Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did you all receive a "key number plate" with your keys? I didn't get that!!! :3: :3: :3:

Any idea why???:confused:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Go back to your dealer

You should have received the key number plate on the key ring that came with your car keys from the dealership. If not, I'd go back and ask the dealer to have a plate prepared and sent to you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My plate was a paper tag...

I guess things are tough all over.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: My plate was a paper tag...

Rumlmkt said:
I guess things are tough all over.
Rumlmkt: Howdy "down-355" neighbor...!!! Which dealer did you get you Pilot from? I am very surprised that your plate is a piece of paper (tag) -- are you sure that the piece of paper was not the dealer's internal stock number thingy? I really think that you should've gotten the small metal tag with your new car keys...!!! :4: :17:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Small Metal Tag??

What's that you say? I should have gotten a small metal tag when I bought my Pilot? What does it look like? What is it for? Why do I need it? I'm so corn-fused. Please, please can't someone help me??

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Re: Small Metal Tag??

smurray said:
What's that you say? I should have gotten a small metal tag when I bought my Pilot? What does it look like? What is it for? Why do I need it? I'm so corn-fused. Please, please can't someone help me??

Thanks so much!

Actually, mine was a small plastic tag with bar coding on it. Here's a picture.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Sorry, image didn't attach to first reply.

Attachments

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: Small Metal Tag??

smurray said:

Thanks so much!
smurray: sfhondapilot posted a good picture of it! I guess I am used to the metal ones that came with my previous cars... Anyway, the tag contains a "number" that you will need to use (provide to Honda) if you lose your keys, or need new ones made... .:)

Attachments

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hey, thanks a lot guys (and/or girls). This site is great for info (and laughs kemo). I bought my Pilot in Ontario, CA but live in San Diego. Fortunately I'll be up that way next weekend for the California 500 Nascar race next weekend. Guess I'll have to stop by my dealer and pick up the number plate.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Calling the ($&#Q_#($ dealer first thing tomorrow morning!:3: :3:

I'm a little worried ........ what if somebody else got my plate? Will they be able to get a key from Honda??? :13: :13:

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
xyz said:

I'm a little worried ........ what if somebody else got my plate? Will they be able to get a key from Honda??? :13: :13:
Probably shouldn't be a problem. There isn't any way to tell from the key number plate which vehicle it's for. In fact, there isn't any way I can be sure that the key number plate I have is truly for my car. Won't know until I need to have one of the $80 keys made from the key number plate.

Then, I might really be :3: :3: :3:

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
xyz said:
Calling the ($&#Q_#($ dealer first thing tomorrow morning!:3: :3:

Let's play hypothetical for a moment... spoze I have your key number plate and I was able to get a duplicate key made. If I could find out where you live, I would probably be able to get into your Pilot with the key by unlocking the door, but I wouldn't be able to start it since the Pilot would need to be re-programmed -- happened to me when I had a couple of spares made (for mega bucks, too, but that's a story for another day) and the tech had to re-program the Pilot's computer (or whatever module/chip it was).

When I got my spare keys made, I didn't need my key number plate because they still recognized me (how could they forget a man wearing a mask?), but I would hope there is some sort of checks/balances in place...

P.S. Dag, I just realized that sfhondapilot and smurray are all on the west coast where it's only 10pm Friday night whereas I'm on Saturday time... :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys, thanx for the info!

Called the dealer this morning. At first he said I don't have to have it and they can find out the key code from my VIN. I said everybody else had it how come I didn't. He said he could give me the "code" and asked me to call back on Monday. I said it should be something with bar codes on it. He said there's no such thing.

So - I understand I don't need it unless I lose a key, and I guess they can find out the "key code" from my VIN. NEVERTHELESS, that key number plate IS somewhere SHOULD belong to me.:3: :3: :3:

Think I'm gonna call the manager and find out what's going on. What I want to know is how many of you do NOT have that plate?

Can't wait to fill out the suevey!!!:28:

·
Registered
461 Posts
I have it. My dealer emphasized how important it was to keep that in a safe place. Said if we ever needed another key, to take that, along with all the remaining keys to a dealer. Said it very important and not to lose it.

·
Registered
415 Posts
my3kids said:
I have it. My dealer emphasized how important it was to keep that in a safe place. Said if we ever needed another key, to take that, along with all the remaining keys to a dealer. Said it very important and not to lose it.
Same here, they (dealer) could not stress enough how important it is to have the tag (metal or plastic) when you come in for a spare key remake. I think it is just less work for them if the customer is carrying the tag with them, otherwise they could accomodate you with a little research on their part.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts