Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Pilot in 2013 with the hopes of driving it many, many years. Here I am wondering if it is the right thing. I need advice!

January was pay off month! Then, $3400 for blown head gasket.
February was $520 for a belt tensioner
May was $200 more for a thorough fuel injection system cleaning that turned out to be a bug on my mass airflow sensor.

Will this really go for a long, long time reliably?

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot Touring
84 Posts
^^ bingo. Was just typing out the same thing.

Any work done by shops is going to be expensive and add up. You have to weigh that against a new payment if you dont plan to do the work yourself.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Agree with the above comments. Really depends on the history. Cost depends on how much you are willing and able to do yourself. These theoretically should last a long time as you can see those with 300K + miles on this site.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Need a bit more detail on the Pilot like mileage, condition and maintenance to get a better answer to your question. You already committed 4K on repairs and you’ve now had a few good trouble-free months. Post additional details on your Pilot so others can provide guidance.

·
Registered
586 Posts
I bought my Pilot in 2013 with the hopes of driving it many, many years. Here I am wondering if it is the right thing. I need advice!

January was pay off month! Then, $3400 for blown head gasket.
February was $520 for a belt tensioner
May was $200 more for a thorough fuel injection system cleaning that turned out to be a bug on my mass airflow sensor.

How’d you kill the head gasket? How many miles?

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
A bug on the MAF. How'd that get past the filter? 🤦‍♂️

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How’d you kill the head gasket? How many miles?
No idea how the head gasket blew! I've been adamant about doing service at or before when it was due. The shop says they've never seen one go, but mine did. It happened at about 121,000 miles.

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
The gasket was likely
I have no idea! It is the second time it has happened. I just ordered a new filter, but replace them regularly.
I'm a big believer in cleaning the MAF regularly and it's really easy to do. Just a few short burst of CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner right into the electrodes and let dry a few min in the sun for the condensation to dry off. This is especially necessary for those who use poor micron filters like K&N.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The gasket was likely

I'm a big believer in cleaning the MAF regularly and it's really easy to do. Just a few short burst of CRC Electronic Cleaner or MAF Cleaner right into the electrodes and let dry a few min in the sun for the condensation to dry off. This is especially necessary for those who use poor micron filters like K&N.
Great idea. I should do that. This is the filter I just ordered. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JK9DNNB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
9,475 Posts

·
Registered
9,475 Posts
Great video! I had no idea there was much of a difference. Thank you for sending that.
I like this guys videos. I recently changed my brand of oil because of this guys test based on less evaporation.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I would check the air intake tube that connects the filter box to the engine intake for cracks just in case there is another entry point.
I did inspect the sides I can see easily, but like the idea of a more thorough look. Thank you!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts