Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a 2004 Pilot and for around the last week, it has been hard to get the key to go into the ignition. Last night, it took a while to get the key in and we were getting concerned about getting stranded. Is there any easy fix or do we need to get the car into the service center asap? Any idea how much is costs to fix the ignition so the key goes in?

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,181 Posts
If the key does not go in at all, jiggle the steering wheel while you try to insert it.

If the key feels like it’s sticking as you insert it, you can try cleaning out the lock cylinder. Get some Triflow Superior lubricant (or equivalent lubricant which repels dirt particles) then place some on the length of the key. Insert and remove the key from the ignition. Wipe the grime off the key. Repeat until the key comes out clean. Then do the same on the other side of the key.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
What he said. ^^^^

Otherwise, short of replacing the whole ignition doohickey (pardon the technical term), it can be salvaged by removing bad wafers, for a lot less hassle and expense. It's still a pretty tricky maneuver, though, but there's a famous and experienced guru on this forum who can guide you through it.

Or even just removing them all. 😳

·
Registered
2005 Honda Pilot, 194,000 miles
345 Posts
Powdered Graphite lubricants work wonders for sticky cylinders after you clean them as well. I got mine from a local parts store.

Attachments

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,871 Posts
If all else fails, take it to a locksmith. You may need the cylinder repined or the pin sleeves cleaned out.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
I used to use graphite, and honestly I didn't have problems when I did, but I read over the long term they actually erode and/or gunk up, so I switched to silicone lubricant spray, and that's worked out well in recent years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We tried the spray and it did not help. I ended up taking the car in because I was afraid of getting stranded after I had a hard time getting the key in, late at night, in a parking garage. $800 later, they fixed the ignition and made two new keys.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,181 Posts
What was the breakdown of the bill?
What part(s) did they replace?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They removed and replaced the ignition lock cylinder and performed rekey programming of 2 new master keys. The lock cylinder was $267, keys almost $60/each, and labor was $441 (seemed high but they kept my car for a day and a half).

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,871 Posts
Glad you got it fixed.

If you ever have this problem again, I would suggest you take the vehicle to a good lock smith. They would be much cheaper than the dealer. In my old profession I used to get vehicles rekeyed all the time. The didn't replace the cylinder just repined it to the old keys or cut new keys for the pins.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts