Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2016 pilot with 50k miles and keyless start system error just appeared. This forum and others are reporting multiple complaints and the service repair expert at my dealership said he is seeing a lot of these on 2016 models. No recall though. Not covered under warranty because of mileage but car is less than 3 years old. Please report this if you are receiving this error message so it can be recalled. Website is nhtsa under vehicle complaints but this is my first post so I can’t insert a link.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Had that error pop up a few times. Changed the, over 4 year old, battery and those in the key fobs. Have not seen the error since.
'16 Touring with 54k miles.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. My battery still registers a good charge on my meter and the car starts quickly, but I will change it out if the error pops up again. Changing the batteries in the FOB didn’t have any effect on my error.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Yeah my battery had a great charge and never let me down. But if I've learned one thing from these forums it's that many of those electrical anomalies tie in to the battery. It either works or you are stuck somewhere with an error. I didn't want that scenario so I got ahead of it. Smooth sailing.
My battery had a build date of May 2015. It was time.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
2016 pilot with 50k miles and keyless start system error just appeared.
60K and just happened to our 2016 EXL. So glad we purchased 8 year 110K extended warranty.

Also, as soon as we had that fixed we got an engine light error with Engine Emission warning. Turned out a whole bunch of issues with the fuel pump, line, etc.

All said and done, we had over $1700 of repairs in one month. Amongst this, our Warranty has now paid for itself and saved us an additional $1600.

Honda quality is definitely not the same, then again these vehicles are far more complex than my mid 90s and mid 2000s vehicles.

If you plan to keep any vehicle beyond their standard warranties, extended warranties will pay for themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
2016 pilot with 50k miles and keyless start system error just appeared. This forum and others are reporting multiple complaints and the service repair expert at my dealership said he is seeing a lot of these on 2016 models. No recall though. Not covered under warranty because of mileage but car is less than 3 years old. Please report this if you are receiving this error message so it can be recalled. Website is nhtsa under vehicle complaints but this is my first post so I can’t insert a link.
Yes, I've got a 2016 Pilot and started to see the same issue "KEYLESS START SYSTEM PROBLEM". But as with any INTERMITTENT issue, Im not going to hand it to a mechanic to TRY expensive repairs not knowing the true root-cause (and also how would I know when its finally FIXED?) .

Starting still works, however. Replaced battery in fob twice and also my wife's fob. Still having the error pop up every third time I'm driving.

AND: Keyless feature in settings: "WALK-AWAY AUTO LOCK" doesn't work anymore and is NOT INTERMITTENT! (this is a safety issue as I've become used to this feature and now have to remember to lock my doors manually (w/ fob)

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
408 Posts
Just had the keyless start error on my 2016 EXL-NAV and replaced the battery in the remote. Went out the next morning and remote started the car, then pressed the brake and the start stop button to keep the car running and then stopped the engine with the brake pedal pressed. The error is now gone for now and everything seems OK. Hopefully I will not have to replace the start/stop switch on a vehicle with only 82k kilometers but time will tell. The car started and drove OK while this error message was displayed but was definately a nuisance. I guess I am from the old school cause I still prefer the old key ignition system and less electronic gadgetry.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I replaced the car battery and still had the error code intermittently so I ignored it for a few weeks and finally ordered the start/stop button. It was a five minute replacement and solved the problem for $62. I was told that the button has two switches so it will still start if one is failing, but the error message appears.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts