Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My key fob is cracked and falling apart. I have seen a few different threads about using the Acura flip key fobs or something however all of the eBay links that people used no longer exist. I am wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge of this working? My dealership in Atlanta is in incredible rip off and they won't cut a key unless it was purchased there. I'd prefer a situation where I can take apart my current key and just use all of the internal parts. Any suggestions and first hand knowledge is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,264 Posts

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Once you go flip, you won't go back.

Program 2005 Pilot Key . That's how I went about it.

I did it again for my second fob. Very happy.

For my first one, which works fine to this day, I went with this model, which I later discovered allows you to open it up just where the remote electronics are to change the battery without having to completely separate the two halves and then struggle to reassemble the spring mechanism.

For the second one, I went with this model because the area you attach your key ring is smaller and just in the middle, rather than the entire width of the fob like the first one, so it makes just enough of a difference so that my other attached dangling keys don't hit my knee, which had been driving me nuts (well, a little) since day one. I cursed Honda for placing the ignition switch too low on the steering column. I know, first world problems, but now that issue is solved.

Here are some more updated links:

DSP Flip Remote Key Shell fit for Refit HONDA Flip Key Case Fob 2 BTN + Panic | eBay

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Once you go flip, you won't go back.

Program 2005 Pilot Key . That's how I went about it.

I did it again for my second fob. Very happy.

For my first one, which works fine to this day, I went with this model, which I later discovered allows you to open it up just where the remote electronics are to change the battery without having to completely separate the two halves and then struggle to reassemble the spring mechanism.

For the second one, I went with this model because the area you attach your key ring is smaller and just in the middle, rather than the entire width of the fob like the first one, so it makes just enough of a difference so that my other attached dangling keys don't hit my knee, which had been driving me nuts (well, a little) since day one. I cursed Honda for placing the ignition switch too low on the steering column. I know, first world problems, but now that issue is solved.

Here are some more updated links:

DSP Flip Remote Key Shell fit for Refit HONDA Flip Key Case Fob 2 BTN + Panic | eBay

Wow this is super helpful! So I know when I change the battery, the buttons and battery are all in a little case. So I would just transfer that to the new fob, and then get the key cut? There seems to be several different variants of these keys and I'd like to be 100% sure before I buy anything.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Don't forget you also have to transfer the immobilizer chip, as I mentioned in my first link above:

The door lock fob electronics are easily transferred, but the immobilizer chip is a little tricky to dig out and transfer without damaging, so do it carefully, or better yet have it done by a professional locksmith you'll have to take it to anyway to get the key cut. Call ahead and find one that does these types of car keys, because not a lot of them do. That was actually the most expensive part, getting the key cut, for $40.
Pro tip: Use sticky tack or even hot glue to secure the immobilizer chip in the new key near the hilt so it doesn't fall out of place inside and prevent the Pilot from starting.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Found this.
Cool idea.
If your talking about cracks in the plastic transponder then I would think you could go to Amazon and buy the empty replacement transponder case with blank key as I did on my caddy SRX. I checked my 2010 Honda Pilot and it is similar. You simply open up your transponder as you would to change the battery. Then remove the piece of plastic that is cracked and use either the front or back side of the new blank case. You use your original key and electronics as you can easily swap them to the new case if you have to as they do when they make them in the factory assembly line. My cost was $9.00. Blank key is not used, no key cutting involved.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My key fob is cracked and falling apart. I have seen a few different threads about using the Acura flip key fobs or something however all of the eBay links that people used no longer exist. I am wondering if anyone has first hand knowledge of this working? My dealership in Atlanta is in incredible rip off and they won't cut a key unless it was purchased there. I'd prefer a situation where I can take apart my current key and just use all of the internal parts. Any suggestions and first hand knowledge is greatly appreciated. Thanks!
My son had the same problem with the key fob for his 2006 CRV, would not stay together. I purchased a Horande Keyless Entry Key Fob Case Shell off of Amazon for less than $8. Link is as follows:
"https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N1BD6RR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"
This allowed me to take take the already cut key out of the old case along with the electronics module and chip and insert them into a brand new case. The only issues I had was retrieving the chip out of the cold case without cracking it. Had to silicone it into the new case since it doesn't actually have a holder for it. On the key itself I had to do a little filing (dremel) on the edges of the T shape (short edges closest to the actual cut shaft) in order to get the hole in the key to line up with the screw hole in the case. Once those lined up, put in the screw and you're done. If the picture of the fob doesn't match yours, I'm sure they have one that will. Sure saved me a lot of money over getting a new key from the dealer or locksmith.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Those original formats are fine and inexpensive, but as I mentioned earlier, once you go flip you won't go back. Couple of reasons:
  1. Less easy to break off the key again with time and use.
  2. No more key sticking out making a hole in your pocket and/or jabbing you in the thigh (and parts nearby?).

·
Registered
12 Posts
But you still have to have the key cut? Or do they make a flip where you can also move the cut portion of the key over to the new fob too? My wife has the flip key on her new Rogue and it's definitely a nice feature since we have carry our in our pocket.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Yes, you need to have the key cut. Call ahead and find a locksmith that does these types of car keys, because not a lot of them do. That was actually the most expensive part, getting the key cut, for $40.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Here, I made you a little illustration of where the immobilizer chip goes. Secure it into place with sticky tack or even glue to that little space near the hilt. If if gets loose and falls elsewhere inside the fob, it's not close enough to the ring inside the ignition switch it has to communicate with and the Pilot will crank but not start (ask me how I know). If it's well secured to that location it'll work fine for years, as mine have.

No more hole in my pocket or key jabs where it isn't pleasant, and even Honda mechanics are impressed you did this. :)

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here, I made you a little illustration of where the immobilizer chip goes. Secure it into place with sticky tack or even glue to that little space near the hilt. If if gets loose and falls elsewhere inside the fob, it's not close enough to the ring inside the ignition switch it has to communicate with and the Pilot will crank but not start (ask me how I know). If it's well secured to that location it'll work fine for years, as mine have.

View attachment 134169

No more hole in my pocket or key jabs where it isn't pleasant, and even Honda mechanics are impressed you did this. :)
Wow! Thank you so much. I’ll share pictures of the end result.

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Getting that little spring in place was a test of my (lack of) patience. Note the little notch in the plastic circle where the spring goes in. It took many tries, with the spring occasionally popping out and falling on the floor.

Fortunately, my blue streak of cussing' was out of earshot of children and small animals.
????

?????

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
287 Posts
I bought a pair of flip key shells from Ebay for my 2004 Pilot, but the molded socket for the battery on the back shell interferes with the contacts on the back of the original remote circuit board. Plus, the circuit board sits loosely in the space so it moves around, making the circuit board buttons not line up with the gray plastic pushbutton keys. The overall quality of the plastic feels really crappy too, so I don't know how long it would have lasted with real world use, assuming I could actually get the guts of the remote to fit into the case. I only paid $15 total for both of them, with free shipping from China (almost 4 weeks), so I'm not out much. But if anyone else tries one of these cheap flip key shells for a 1st generation Pilot, check to make sure you can actually transfer your remote circuity into the case before you get the key cut.

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I bought a pair of flip key shells from Ebay for my 2004 Pilot, but the molded socket for the battery on the back shell interferes with the contacts on the back of the original remote circuit board. Plus, the circuit board sits loosely in the space so it moves around, making the circuit board buttons not line up with the gray plastic pushbutton keys. The overall quality of the plastic feels really crappy too, so I don't know how long it would have lasted with real world use, assuming I could actually get the guts of the remote to fit into the case. I only paid $15 total for both of them, with free shipping from China (almost 4 weeks), so I'm not out much. But if anyone else tries one of these cheap flip key shells for a 1st generation Pilot, check to make sure you can actually transfer your remote circuity into the case before you get the key cut.
I always liked the Acura flip key.

·
Registered
232 Posts

Link to the Ebay source of your woes please......

·
Registered
4,165 Posts
Link to the Ebay source of your woes please......

Yes, so if it's any of the ones I posted, I'd edit it out of my posts.

Well, as soon as the Admins get around to finally fixing this longstanding issue.

You may not edit more than 10 different post(s) within 7 days

1 - 20 of 22 Posts