Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to stay with the stock head unit, and just switch out the speakers and then possibly add an amp.

I asked the installer at Circuit City about installing an amp and replacing the stock speakers with the Infinity 6 1/2" 6002c speakers and he said that unless I changed out the head unit I wouldn't be happy with the sound since I don't have pre-amps off of the stereo.

Will I be able to tell much of a difference just by just replacing the speakers without adding an amp?

Has anyone added an amp to the head unit and if so how does it sound?

·
Registered
112 Posts
bheckey, see my experience under the thread, Anyone done a simple subwoofer swap and happy? I stayed with the stock head unit and have what I think is pretty awesome sound...and I'm pretty picky. I may have been able to improve even more with a new H.U., but I didn't want to do that. I'm quite pleased with my result (and I thought the sound of the original stock system sucked).

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I also just did an upgrade to my system. I kept the headunit because I think that a thin radio looks, well not so good in the Pilot. I have seen a few with the install kit that comes with the little compartment and didn't like the look. I also wanted to keep my steering wheel controls. My system that I had installed was actually taken out of my 95 T-Bird. I had originally bought it from Sound Advice (SA). SA has (or had not sure if they do this) what amounts to: If you buy and install your equipment with them, they will transfer the equipment for the life of it for free. The manager wanted me to install my Kenwood headunit with 10 disc changer into the Pilot and I told him I didn't want to because of the controls. He said "Honestly, how often do you use the steering controls?" I looked at him with a big smile and said "Well, I never use the headunit to control the radio." So he said that he would keep the H.U., but that I would have to buy converters for the RCA's to the amps.

So I had two MTX amps installed, boston acoustic components in the front, boston acoustic reference speakers in the second row, and a 10" Infinity (new) in an enclosed box. The sound is awesome! I also hooked up my Delphi XM radio (not fully installed yet) and I don't miss my cd changer at all now. I will post all pics of my installed system once I get the piece I need to install my XM. Also in case anyone is wondering I had both amps installed under the driver's seat and not the head rest compartment like the installer wanted to do. :14:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts