Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's recommended that the Pilot keys (with their integrated immobilizer chip) be carried separately from other keys and metal keyrings to prevent damage to the key's electronic circuit. (Read it in the manual somewhere)

Frankly, I have enough trouble keeping track of one set of keys much less two! ;)

Has anyone had any issues with their immobilizer keys not starting the vehicle or zonking out all together? :p

It would be nice if Honda came out with some sort of universal Honda remote key fob that can be programmed with all Hondas. With our Civic and now the Pilot my jumble of keys and key fobs is HUGE.

I believe a German carmaker makes a keyfob with an integrated key that kind of pops out of the keyfob similar to a switchblade knife.

Maybe someday Honda??? :27: :27: :27: :27: :27:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
509 Posts
I'm not sure if its the same exact technology or not, but I haven't had any problems with the immobilizer key on my '98 Accord EX-V6. Its always been together with at least 3 or 4 other keys. Starts the first time, every time - like a charm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
240 Posts
Cheesehead said:

I believe a German carmaker makes a keyfob with an integrated key that kind of pops out of the keyfob similar to a switchblade knife.
VW. . .;) :p

I did not know this. But I'll tell you that Honda has the wackiest stuff in their owner's manual.

For my S2000, it states to NEVER lower the convertible top with the engine running.:rolleyes: :confused: :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
I've had immobilizer keys on three vehicles now.
I've never had a problem.
I believe the concern is that if you had two or more keys on the same key ring there is a remote possibility that one of the other codes (if activated) could confuse the system and not allow the engine to start.
Worst case as I see it is if you have trouble then don't keep them on the same ring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Read it again

I think the issue is that if two imobilizer keys are near each other the car may not be able to read the code, and therefore may refuse to start.
There is no way one key could damage the other, nor the imobiizer system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
373 Posts
Re: Read it again

N_Jay said:
I think the issue is that if two imobilizer keys are near each other the car may not be able to read the code, and therefore may refuse to start.
There is no way one key could damage the other, nor the imobiizer system.
Read what again?
Where did I say anything could be damaged?

The only issue is that the vehicle won't start.
The key's transponder MUST be activated for it to send it's code to the ignition controller (there's no battery).
Here's a link to some good transponder information.
http://www.lock.com/Tran.html
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6 Posts
Spare Transponder Keys

Has anyone found a place to get inexpensive keys made? Dealers are wanting a fortune to make spare keys, and local locksmiths are unable to make them.

I just wanted to make a couple of spares for each of my 3 hondas. The Pilot and '03 Accord have the new key type requiring a special cutting machine. I'd like to put my original keys away and drive using the spares. However, I do not want to pay $150 for 2 spares each x 3 Hondas!

If anyone is aware of a a place that would make honda keys for less, please post a reply.

Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,190 Posts
Steve_Moye: Unfortunately, I exhausted the same search many moons ago and had to give in and go to my local Honda dealer to get spare keys made for an arm and a leg (the cost of the key, plus the labor). I doubt very seriously that you will be able to get an aftermarket key made because in addition to getting the key cut, you will need to have the Pilot re-programmed to accept the newly made key with it's new (whatever) code.

Actually, you will need all your keys with you -- what happened to me, I had my key and the spare key with me and the "dude" re-programmed my Pilot's computer -- the next day when the wife tried to start the Pilot: no go. It wouldn't recognize her key. Had to take ALL the keys back for more computer brainwashing... :3: :3: :3:
 

·
Admin Du Jour ®
Joined
·
989 Posts
Maybe Tim can cut 'em if you give him the keycode. Of course, they're gonna be more than the $1 hardware store variety b/c of the transponder (which you'll have to program when you get them).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,580 Posts
Cheesehead said:
...It would be nice if Honda came out with some sort of universal Honda remote key fob that can be programmed with all Hondas. With our Civic and now the Pilot my jumble of keys and key fobs is HUGE.

I believe a German carmaker makes a keyfob with an integrated key that kind of pops out of the keyfob similar to a switchblade knife.
The new Accord does have a key-fob combo which eliminates one thing on your key ring.
Mercedes has a retractable key, but that's just more moving parts to worry about.
I like that darn Accord key...wonder if the works with the Pilot...:drool:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
15,140 Posts
Re: Re: Keys

tim.s said:
The new Accord does have a key-fob combo which eliminates one thing on your key ring.
Mercedes has a retractable key, but that's just more moving parts to worry about.
I like that darn Accord key...wonder if the works with the Pilot...:drool:
I think not, as I do know people who have coded the new Accord key to work with the new CR-V, and I know that the CR-V and Pilot remotes will not work each other (already tried that), so logic says the Accord remote is not Pilot compatable.

As a not the chip in the Accord key can not be programmed into the CR-V so you need to "steal" the chip from a CR-V key.

Maybe next year we will get a Pilot remote key, or an Odyssey or MDX key. Then some one can try and see if it programs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
311 Posts
I like the look of that combo key/fob and the fact that it alleviates the need to have a key chain. However, I would think placement of those fob buttons on the key would cause them to be unintentionally depressed, especially when turning the key after it is inserted into the ignition.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top