Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I need a new key, remote and all for my 2006 Honda Pilot. What is the best way to get this done without going to a dealership and get a new remote and transmitter? And what's the deal with the little black transponder thing inside the keys, does that need separate programming too? On the only working remote I have, the lock button doesn't work. Will that affect the programming process?

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Here's how I did it. It should help, whether you get a regular key or a flip key.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If I don't want to bother opening up my current key to get the transponder out, can I buy one with all the parts in it and just have it cut and programmed?

·
Registered
602 Posts
If I don't want to bother opening up my current key to get the transponder out, can I buy one with all the parts in it and just have it cut and programmed?
Yes. But beware of cheap aftermarket keys. The transponder they use often does not work with the security system, and you are left with a kay thats only good for doors. Also beware of cheap "flip" key conversions. We used these for a while, but they hold the transponder just a couple mm farther out and sometimes the transponder chip isnt recognized and we get a security crank-no-start. Ours all fell apart after a year of use, burned through two of them and finally went back to the factory key.

I imagine that there are locksmiths that can program the Honda's by now, but when we needed a new key we had to go to the dealer, and they want all yours keys present when the reprogram the security chips. I bought some new but low cost aftermarket transponder controllers on eBay, and none of them worked, the dealer was unable to get them to program. I ended up finding some used OEM ones.

Ours always failed right here, where they use a roll pin, the base metal actually fatigued and fixing was next to impossible:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts