Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Key Fob battery

19K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Scott A 
#1 ·
I have a '16 EX-L w/ about 36k miles, that I've had since 8/16. This am, I got the idiot light warning that the battery in the key fob is low.

1. Is this to be expected in less than 2.5 years?
2. Do all I have to do is pop out the existing battery and replace? Will any programming be necessary?
3. What would happen if the battery completely died:
A. While driving? Would I just not be able to restart the vehicle?
B. When not at home? Is there any way to start the vehicle w a dead battery in the fob?

#2 ·
2.5 years is not bad, mine was less than that.
You just need to put a new one in and no programming is required, but be very careful not to let those plastic pieces (buttons) fall out of their holding area, otherwise you will have a little headache to put them back in places.
Apparently you will still be able to start engine with a very low battry (not sure if completely dead), you need to place key close to the start button and start car, so I think what I was told (at least that's the case with Toyota's), but never tried. Best to replace it when prompted.

#3 ·
Recommend using the Energizer Lithium CR2032. Cheapo ones don’t last long and don’t have as good a distance. In my pocket they still couldn’t turn on the car when battery new.

YouTube videos show you how. Dealer here charges $9. You can get a pack of 6 for $4.50 on Amazon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.