Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my damn keys today. Would any one know how to replace the remote for door locks. Will they have to reprogram my wifes now? Any ideas on the cost of two new remotes. My wife is nervous that her baby is gonna get stolen.

·
Registered
494 Posts
slimjim,

Did you lose all three of your keysand remotes? :(
I would contact your dealer. My dealer here said the keys cost around $100 each. I'm not sure about how much it is to replace the remotes. I'm sure your dealer would be able to help you.

You should be able to use your vallet key for now, until you get your originals replaced.

Good Luck

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
New keys

You can either have th edealer just add the new key and remote, or have them clar all the keys and remots and just add back the ones you still have. This will stop the remote from working and the key from starting the engine.
The key will still open the car.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Master keys will cost approx. $30 for the key, $30 for the programming. All keys have to be present to program to the vehicle. The keyless remote will run again, around $30. All together...........about $100.

There is an alternative, your dealer has the ability to make a "clone" key. A clone key looks and works just like the master. To program the clone, they will use the original master key you have left. The big difference is that you cannot clone off a clone, but you can clone off a master. (so you will not want to lose the remaining master!) The other big difference is the clone (here) only costs $15! Of course, your still on the hook for the $30 remote.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I called the dealer today. They told me 49.95 for the key and 72.00 for the remote, but their is no reprogramming charge for the new key and remote, and no reprogramming charge for the remote and keys I still have.

·
Registered
168 Posts
To clone a key, the dealership has to have on hand this little handy dandy cloning machine. Even here, it seems to be a secret:confused: I have had a customer come in and get turned around when told something along the same lines as what you were told. Call your salesperson and see what he/she can dig up. I know I can do it here. Only costs $15. Have done it a few times.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Key replacement

I find the $15 figure for a duplicate (clone) interesting, as my dealer quoted me $45 for another key.

·
Registered
8 Posts
re-key locks and reprogram remote?

Hey guys - I just had my keys to my 2003 Pilot stolen from the gym while I was working out. Fortunately, they didn't have time to get the car or anything in it, and I have extra keys and one extra remote. The problem is that I'm frequently at this gym, and I don't want the car to be broken into at a later date. Can my remote be reprogrammed and my key locks be changed for a reasonable price? I plan to call the dealer first thing in the morning, but wondered if y'all had any additional comments or suggestions.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
As the others have said, when you go to get your new key, have the Dealer clear all of the keys out of the vehicle memory and then only add back the keys you still have and the new key. You will need to take all of your keys with you to do this.

By the way, did they only get the Pilot key or did they get your house keys too?

·
Registered
287 Posts
tim.s said:
....when you go to get your new key, have the Dealer clear all of the keys out of the vehicle memory and then only add back the keys you still have and the new key.
Will that prevent the thiefs from getting in the door by using the key, or only from starting the ignition?

·
Registered
8 Posts
stolen keys

Unfortunately, they got my whole keyring - house keys, mailbox key, etc. Working on rekeying pretty much everything.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Nathan_P said:
Will that prevent the thiefs from getting in the door by using the key, or only from starting the ignition?
Good point. As N_Jay pointed out, the dealer can effectively clear the missing key so the remote won't work and the key won't start the car, but the key will still physically open the door lock.

I'm wondering what would happen, though, with the security set. If you have the security armed and you manually unlock a door (from the inside), the alarm will sound and the doors will relock. It might be the same for a cut key that isn't "valid" that is used to turn the door lock.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Re: stolen keys

cindybert said:
Unfortunately, they got my whole keyring - house keys, mailbox key, etc. Working on rekeying pretty much everything.
That's too bad - such a pain. Anything missing from the Pilot the day you lost the keys? Did you make sure your registration and insurance were still in the glove box?

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
At the gym I go to, there's a community bowl on the reception counter that people toss their keys into. I've seen several people not be able to find their keys after a workout, and I'm sure there are some unsuspecting souls who never realize that their mass of keys is larger than it used to be. :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Nothing appears to have been stolen from my car, thank God - I think they were after purses/wallets and credit cards or cash. Another lady's stuff did get stolen from her car, though. I think the only reason mine wasn't is that I sat out and watched my car until my husband came up with extra keys and swapped cars with me.

My gym used to have a wall rack for folks to hang their keys on, but that might as well be a buffet line for thieves.

The good news is that the Police detective has already called me....the bad news is that even though I can identify one of the thieves, the hard part is going to be finding a name and address to go along with that face. Sigh....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts