Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have been looking at eventually modifying my radio in the '13 pilot. I know there are two that have been done by DMG and Scorrpio and a few others noted they cut the plastic out due to the double dinn depth. I think i found an alternative to the older dinns which included the CD player. These newer eXceleon's from Kenwood have a 3" depth which is nearly half the depth space of the other stereos on the market. Hopefully you can use this information as you modify your systems and maybe in the future the depth will get to two inches. As a cautionary note, please look at previous posts on this subject before you mod and remember this unit is less than 7" and the info screen equipped on your pilot is 8" so the mod would need to take that into account.

DMX706S | eXcelon | Car Entertainment | KENWOOD USA

·
Registered
484 Posts
Cutting out the plastic was much rather due to the simple fact that it is a touch screen. Kinda hard to get to the screen with plastic still in place.
Additionally, the surface of the factory screen itself is rather far away. In my install, I modded the console to bring the screen 3 inches closer to the driver. At least for me, I can comfortably reach it without having to bend towards it. If the screen surface remained in the same position as the factory screen, it would be a lot less easy to reach.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very true on all accounts. Loved your mod. Now there is an option which gives a little more room to play with, but that darn screen size creates an issue. The other issue would be integrating hands free, and other stock features with this option.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Frankly, if I did not have an ILX-207 already lying around, I would most likely consider this one:

The install would have been a lot easier, actually.
Clear plastic would still need to be cut away. I would not need to manufacture a new front panel, just get something like this
And hack it up a bit. The floating screen on the Halo9 adjusts for depth/height/angle, which would give a lot of leeway on how to mount the body of the system.
The screen top would most likely protrude a little above the dash shroud, in which case I would scribe and cut away a bit of shroud to match the rear profile of the screen and give it an 'inset' appearance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts