Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

Figured I would share my new tire/wheel package for my 2016 Pilot Touring AWD. Went with the new KMC Alpine KM721 wheels in 18x8" w/38mm offset (5x120mm) w/Nitto Ridge Grappler 265/60/18 (30.5" vs stock 29.5")

So far I have only about 100 miles on them but initial impressions, I love it. There is some faint tire noise that I can hear with the windows up and radio off. On the fwy at 65-80mph I can not really hear it with the radio off; very faint. I went with these tires last minute as I was leaning more towards the Terra Grappler G2 or Falken Wildpeak AT3w originally, I do not regret the decision as my main worry was tire noise which turned out to not be an issue for me.

I can not comment on MPG yet but I suspect I will loose 1-2mpg from the added diameter if that. The tire/wheel packages are within 2lbs of each other. The 18" comes in at 68.7lbs and using a 3rd party site for the oem wheel weight, the factory setup seems to be 66.6lbs (which I think might be off as originally I thought the oem wheel was almost 40lbs but the site said 32.6lbs).

It takes a hair more brake pedal to stop and acceleration is a little more tame but ironically I swear the transmission shifts feel better with this larger diameter tire. With the 9-speed the 1st gear still has tons of power obviously but you can notice a slight difference. I think what I am feeling is the larger diameter since this new setup is possibly only 2lbs heavier.

Day 1 took it to the lake and was super impressed with the performance of the tire. I have been on some crazy rocky and sandy roads on the stock 20" setup and was always worried about sidewall damage, it is amazing I never popped one. With the new tires I could immediately feel the traction improvement and I was also no longer afraid of sidewall punctures. I live in NV so a lot of rocky trails or sandy loose gravel type stuff at Lake Mead.

Anyway, I will try to monitor this thread should any questions come up.

-Anthony

WITH Truxxx 2" lift below (cell phone pics) which is 2" front and 1.75" Rear and at the time of purchase was $250 shipped from their site. Labor cost me $350 at a local shop + $100 alignment at Honda w/coupon.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Looks great! Did you do any suspension spacer lift as well or just the wheels and tires? I would imagine the torque vectoring AWD on the 3rd gens does quite well when matched with a tire that can get traction off road, the biggest concern is ground clearance and approach/departure angles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks great! Did you do any suspension spacer lift as well or just the wheels and tires? I would imagine the torque vectoring AWD on the 3rd gens does quite well when matched with a tire that can get traction off road, the biggest concern is ground clearance and approach/departure angles.
Thanks, As pictured it is stock height (+0.5" from tire size but eh, doesn't count). I have the Truxxx 2" lift kit here and I hope to install this month. It is 2" front and 1.75" rear. I did install the Jsport skid plate though as a safety measure especially with such little clearance and it has been tested lol. No dings in it but it has been rubbed by brush, shoveled sand, etc. The 2" lift should do the trick for my favorite trail so I can be a little less worried about hitting.

The AWD has exceeded my expectations. When I got this SUV when my wife got tired of daily driving the large Pilot I was thinking of trading it in for a 4runner or Grand Cherokee but then I found a youtube channel "jondz adventuring" and what he did in his new Passport blew my mind. That was when I adopted the idea of keeping the Pilot and making it mine. I think Honda can steal the title from Subaru for trail fun if they can get the aftermarket really behind it.

That is where the Pilot suffers. BARELY any aftermarket support.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Thanks, As pictured it is stock height (+0.5" from tire size but eh, doesn't count). I have the Truxxx 2" lift kit here and I hope to install this month. It is 2" front and 1.75" rear. I did install the Jsport skid plate though as a safety measure especially with such little clearance and it has been tested lol. No dings in it but it has been rubbed by brush, shoveled sand, etc. The 2" lift should do the trick for my favorite trail so I can be a little less worried about hitting.

The AWD has exceeded my expectations. When I got this SUV when my wife got tired of daily driving the large Pilot I was thinking of trading it in for a 4runner or Grand Cherokee but then I found a youtube channel "jondz adventuring" and what he did in his new Passport blew my mind. That was when I adopted the idea of keeping the Pilot and making it mine. I think Honda can steal the title from Subaru for trail fun if they can get the aftermarket really behind it.

That is where the Pilot suffers. BARELY any aftermarket support.
Definitely keep the posts updated, as the 3rd gen becomes more affordable used more people will look to mod them as you have!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Nice setup! I was thinking of installing a set on our ‘20 EX-L AWD with Black Rhino’s Barstow, 35mm offset and mount some 265/60/18 All terrains(not decided which ones ye). Did you have any rubbing issue on your setup?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice setup! I was thinking of installing a set on our ‘20 EX-L AWD with Black Rhino’s Barstow, 35mm offset and mount some 265/60/18 All terrains(not decided which ones ye). Did you have any rubbing issue on your setup?
Hello Ambo87,
Thanks. I actually did not have any rubbing until I installed the 2" lift kit (not pictured). I only get a small amount of rub when nearing full lock, about 95% travel area I guess. It just BARELY runs so I am not really going to try to cut anything since it is so minimal.

I can tell you I was split on what tire I wanted. I was going to get the Falken wildpeak AT3w but they were going to be 3-4 days and the reason I pushed up the tire and wheel swap was a bent 20" OEM wheel thanks to a decent sized rock in the road. I went back and forth on a few tires and decided "screw it, gonna go all out" and got the ridge grapplers. Totally happy with them. There is some light noise but it does not bother me or my wife at all. Toyo owns Nitto so there is some similarity in case you want something similar but different.

I almost went Black Rhino but I dunno this wheel style jumped out at me. Being cheaper didnt hurt either. I did try to make sure I was under 30lbs for the wheel to help offset the heavier AT tires than the stock 20" ones though.

Good luck on your decision!

·
Registered
19 Posts
That’s awesome! I’m curious if you have to do an alignment and calibration for the AWD(if needed) after the lift?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
That’s awesome! I’m curious if you have to do an alignment and calibration for the AWD(if needed) after the lift?
After the lift I had it aligned. The Truxxx kit does not have built in Camber adjustment like the Traxda kit and there is apparently no OEM camber adjustment. End result was +0.5* camber on the front and the rear was about -0.3* or so. I would have liked 0.0 to -0.5 in the front but eh, +0.5 is not too bad. Of course right before I did the lift I had the timing belt done and asked them to check bushings and such, Honda said all was fine. The shop that did the lift said my front lower control arm bushings are cracking and recommend them soon....wish I knew so I could have done it all at once.

There are camber bolts for the front, as well as adjustable camber bushings for the rear. The only thing is that I do take the Pilot off road enough to have a concern about the quality of the front camber bolts so I am not sure if I will do them or not unless Honda has some and not an aftermarket brand.

The vehicle drives great though. No complaints. Took it on a trail that I had to drive very carefully because of bottoming out and had no bottoming out after the lift. That trail is not too bad when it rains as it seems to flatten it out but once it has been dry a while it gets rutted pretty bad, heck it is called Sand Island for a reason I suppose lol.

I updated the original post to include the lift images as well if you are curious.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Anthony,

I really like what you did with your Pilot. I have a couple questions since I might be doing something similar - total newbie though.
When you replaced your rims and tires, you had mentioned that you did not get any running. Only after lifting did you get some tire rubbing. Why is that? I thought you would get more room after lifting?
My AWD didn’t come with an ATF cooler, would you recommend it for some light off roading?
Lastly, without lifting (and hopefully with a skid plate in place) it should be okay for some light off-roading right?
Thanks!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Anthony,

I really like what you did with your Pilot. I have a couple questions since I might be doing something similar - total newbie though.
When you replaced your rims and tires, you had mentioned that you did not get any running. Only after lifting did you get some tire rubbing. Why is that? I thought you would get more room after lifting?
My AWD didn’t come with an ATF cooler, would you recommend it for some light off roading?
Lastly, without lifting (and hopefully with a skid plate in place) it should be okay for some light off-roading right?
Thanks!
Thanks. Regarding the rubbing, I just think the lift positioned a part of the wheel well that had less clearance closer to the tire. It only rubs near full lock and I notice it only if I am doing a U-Turn or something like that. It is just barely doing it. Since my Pilot has almost 80k miles and that it only does it about 85% of the time, it could even just be my bushings being worn out. The shop that lifted it said my lower control arm bushings are cracking and will need replacement soon. I have to inspect them since Honda just had the car for the timing belt and I asked them to check suspension before I did the lift. Another thing could just be the Nitto Ridge Grapplers push their max diameter a bit taller than other tires of the same size that may not rub, like say Falken AT3W for just an example, who knows I have not seen them side by side in the same size.

I do not think my Touring AWD has the trans cooler either and it is not a concern for me since I am not towing. I have never had any trans temp warning lights at all ever come on which I suspect there is a warning since I have seen diff fluid lights come on a youtubers Passport.

Stock, with skid plate is very capable. Just be mindful of your ground clearance and pick up a set of traction boards should you get stuck somewhere. I personally use the X-Bull ones found on Amazon and thankfully only needed them once just to clear an obstacle. Before the tires I did a back road trail that I could have never imagined the Pilot could do, I really thought I was going to just turn around once it got too hard but the Pilot kept tackling the trail. I probably would not have tried the trail if it was not for my friend having a Ford Ranger FX4 4x4 with mud tires to help if I got stuck. There was one climb we did that he needed to engage 4x4 to do and somehow the Pilot AWD system got me up the hill with 20" street tires.

Check out the youtube channel "JonDZ Adventuring" to see what the Honda Passport can do and remember the Pilot is essentially the same vehicle. His channel made me realize I did not need to trade in my Pilot to get a capable off-road vehicle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I love the set up with the wheels, tires, and lift. Would love to do something similar with my 2019 Pilot. Was wondering how the road noise is with the set up? I also have a 2008 Pilot that I put AT tires on and the road noise is absolutely horrible (unbearable really). Just don't want to have the same outcome on the new Pilot if/when I change the tires.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I also have a 2008 Pilot that I put AT tires on and the road noise is absolutely horrible (unbearable really). Just don't want to have the same outcome on the new Pilot if/when I change the tires.
What brand AT tire did you put on the '08 Pilot? Not having any noise issues to report with YK Geolandar G015 on my other truck which I may install on my Pilot build.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What brand AT tire did you put on the '08 Pilot? Not having any noise issues to report with YK Geolandar G015 on my other truck which I may install on my Pilot build.
I have Firestone Destination A/T tires on the 08. All the reviews that I read on these tires indicated that they were supposed to be pretty quiet. Not in my case.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I have Firestone Destination A/T tires on the 08. All the reviews that I read on these tires indicated that they were supposed to be pretty quiet. Not in my case.
That tire is generally regarded as a quiet AT tire... pretty surprised there.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I love the set up with the wheels, tires, and lift. Would love to do something similar with my 2019 Pilot. Was wondering how the road noise is with the set up? I also have a 2008 Pilot that I put AT tires on and the road noise is absolutely horrible (unbearable really). Just don't want to have the same outcome on the new Pilot if/when I change the tires.
Thanks, so the tires themselves make a slight hum up to about 50-55mph but for sure on the fwy I can barely hear it with the radio off. The noise below hwy speeds is not loud by my standard at all but you know it is there. It sounds nothing like a mud tire but the noise is there.

(Edit: I want to add I run them at 30PSI cold, Nitto recommended 29psi. They warm up to 32-34PSI. The first 15 miles or so I had them at 36psi cold and warmed to 38-40PSI and I think they were a bit more quiet but I did not want to risk cupping the tread or anything funky)

On Vegas windy days the Thule basket makes a lot of noise but when the winds are calm it is not bad at all in case that was a concern at all.

For what I needed this setup is excellent though. I would have never realized the off road potential of the Pilot if it was not for JonDZ Adventures on youtube. I really thought I needed to trade it in for a Jeep Grand Cherokee to do what I wanted but thankfully the vehicle we already owned exceeded my expectations.

Looks great with lift and wheel+tire combo.
Thanks! I am pretty happy with how it came out.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, so the tires themselves make a slight hum up to about 50-55mph but for sure on the fwy I can barely hear it with the radio off. The noise below hwy speeds is not loud by my standard at all but you know it is there. It sounds nothing like a mud tire but the noise is there.

(Edit: I want to add I run them at 30PSI cold, Nitto recommended 29psi. They warm up to 32-34PSI. The first 15 miles or so I had them at 36psi cold and warmed to 38-40PSI and I think they were a bit more quiet but I did not want to risk cupping the tread or anything funky)

On Vegas windy days the Thule basket makes a lot of noise but when the winds are calm it is not bad at all in case that was a concern at all.

For what I needed this setup is excellent though. I would have never realized the off road potential of the Pilot if it was not for JonDZ Adventures on youtube. I really thought I needed to trade it in for a Jeep Grand Cherokee to do what I wanted but thankfully the vehicle we already owned exceeded my expectations.

Thanks! I am pretty happy with how it came out.
Thank for the info. That helps a lot. I was concerned due to the bad experience on my 2008.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts