Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently acquired a CPO 2017 Civic from my nephew. Basically I am going to continue his payments (as per our agreement - I bought the car from him) since he will be working abroad. The current key fob states that the battery is depleted. I have a second key fob but I think it needs to be reprogrammed since it does not open the car and such...I'm not sure if this is the right key fob for the car because it was given to him by the dealer and the tag states that it is for a 2016 Black Civic...his car is silver and it is a 2017. My question is....can I re-program the key fob myself or do I have to take it to the dealer. We bought the car 1 1/2 years ago...I suppose I could go back to the dealer we bought it from. I know this is not a Civic forum but I figured some newer Pilot owners have similar smart key fobs. Thanks a bunch. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
447 Posts
Have you tried replacing the battery in the FOB? Most likely a Lithium CR2032. Todays smart FOB battery usually only lasts 2 to 3 years. Instruction should be in the owners manual which you can download.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Went to the dealer we bought the car from and explained my situation about the "other" key fob or the non working key fob - that it was given to us by the sales agent during the sale of the care (which is true). So they looked at it and they told me that it was not the correct fob for the car since the key (actual) in the fob have a different cut which in a way.....I was not surprised. So they cut me a new key and re-programmed the fob free of charge. Pretty cool of them because my understanding with key fob - that they are not covered under warranty if it is not for the same car but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Wow--so the salesman gave you a random key (he picked up from the floor? Maybe from a junked car?)...I'm glad that the dealer made it right. I guess things have not changed, you just can't trust a used car salesman.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts