Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK all here it is....

My wife has locked her keys inside the Pilot 4 time now, since we purchased it in October.

It is pretty easy to do, just leave your headlights on and get distracted getting out of the truck. Or just close the door and about thirty seconds later... Pop all locked up.

According to my dealer and my user's manual this "auto-lock" is a feature of the security system and cannot be disabled. Also, you cannot pull a fuse to disable it.

My dealer has stated that a keypad is available for about $340 US installed. This keypad is supposed to be a factory accessory, but I can not find it on the Honda website.

Has anyone had one installed on a Pilot?

Does anyone have a web link that shows this accessory?

Thanks

Jeff

03 EX-L with DVD Starlight Silver

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
jkiebler1 said:
...Or just close the door and about thirty seconds later... Pop all locked up.

According to my dealer and my user's manual this "auto-lock" is a feature of the security system and cannot be disabled. Also, you cannot pull a fuse to disable it.
Don't know about the keypad, but the doors should only auto-lock if you unlock remotely and then don't open a door within 30 seconds. But then you'd either have to still be in the car or never entered in the first place. Maybe I'm missing something.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mainly the "autolock" has occurred when the lights were left on. Three of the four times it was raining and she had the light on. Hopped out, got distracted and left her keys on the front seat.

When the Pilot automatically turns off the lights, it locks the doors and arms the alarm.

Mainly this is a big problem because we both are used to having a keypad entry. Both my 95 Explorer Eddie Bauer and my 92 SHO have keypads.....

I also do not like the fact that it relocks within the thirty or less seconds after unlocking it. This has burned me on a couple of occasions.

I believe that this is a feature that should be under owner control (i.e. that I can disable it).

Regards

Jeff

·
Registered
17 Posts
Let us know if you find a good keypad option. My wife, like yours had an Explorer and loved the keypad. She hasn't locked the keys in the car, but I know it is just a matter of time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks I will let the board know....

But according to my dealer this keypad is a Honda Accessory...

Anybody have any information on it?

Jeff

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've never heard of it and I've looked into every accessory. I'd be interested if you find anything.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
I would be interested too. Had an entry keypad in my 89 Nissan Maxima and it was great. Hide a key in the interior and open the doors with the keypad. Even better, once the code was entered, you could open the trunk with one key or hold another key and the power windows (and sunroof in this case) would open to help ventilate the interior.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Tap Magic

Take a look at this. Same result as keypad but totally disguised.

edit: updated link

Tap Magic

·
Registered
747 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Re: auto lock can be disabled

timchen said:
On Honda OEM remote, there are 3 settings: manual, auto arm and auto lock. I installed mine myself, that's why I know. Check this installation manual and you can find where. Just set it to auto arm instead.
Timchen - It appears you installed your security system in an LX. Do you know if the system that is factory installed in the EX is the same? Does it have the same switch to change settings, and does it have the ability to "hear" the breaking glass? I didn't think the EX security system had the breaking glass function. Thanks for posting the link to the instructions.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Re: Re: auto lock can be disabled

foxhallow said:

Timchen - It appears you installed your security system in an LX. Do you know if the system that is factory installed in the EX is the same? Does it have the same switch to change settings, and does it have the ability to "hear" the breaking glass? I didn't think the EX security system had the breaking glass function. Thanks for posting the link to the instructions.

You can take a look, no need to pry any panel.
It's located under steering wheel pole close to door side. the switch also facing door. A small mirror and flash light maybe handy when check it.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Re: Tap Magic

sfhondapilot said:
Take a look at this. Same result as keypad but totally disguised.

http://www.autotechs.com/items/item299.htm
When I saw this I almost fell out of my seat. Can you imagine knocking on your windows? :rolleyes: I mean hey if it actually worked then I guess it's not such a bad thing, but I don't think a $75 knock sensor is going to be the answer. Thanks for the find sfhondapilot. I am not knocking (pun intended) your listing, I actually never knew they had something like this. I just started thinking what if it started thundering (living in S. Florida that is what I always hear) and all of a sudden your doors are unlocked. I know that probably would not happen since the thunder would have to get the sequence right, but also think about the fact that the alarm would not be working either since you need to arm it from outside the vehicle. Well you are still stuck with your keys in hand.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Re: Re: Tap Magic

FLPilot said:

<snip>
I just started thinking what if it started thundering (living in S. Florida that is what I always hear) and all of a sudden your doors are unlocked. I know that probably would not happen since the thunder would have to get the sequence right, but also think about the fact that the alarm would not be working either since you need to arm it from outside the vehicle. Well you are still stuck with your keys in hand.
An even more likely scenario would be if you routinely parked in the same area. It wouldn't take too many times for someone to catch on to what you were doing and what the pattern of knocks was to unlock your doors. Still probably would not happen but once that person got you 'PIN' they could be inside your vehicle in no time with no sign of a break in. The regular keypad is still not the safest alternative as a more sneaky thief could also steal that code. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi all

Thanks for all of your replies, sorry I haven't been able to get back to the board.

Thanks for all of the information

The EX unit seems to be different from the OEM unit that timchen added to his LX. I looked under the dash for the unit, but did not find the control unit. I did a pretty thorough search using a mirror and a flashlight. Does anybody know the location on an EX model?

I am still interested in getting a keypad if one exists. Anybody have any ideas?

Jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts