CV joints are another possibility.
Have the mechanic go for a drive with her so she can demonstrate the problem.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Cure the steering wheel rattle by cycling the wheel forward and back with the column lock released. That will redistribute grease on the splines in the shaft. You can add a little more grease but it's usually not necessary.

Vibration is likely wheel balance or tire damage.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
577 Posts
What Bob said on the steering is spot on. Had the same issue. I also have a minor vibration between 70 and 80 that’s not tire related, not brake related, not compliance bushing related, and my cv axles look good with no play. Tempted to parts cannon CV axles at it but just not convinced enough yet. It’s just enough to be annoying.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She has it scheduled with the dealership since i still have the bumper to bumper warranty on it . Even so I will know what needs to be addressed to solve the issue.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cure the steering wheel rattle by cycling the wheel forward and back with the column lock released. That will redistribute grease on the splines in the shaft. You can add a little more grease but it's usually not necessary.

Vibration is likely wheel balance or tire damage.
or a bad engine mount as discovered for the vibration

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
muffler bearings.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
The Good News about just sliding the wheel on the splines is tha it's really fast, really easy, an you have instant feeback on whether it took care of the symptom. If not... new muffler bearings is always an option. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
243 Posts
Or it could be the rack unit-mine was actually bad I think from the factory and yes, I "greased the shaft".

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
To get enough clearance/freeplay between the pinion and the rack to feel at the wheel, would typically be telltaled by the steering fluid leak at the pinion seals. The dry sliding splines in the upper shaft are the typical cause. I need to go look to see what isolation there is between the sections of the steering shaft. Many cars have a flexible isolation disk, one that gets damaged in certain situations and leaves the column with freeplay. You can feel and usually hear that freeplay easily by turning the steering wheel with the engine off. Try that to make sure the steering noise is actually coming from the columns and steering shaft.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts