·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone test drive a Kia Sorento?

·
Registered
469 Posts
I have a friend who just bought one. I was impressed by the quality for the price. Fit and finish was comparable to the Pilot for over $10,000 less!!! But, it didn't have a third seat...

·
Registered
311 Posts
I held off on my purchase decision pending the introduction of the Sorento. Tried out a top of the line model and really liked it except for the lack of that 3rd row seat/extra storage. But that didn't stop me from trying to negotiate a deal that abruptly ended when the sales manager told me it was a no dicker - sticker deal - just a tad over 26K (actually 26882 with dealer add ons). We went l/4 mile down the street where my wife drove a Pilot (I had previously driven) and abruptly brought an end to the indecision. Notice how I started this post. lol About three weeks later and the last day of the month, the Kia salesperson called me at 5PM and wanted to know if I was still in the market for a new vehicle. I responded by asking him why (a question rather than an answer just like a car salesperson). He indicated the dealership needed to sell two more Kia units by close of business that evening and would now sell me the unit I drove for 25K. I said ya, right. If you can do that tonight you can also do it tomorrow. He denied that stating the dealership wanted to qualify for some kind of a manufacturer incentive and they needed the two additional units to qualify. I then told him they were about two weeks late and I had a Honda Pilot in the barn. Now, based on the MSRP of that vehicle and an EX-L there is about a 5K difference plus the cost of a moon-roof (that comes standard on the upgraded Sorento) so lets say the price difference is about 6K. I think I could probably still buy the Sorento for 25K and now could get the Pilot for 30K so still only about a 5K difference. I know there are a few more items standard on the Sorrento EX like the day/night mirror, etc. but I think it would be difficult to get up to a 6K price difference between a comparable equipped Pilot and Sorento.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Is Kia a American company?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is it just me ... or does the Sorento look a heck of alot like a Lexus RX 300?

Lexus RX 300

Kia Sorento

No wonder Lexus is making some changes to the RX for 2004 ...

·
Registered
423 Posts
It sure does resemble the Lexus.
I think it also has a very long warranty. I have been told by people in the car business that if certain brand of cars have extra long warranties, there is a reason. That being they have a lot of repairs and the longer warranty is needed to sell them.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Man!! If Crysler sued Hummer over the use of their front grille style; Lexus, would have a field day. Comeon, you almost only have to siwtch plate ids!

·
Registered
991 Posts
Those alloy wheels look like the pilots? very close.

·
Registered
80 Posts
The Kia definately rips off the Lexus, but it has nowhere near the cache.....in other words, it doesn't bother me that much. Lexus ripped on Mercedes in their early years, and the Totyota Tundra rips off the Ford F150. Maybe Toyota/Lexus is just getting it's due diligence.

Either way, the Kia is the best looking SUV under $25K.....good for them. I'd buy it over a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo.

Dallas

·
Registered
276 Posts
I never was a big fan of that Lexus RX 300. IMHO, in that picture I think the Kia looks better.

They definitely copied off Lexus and a few other competitors....and they actually turned out with a pretty nice product. And take Ford for example....they copy the Dodge Ram big-rig front end styling and they double their truck sales. The auto business is all about one-upping the competition. I think Kia has now made some people stand up and notice.

Would I buy a Kia? No. At least not until I had proof in hand that they are just as good quality-wise as everyone else.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I test drove the Sorrento.

The first thing my wife noticed is that it did not have a new car smell. She said she has noticed this about several Kia's. (She test drove a Sportage before buying her Civic EX.)

The next thing I noticed is that it is short on head room. I am under 6ft and hit my head getting into the door. That is unacceptable. The front seat can't go down much either. It has to go back to allow for more head room.

The passenger side door also made a different closing noise than the driver's side door. That sounded as if something was wrong already.

The ride? It was not bad. The steering wheel felt a bit loose. The ride was better in the CR-V and RAV4.

The dealer tried to play up the Sorrento too! We just wanted to test drive and see what it was like. The owner ( I live in a small town) said that the Sorrento would challenge for market share in the SUV market and that they would not negotiate much for price.

It has been 4 weeks since going to the lot, but I have not seen one unit moved off of the lot yet.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I test drove the Sorrento.

The first thing my wife noticed is that it did not have a new car smell. She said she has noticed this about several Kia's. (She test drove a Sportage before buying her Civic EX.)

The next thing I noticed is that it is short on head room. I am under 6ft and hit my head getting into the door. That is unacceptable. The front seat can't go down much either. It has to go back to allow for more head room.

The passenger side door also made a different closing noise than the driver's side door. That sounded as if something was wrong already.

The ride? It was not bad. The steering wheel felt a bit loose. The ride was better in the CR-V and RAV4.

The dealer tried to play up the Sorrento too! We just wanted to test drive and see what it was like. The owner ( I live in a small town) said that the Sorrento would challenge for market share in the SUV market and that they would not negotiate much for price.

It has been 4 weeks since going to the lot, but I have not seen one unit moved off of the lot yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Check out Business Week (received December 9, 2002). The Honda Pilot was listed as one of the Top Products introduced in 2002. I guess we could have told them that.

JHB

QUOTE]Originally posted by jonjon
Anyone test drive a Kia Sorento? [/QUOTE]

·
Registered
8 Posts
I "thought" about the Sorento but said no. I need 3 rows. Further, we'll see what quality Kia gets from consumer reports. there's no dealer in town for kia and I don't like travelling for service ( had a vw and out of town dealer/service). All in all, there's no comparison between Sorento and Pilot.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The Kia Sorento is a really nice SUV for the price. The lack of a third row seat and a boisterous Pilot loving wife is the only reason I don't have one in my driveway now. Surprisingly however, I haven't seen any on the road here in the Washington, DC area. I thought for the price, they would be a dime a dozen.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Test RIDE

Friend of mine bought an EX for 26K and took me out for a short spin and here are my insights: Seats felt mucho HARD, interior is SMALL and LOW; not much storage room and fair amount of road noise!!! Bigest knock on them so far is: Bad gas mileage; the usual weak tranny complaints (like most SUV's) Edmunds ran a cost comparison over 5 years and the Pilot came out a little ahead, especially on RESALE VALUES!!!! I like the looks and it has plenty of power and a good 4 wheel system but SSSMMMMAAAALLLL!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts