Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a quick read and good info for helping with your Pilot to last as long as possible:

"Eleftherakis and Khalil determined that between the built-in Type 1 and Type II contaminants from break-in, the average new transmission will generate 75 percent of its lifetime contaminants in the first 5,000 miles. That’s a great clue and can be interpreted a couple of ways. Either you need to change that fluid early to get the contaminants out or start filtering very early."

Not sure what the procedure is on newer Plots for flushing the trans as I have on 03'. The procedure for an 03' (probably applies up to 08'. Just check your owners manual) is to drive around to get the transmission up to temp., drain the trans pan, refill, drive around a bit more, and repeat three times.

Or, if the newer Pilots have a replaceable transmission filter, have it replaced with a new filter at 5k or ASAP if over 5k referencing this info. from the article:

"The longer a filtration system is in place, the cleaner the ATF will get until it levels out at the maximum efficiency of the filter. That usually happens in less than 5,000 miles, according to our sources at Racor."

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
This certainly stands to reason, much like how an engine or differential produces most of the "debris" as parts mesh in with each other.

Reactions: Oh3CoPilot

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This certainly stands to reason, much like how an engine or differential produces most of the "debris" as parts mesh in with each other.
I have a Toyota FJ Cruiser that I plan on keeping for a long time and bought it new. I changed the engine oil and filter at 200, 600, and 1,000 miles when I got it and did only city driving for the break in. I did the diffs and T-case at 2,000 miles then again at 6,000. New PSF at 1,000 miles. Toyota recommends changing the trans fluid at 100k!! I decided to cut that in half and did it at 50k. After reading that article, I wish I could turn back the clock to 5k and do it but, the pan has 4 magnets from the factory and if 90% of the 75% of wear material in the first 5k is metal, I'm sure the magnets helped a lot and I don't really have to worry about it much.

The 03' Pilot is the wife's car of which she inherited from work. It was a contractor project car owned by an independent team that she worked with and once the team split up she got it for free. Lucky her!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts