Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm getting an error message "Keyless Start System Problem" that comes and goes every few days. The car starts fine, the doors unlock, and the remote start works fine. I changed the battery in the remote too. Nothing seems wrong except for the error message. (see attached photo)

Anyone have experience with this error and what is cost to get it fixed?

I'm thinking of just living with the error as long as I can. While risky, at least I will know if something really is wrong or its just a grumpy sensor.

I have a 2016 Pilot EX-L AWD with 53K miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
322 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I do have a code reader, its clean, no codes are found.
My sedan(not honda) has a "Service Transmission" that nobody can trace so I know the feeling... very annoying but lease is almost done and will be someone else's headache soon.:)

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
14 Posts
My 2016 Touring had the same issue. Error would come and go. Everything would continue to work as normal EXCEPT the car would no longer lock automatically when I walked away from it. Resetting the code worked for a couple days before the error would pop back up. Once the error came back, the auto lock would stop working regardless of whether the error was showing or not.

The dealership finally replaced a part in the start batting that fixed the issue. I can find the paperwork to get the exact part, but all I know off the top of my head is that they said it was an expensive repair but it was covered by my extended warranty thankfully.

·
Registered
67 Posts
My 2016 Touring had the same issue. Error would come and go. Everything would continue to work as normal EXCEPT the car would no longer lock automatically when I walked away from it. Resetting the code worked for a couple days before the error would pop back up. Once the error came back, the auto lock would stop working regardless of whether the error was showing or not.

The dealership finally replaced a part in the start batting that fixed the issue. I can find the paperwork to get the exact part, but all I know off the top of my head is that they said it was an expensive repair but it was covered by my extended warranty thankfully.
My car started to show the same thing as yours did, come back every couple of weeks, walk away lock no longer works for me, but other features seem to be fine. Please let us know which part needs to be changed. Thank you.

Honda should recall this part as I know a lot of people are having the same issue. This issue showed after right after my warranty ended, Honda was doing some serious calculation when they built the car!

·
Registered
14 Posts

My car started to show the same thing as yours did, come back every couple of weeks, walk away lock no longer works for me, but other features seem to be fine. Please let us know which part needs to be changed. Thank you.

Honda should recall this part as I know a lot of people are having the same issue. This issue showed after right after my warranty ended, Honda was doing some serious calculation when they built the car!
My invoice says “special order part, replace start/stop switch for code B12C5 diagnosed at last visit. FP Number 35881-TG7-702.”

As I said, it fixed the problem! The dealership had said that if it didn’t fix the problem, there was another part that they would replace. However everything worked fine after they replaced the first part.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I should also note that the dealership was expecting to have to replace two parts based on the error code, I believe the second one being very expensive. Or maybe labor intensive. But regardless, my issue was fixed with only needing one part.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys I’m having this issue with my car as well, I wish I saw this thread before I decided to keep my car. My lease was up 03/2019 but reached my mileage in 10/2018 so I purchased it. Since December I’ve been having this “keyless start system problem” show up in my car. It comes and goes and notice it more when it cold or raining. I wish I couldn’t find an answer to what is causing this because it’s stressing me out and I don’t want to end up stranded somewhere. I called the dealer and because I reached my mileage the warranty no longer applies and it’s almost $200 to only LOOK at my vehicle to see what’s wrong. Anyone have any luck with this issue?!oh and my car has 38,000 miles if that makes a difference...I’ve seen posts that this issue has come up after 36k

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had the same Keyless Start System Problem. Tried changing remote battery, then later remembered that t hff e start is tied to braking system. Change breaking fluid with new using a turkey baster.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm getting an error message "Keyless Start System Problem" that comes and goes every few days. The car starts fine, the doors unlock, and the remote start works fine. I changed the battery in the remote too. Nothing seems wrong except for the error message. (see attached photo)

Anyone have experience with this error and what is cost to get it fixed?

I'm thinking of just living with the error as long as I can. While risky, at least I will know if something really is wrong or its just a grumpy sensor.

I have a 2016 Pilot EX-L AWD with 53K miles.
I have same problem, I buy the push buttom at wholesalehondaparts.com part No:
35881-TG7-702 Switch Assembly, Engine Start & Stop, problem solve 😁

·
Registered
3 Posts
Does anyone have the replacement instructions for the push button start?
1. Remove the cover on the left side of the steering wheel (attached with straples)
2. Remove the cover under the steering wheel. Pull (attached with straples) and the switch connectors attached
3. remove the screw that is next to the air control cover and pull.
Now you can replace the push button

·
Registered
8 Posts
1. Remove the cover on the left side of the steering wheel (attached with straples)
2. Remove the cover under the steering wheel. Pull (attached with straples) and the switch connectors attached
3. remove the screw that is next to the air control cover and pull.
Now you can replace the push button
Thanks

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was able to fix the KEYLESS START SYSTEM PROBLEM by replacing p/n 35881-TG7-702. It only cost $71 including shipping.

I made a video in case you need instructions on how to perform this fix. Youtube link here:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts