Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Honda Pilot EX-L RES. Just due to time, the weight of my keys and endless force for starting the vehicle, the plastic as broken where the key connects to the fob.

Are there any cheap alternatives? For instance, are there any small fobs I can screw in that will basically have it as 2 separate things: one for my actual fob for unlocking/locking the door and something to help me grab the key for ignition?

The real issue is that the Pilot is our travel/3rd vehicle, so it doesn't require daily use. I certainly could (and may just wind up doing) order a Honda replacement one online and then have it programmed at the dealer, but I generally service the Pilot myself and it'd be a PITA to get it there and wait forever for them to do their checks and tell me that various things need to be replaced (yeah, yeah, when it gets cooler LOL), etc.

Any good alternatives?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I took my fob apart (surprisingly easy) and it's just 3 pieces: 2 pieces of plastic (one with the keyhole broken: bad design) and the fob itself. There are replacement fob parts on Amazon, so I'll see if that works. Worst case, I guess I won't need to program one, I can just get a Honda replacement fob and swap out the electronic part. That'd be overkill to just replace a tiny bit of broken plastic, but given that it's lasted 7 years, not a huge loss.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
You can buy shells online.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
Reactions: Sha93

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,409 Posts
Call a locksmith. They are able to do the exact “programming” that the dealership will do. Much cheaper too.

On a side note, I’ve ordered several keys at the dealer and it was relatively painless. About $125 for the key and programming. In and out in less than an hour. No up sell.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
If the metal part of the key is intact and you have all the pieces, one of the aftermarket housings will do you just fine. Know that there's an RFID tag in the plastic housing that you'll move from the old to the new. That's the part that needs programming with a new whole key. You really program the car to allow a new RFID tag. If you can move your old one, the whole thing is a five-minute effort with a small screwdriver. There are threads here that have pictures, but essentially it's a little slug in the plastic just behind the inner end of the metal key. Separate from the little circuit board with the battery and switches that are the remote control part, which you will move intact from old to new.

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
134 Posts
That’s funny I’m dealing with the key fob on my 08 today.. somebody used threadlocker on the screw.. I had to get a little rough with it. New shells ordered
already.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
08 EX-L, 07 LX
134 Posts
The original screws come with thread locker
I’ve replaced hundreds if not 1000 key fob batteries and have never struggled like this. Pilot is an 08 so I’m guessing they aren’t original batteries, could be though, does Honda use Panasonic? Regardless it’s nice there are aftermarket alternatives.. I’m digging this Honda life.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Call a locksmith. They are able to do the exact “programming” that the dealership will do. Much cheaper too.

On a side note, I’ve ordered several keys at the dealer and it was relatively painless. About $125 for the key and programming. In and out in less than an hour. No up sell.
If you get a replacement shell, you won't need reprogramming, just have the locksmith cut the key blank to match the blade that fell off. I bought a switchblade type shell from Amazon, and brought it to a NAPA to get the blank cut. When I left, I put the broken blade in the ignition. It would start the car, but then the engine would immediately stop, unless I put the electronic part of the key near the ignition switch. When I got home, I just switched the electronics with the buttons into the new shell, and I was back in business.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts