Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was debating switching my son's 2015 Accord over to full synthetic since his maintenance warning is light is set to 10k and he seems to have trouble remembering to tell me when he's coming up on his 5k oil changes (college students!). Have been using Castrol 5w-20 High Mileage and Fram in both his and my 06 Pilot at 5k intervals. Then I started wondering if fully synthetic might also be Ok for my 06 Pilot (but will stick with oil changes every 5k)? Think he's only at 120K and I'm at 180k miles. Costco has their full synthetic for about $12.50/5qts. as opposed to $27/5qts for Castrol synthetic. Not finding any bad reviews on Kirklands brand but it's also not showing in the top 5 or 10 when comparisons are being made. So two questions... 1) what's your opinion of Kirklands synthetic oil and, 2) should both vehicles be switched over? Would appreciate your opinions.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
217 Posts
someone has to make their oil. no matter what brand you run make sure you get the recommended weight and stick time to your scheduled drain & fill intervals !
edited to preserve drunken nonsense

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I think there are oils made that meet minimum requirements. Then there are oils that exceed.

Reactions: undivide

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sorry! Have more users on here now which means more hands on experience and opinions about it. But links are good too! Prob will switch to synthetic and 10K changes for son's Accord. An older Pilot like mine, not sure if that's a good idea or not. If I stick with Castrol, would the Magnatic be a better option than the High Mileage? Just brought an '05 CRV into the family for my son's girlfriend (future fiancé?) so same question about switching oil types on it and my '06 CRV? Would probably stick with 5k changes for those and the Pilot regardless of whether I stick with Castrol or go with the Kirkland brand.

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
Sorry! Have more users on here now which means more hands on experience and opinions about it. But links are good too! Prob will switch to synthetic and 10K changes for son's Accord. An older Pilot like mine, not sure if that's a good idea or not. If I stick with Castrol, would the Magnatic be a better option than the High Mileage? Just brought an '05 CRV into the family for my son's girlfriend (future fiancé?) so same question about switching oil types on it and my '06 CRV? Would probably stick with 5k changes for those and the Pilot regardless of whether I stick with Castrol or go with the Kirkland brand.
I have 9 vehicles I maintain. I have always pushed my oil changes longer than what manufacturers recommend, ignoring the maintenance minder (MM). Ive done this to keep from going nuts changing oil all the time. To stretch an oil change requires 2 things. Very good oil and a good quality filter. In this quest for long oil change intervals, I began using Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil. I ended using that because I found out that this oil was prone to evaporation. Then someone on the forum (@xGS , bragging rights) introduced me to what I'm using now. Shell Rotella Gas Truck Oil. The Project Farm video won me because I was having to top off oil frequently.
As far as filters go, it seems a larger filter that will meet bypass valve specs for our vehicles is best. I'm currently using Wix 51334XP. I'm doing 8k oil changes atm.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 (not the Extended Performance boil-offs), and the last time I checked, last autumn, local Walmarts were selling Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W-20 5-liter jugs for 50-something bucks. The hell with that, I actually mumbled out loud to myself in the fortunately unpopulated far corner of the store where the automotive section is located, and I picked up another 30-dollar 5-liter jug of Mobil 1.

Fast forward to today when I see they really mean it when they say "rollback," and the Shell Rotella is just CDN $28.97. This may be my first outing after I get my second shot. :D

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 (not the Extended Performance boil-offs), and the last time I checked, last autumn, local Walmarts were selling Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W-20 5-liter jugs for 50-something bucks. The hell with that, I actually mumbled out loud to myself in the fortunately unpopulated far corner of the store where the automotive section is located, as I picked up another 5-liter jug of Mobil 1.

Fast forward to today when I see they really mean it when they say "rollback," and the Shell Rotella is just CDN $28.97. This may be my first outing after I get my second shot. :D

Woo hoo!

·
Registered
2007 Honda Pilot EX 4WD (J35A9)
97 Posts
I've been using Mobil 1 (not the Extended Performance boil-offs), and the last time I checked, last autumn, local Walmarts were selling Shell Rotella Gas Truck 5W-20 5-liter jugs for 50-something bucks. The hell with that, I actually mumbled out loud to myself in the fortunately unpopulated far corner of the store where the automotive section is located, and I picked up another 30-dollar 5-liter jug of Mobil 1.

RGT is free right now at Pep Boys, if youre willing to deal with MIRs. $30 per jug, and $30 rebate:

Home Depot and Walmart even run this down to $15 per jug. Matched with a now completed MIR, I got 2 jugs for $5 each.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
217 Posts
I'm running the regular M1 0w20 non extended variety in the wife's Pilot currently but have also run the Extended Performance variety and the High Mileage version of the Extended Performance. Maybe I never ran the oil long enough to notice a significant decrease in level on the dip stick to confirm any oil evaporating? I've always run the EP variety in my Civic with zero (no) oil loss at all ever in any change done since purchasing new.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
I’ve determined I’ll go with any full synthetic high mileage oil that’s on sale. Currently running Valvoline Maxlife High Mileage full synthetic and a NAPA gold filter. We’ll see what’s cheapest next time I’m due for an oil change.

Clean oil is the most important thing. There’s a lot of marketing that goes into oil....

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
As I say in most oil threads... I go with the standard M1 synthetic until 100k miles, at which point I switch to the high mileage version since it has been lauded on BITOG for the additive package. I always use M1 filters. Both are readily available at the local Wal Mart.

I'm not saying products aren't better than this, but these products have done a good job in my vehicles and I don't see the need to start ordering special filters or searching for special oil.

·
Registered
8,964 Posts
:unsure: that was some strong beer I had last night! meant to say stick TO
Ah, I get it now.
Is that beer the over-the-counter stuff or home-brew?

I'm running the regular M1 0w20 non extended variety in the wife's Pilot currently but have also run the Extended Performance variety and the High Mileage version of the Extended Performance. Maybe I never ran the oil long enough to notice a significant decrease in level on the dip stick to confirm any oil evaporating?
Good for you for checking the oil level.
Some seem to think that the maintenance minder reads the oil level - which it does not - and have gotten a nasty surprise when the oil level drops low enough to trigger the low oil pressure light.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
And I still often use Super Tech Full syn.- they even make a JASO-MA rating one for motorcycles/engined with a wet clutch! I use it in my minty/near racing GSXR1000 too!
I use it most all our vehicles.

I also use Shell Rotella- usually the T6- full syn. in my motorcycle (also JASO-MA rated), and our Pilots sometimes too.

Oh brother, here I am on another oil thread LOL

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
586 Posts
I’ve determined I’ll go with any full synthetic high mileage oil that’s on sale. Currently running Valvoline Maxlife High Mileage full synthetic and a NAPA gold filter. We’ll see what’s cheapest next time I’m due for an oil change.

Clean oil is the most important thing. There’s a lot of marketing that goes into oil....
I think this is the best answer, though for me I don't even care about the "high mileage". Any synthetic that meets spec and is preferably on sale is good enough for our Pilot. To paraphrase what someone once said regarding oil "I'll only use it if it's brown and slippery".

I do think we all tend to over think this stuff. As long as it meets the spec and you are changing it on schedule chances are you'll never see any practical difference between the most expensive Red Line / Royal Purple oil vs the Walmart Super Tech. They'll both help the engine last a <really> long time.

Reactions: aggrex
1 - 20 of 104 Posts